Sign in to follow this  

Standard fuel tank.

Stupid question but as there is not fuel gauage would it be possible to cut like i line down the tank and put a see through plastic part there ? As i hate the oversized tanks there ugly and pointless on a sm.

Stupid question but as there is not fuel gauage would it be possible to cut like i line down the tank and put a see through plastic part there ? As i hate the oversized tanks there ugly and pointless on a sm.

Anything is possible with time, money, skill and need.

Never met anyone with all four that was interested in cutting up a perfectly good tank to install a frail and  potential leak.

Could it be done,, well sure,, Have a go.

The IMS 2.6 gal team tank is smaller, and allows better seat position

The IMS 3.2 gal tank is not some huge oversize tank....

Or do like most and use a combination of the trip meter and fuel tap reserve function...

It's a pure street bike, never was, never going to be.... It's a dirt bike that was adapted for street use.. fuel gauges or plastic things in the side of the tank are just not something most want... so I think your on your own mostly.. Give it a shot,, be the first to design, build, test, install and have a sight window or digital fuel gauge on a DRZ

Anything is possible with time, money, skill and need.

Never met anyone with all four that was interested in cutting up a perfectly good tank to install a frail and potential leak.

Could it be done,, well sure,, Have a go.

The IMS 2.6 gal team tank is smaller, and allows better seat position

The IMS 3.2 gal tank is not some huge oversize tank....

Or do like most and use a combination of the trip meter and fuel tap reserve function...

It's a pure street bike, never was, never going to be.... It's a dirt bike that was adapted for street use.. fuel gauges or plastic things in the side of the tank are just not something most want... so I think your on your own mostly.. Give it a shot,, be the first to design, build, test, install and have a sight window or digital fuel gauge on a DRZ

okay thankyou but it would be good if they made tanks with the line down.

okay thankyou but it would be good if they made tanks with the line down.

I think you'll find very few that feel the same way.

And manufactures do not design, R&D, manufacture on a production level a product few want....

If it,s something you want, build it... Or pay someone to build it.

CNC plasma, or mil with a silting saw, drill press, some fuel resistant polycarbonate, hand cut fuel

Resistant gasket, hand full of fasteners, and some fuel resistant sealing washers

, time, skill, money

I think you'll find very few that feel the same way.

And manufactures do not design, R&D, manufacture on a production level a product few want....

If it,s something you want, build it... Or pay someone to build it.

CNC plasma, or mil with a silting saw, drill press, some fuel resistant polycarbonate, hand cut fuel

Resistant gasket, hand full of fasteners, and some fuel resistant sealing washers

, time, skill, money

iv always fought about the idea. I might ring around and see who will attempt it and the price. And go from there

It might be SLIGHTLY easier to figure out the odo reset, eh?

But I think the price to do what you are contemplating will help with your decision!

• Like 2

You can create a fuel level gage in a metal tank by drilling 2 holes (1 near the top and 1 near the bottom) and brazing a 90 deg elbow/nipple at each location. Connect a clear fuel resistant hose between the nipples.  You can even put a float in the hose if you find the correct float material.  Kawasaki used to do this on 2 stroke oil injection oil tanks.

• Like 2

For an oil tank on a 2 stroke it could be valuable, I remember those. But the odometer is what I would use to track mileage, not a gas guage. When it hits reserve, get to a station or the gas can.

I totally agree a gas gage is unnecessary.  I'm just offering a better solution to someone that wanted to cut a slot in his tank to make a gage.

i have seen several threads about gas guages... come on people is it really that hard to reset your trip meter and head to the gas station when that trip hits about 80 miles or maybe 70 to be on the very safe side lol or hell wait till it hits reserve and find a gas station! But come on... its "suppose" to be 2.6 gallon factory tank (meaning thats not that much gas...) its not that hard to do the trip thing or even to realize hey i havent filled up in a while better hit that gas station... rant over...

that being said i wouldnt fool with putting a clear "line" in the tank like your asking about thats just asking for problems!

I seem to get to the same mileage every single tank, so using the trip is easy. But if you insist in having a gauge of some sort, I think they sell gas caps for the drz with a float built in. If you insist in cutting up your tank, it might be easier to drill a hole on the top and one on the bottom, connect them with a piece of clear hose, the fuel level will show in the hose. Idk how we'll this would work, I think these tanks are double walled....??

Unscrew the cap and use a match or your lighter to check the level :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Unscrew the cap and use a match or your lighter to check the level :thumbsup:

:eek:  Yeah Baby.!!!!!!....For the sake of any children watching , don't try this at home....... :crazy:  :shocked:  :mad:

• Like 1

I gotta agree with the original poster,  aftermarket tank of any kind on a SM = not a good look imo,  stock looks the best.

a Fuel gauge would be great,  but like others have said,  just use the trip meter, and reset it every time you fill up,  only takes 5 seconds to do. 

I gotta agree with the original poster, aftermarket tank of any kind on a SM = not a good look imo, stock looks the best.

a Fuel gauge would be great, but like others have said, just use the trip meter, and reset it every time you fill up, only takes 5 seconds to do.

who says i have stock dash ? Or even one at all?

Why waste money on something like that when you have a reserve ? it runs out ...... You put it on reserve.......... you go fill up.......... you take it off reserve, job done