Sign in to follow this  

whats a good 250f?

hey guys i'm going to buy a 250f (250 four stroke) i ride trails 85%-90% of my riding and i feel that a 250f would be perfect. it has the bottom end power and the top speed for those bumpy top speed straights. my current bike is a 03 model 125 and it runs perfectly, i was just hoping for that bit more of a edge on the trails. i am thinking of getting a 2011-2013 rmz 250. what other 250f are good to get? im open to any, and what are the pro's and con's of them? thanks for the help fellas 

:D

If you ride trails, you should be looking for KTMs.  They offer models with trail appropriate suspension and gear (big tanks, 18" wheels) that don't weigh as much as a tank (like the "trail" offerings from Japan).  You also have an excellent selection of smokers with more trail worthy power than your 125 (150, 200), but not full-on 250 smoker power.  

Come to think of it, I don't know why anyone who rides off road buys anything other than KTM.  They have choices of 2 and 4 stroke, SX,XC, and XCW models, really nice stock parts like hydraulic clutches and braided brake lines running to brembo brakes.  Oh yea, they are ruining off road riding...

Edited by rpt50
  • Like 3

If you ride trails, you should be looking for KTMs.  They offer models with trail appropriate suspension and gear (big tanks, 18" wheels) that don't weigh as much as a tank (like the "trail" offerings from Japan).  You also have an excellent selection of smokers with more trail worthy power than your 125 (150, 200), but not full-on 250 smoker power.  

Na. Come on too much Kool-Aide. 

The op might not be necessarily talking about something like a WR. Most of the MX 250fs out there can be easily modified for the the trail and you still get a lot for your money. Sure the KTMs come "pre-modified" but IMHO a lot of their "mods" are overpriced or under quality again in IMO.

For the 250fs a lot depends on the year and maintenance. As a huge generality I prefer Honda or Yamaha overall for last 10 years, though for the immediate few years Kaw & Honda. I have not ridden RMZs in a while, but again depending on the year there are folks who like them a lot. My guess is you can get some really good prices on RMZs so shop carefully.

All the manufacturers have good and bad years, scope the TT pages and elsewhere for reports. Last thing you want is a bad engine or gear box year.

Na. Come on too much Kool-Aide. 

The op might not be necessarily talking about something like a WR. Most of the MX 250fs out there can be easily modified for the the trail and you still get a lot for your money. Sure the KTMs come "pre-modified" but IMHO a lot of their "mods" are overpriced or under quality again in IMO.

For the 250fs a lot depends on the year and maintenance. As a huge generality I prefer Honda or Yamaha overall for last 10 years, though for the immediate few years Kaw & Honda. I have not ridden RMZs in a while, but again depending on the year there are folks who like them a lot. My guess is you can get some really good prices on RMZs so shop carefully.

All the manufacturers have good and bad years, scope the TT pages and elsewhere for reports. Last thing you want is a bad engine or gear box year.

Everybody has their own opinion.  I guess I should have specified that besides my ktm, I also currently own a suzuki and yamaha, and I very recently had 2 hondas and kawasaki in the stable.  All my bikes are set up for racing/riding off road (not mx), and I like them all.  My (experienced) opinion is that you can't beat a KTM for a ready-to-go off road bike.  When I take my Suzuki to a HS race, I can be pretty certain that there will be no other Suzukis in any A or B class.  My Suzuki does work great, and you can make any bike work, but it takes time and money.  KTM offers 3 versions (MX, harescramble/GP, trail oriented) of set up, both engine types, and more displacement options than anybody.  But, like that other famous post says, they are ruining off road motorcycling...

Edited by rpt50

Everybody has their own opinion.  I guess I should have specified that besides my ktm, I also currently own a suzuki and yamaha, and I very recently had 2 hondas and kawasaki in the stable.  All my bikes are set up for racing/riding off road (not mx), and I like them all.  My (experienced) opinion is that you can't beat a KTM for a ready-to-go off road bike.  When I take my Suzuki to a HS race, I can be pretty certain that there will be no other Suzukis in any A or B class.  My Suzuki does work great, and you can make any bike work, but it takes time and money.  KTM offers 3 versions (MX, harescramble/GP, trail oriented) of set up, both engine types, and more displacement options than anybody.  But, like that other famous post says, they are ruining off road motorcycling...

+1 Agreed. BTW that post is infamous!!  ;)

Edited by Chaconne

I never get why guys want to go to a 250f off a 125. It's not an upgrade as much as it is a trade off. You trade your light nimble, cheap to run bike for a top heavy pig with no more peak power but a smoother power curve. Big deal. It cost more to maintain, buy and run and you give up the handling aspect. I say the best thing to do is a good 144 kit for your bike or move up to the next class bike, a 250f might cure your problems for a week or two but I doubt it. A well done 144 has no problems keeping up with a 250f and you can have the power where you want. Not only that, but it is much cheaper to maintain and you already own the bike so there's that too.

• Like 2

I never get why guys want to go to a 250f off a 125. It's not an upgrade as much as it is a trade off. You trade your light nimble, cheap to run bike for a top heavy pig with no more peak power but a smoother power curve. Big deal. It cost more to maintain, buy and run and you give up the handling aspect. I say the best thing to do is a good 144 kit for your bike or move up to the next class bike, a 250f might cure your problems for a week or two but I doubt it. A well done 144 has no problems keeping up with a 250f and you can have the power where you want. Not only that, but it is much cheaper to maintain and you already own the bike so there's that too.

you sound like you are comparing the bikes to track, if it was track i would keep my 125 for that exact reason. I'm talking about trail riding and a 144 will help bottom end by it still wont have that same effect as a 250f would and i don't need the power of a 250 2 stroke or a 450f in the woods. i would rather use all my gears rather than say the first 2-3.

and thanks for you're help everyone it helped me allot.

• Like 1

I just picked up a leftover 2013 YZ 250f for just over 5k OTD. If you could find a deal like that I guarantee you won't be disappointed. Yamaha's a considered the most reliable 250f out there. I have no complaints about mine yet.

• Like 1

I just picked up a leftover 2013 YZ 250f for just over 5k OTD. If you could find a deal like that I guarantee you won't be disappointed. Yamaha's a considered the most reliable 250f out there. I have no complaints about mine yet.

Nice buy, that's what i'm talking about. Even though no FI that's no big deal unless you are killing the track.

Nice buy, that's what i'm talking about. Even though no FI that's no big deal unless you are killing the track.

Ya, I havent had any complaints with the carb vs efi

Hey where did you buy that if you don't mind me asking? You are in Maine right? Southern Maine is pretty close to me that is a great price. I have a few years old yz250f mods for trails that I love, but that kind of money makes me want a new bike. Shit a used low use low years is going to be half of that at least. :ride:

Any of the newer 250 f are great bikes right out of the box ( and that includes for offroad). A 250 f is light and nimble and have a ton of torque . The torque between a 250 f and a 125 isn't even comparable and that's worth its weight in gold in the woods. Most anyone sooner or later gets the suspension done even the ktms so there's no advantage there. Get a 250 f and go to different dealers and sit on the bikes there all good its just preference. Good luck

Hey where did you buy that if you don't mind me asking? You are in Maine right? Southern Maine is pretty close to me that is a great price. I have a few years old yz250f mods for trails that I love, but that kind of money makes me want a new bike. Shit a used low use low years is going to be half of that at least. :ride:

Purchased at Woodys Yamaha. In Thopsham. It was the last one. Took it off the showroom floor. I believe Central Maine Powersports may have one for like $5700. Last I knew they did. They are located in Lewiston.