More Grunt

What is the ideal gearing ratio to achieve this on a 230? If I can't sell it, I need heaps of torque to do the things my smoker friends are able to do. I'm tired of coming up to logs and having my front tire barely make it off the ground.

Go down in front or up in back?

More compression ( Weisco orBBR) and the Web150f Torque camshaft would give you maximum low end power for lofting the front end over obstacles.

A Web 89a cam would give you more top end power with almost as much torque. ( with compression)

Or you could have the ultimate HP with the 12.5 compression 250cc piston kit installed from Mike Coe (race fuel)

Or 10.5 compression 250cc kit from Engines Only. (Pump gas)

More compression ( Weisco orBBR) and the Web150f Torque camshaft would give you maximum low end power for lofting the front end over obstacles.

A Web 89a cam would give you more top end power with almost as much torque. ( with compression)

Or you could have the ultimate HP with the 12.5 compression 250cc piston kit installed from Mike Coe (race fuel)

Or 10.5 compression 250cc kit from Engines Only. (Pump gas)

Sounds pricey! How about sprockets for now? Is it much of a difference to go up/down teeth, or is it negligible?

A cam thats designed to make more torque then hp would help. For gearing go down 1 size in the front will bring a feeling of more torque to the bike but sacrifice top end.

One smaller on the front is equivalent to four bigger on the rear. It really doesn't change the power characteristics much, just what gear you are in at what speed. Renthal has a real good gear ratio calculator on their website.

First gear is so low on a 230 it's almost unusable as it is?

I run a 15 tooth counter with two teeth smaller on the rear.

Even with that gearing I'm in 6th 10 times more than first!!!!

professor,

i switched from a KX250 to my current 230F. At first i was asking the same question, and wondering what possesed me to buy the 230.

I first went looking to make 2 smoke power from the 230...never !

i then decided that it was me that needed to change...bang instant sucses !

a 2 stoker can wait to the last second and then blip the gas to clear a log.

a 230 rider needs a different approach. get your weight over the rear sooner and let the torque "unload" the front.

if you are looking to keep pace with your 2 smoke buds, the first and formost change should be suspension.

get a good set of forks. (im running 86 cr500 forks) and change the rear rocker to the CRF150 unit.

i went down a tooth on the front sprocket when i first got my bike, once i trained myself not to ride my bike like my KX, i quickly went back to the stock sprocket.

when that one is shot im going up one tooth.

PS. Im keeping pace with many high power machines in my hare-scramble series. and its the nasty rough stuf where i make up time. kinda makes me smile when i pass the $8,000 bike on a root infested, rock strewn, log crossed hill climb on the $1,200 230 !!!

professor,

i switched from a KX250 to my current 230F. At first i was asking the same question, and wondering what possesed me to buy the 230.

I first went looking to make 2 smoke power from the 230...never !

i then decided that it was me that needed to change...bang instant sucses !

a 2 stoker can wait to the last second and then blip the gas to clear a log.

a 230 rider needs a different approach. get your weight over the rear sooner and let the torque "unload" the front.

if you are looking to keep pace with your 2 smoke buds, the first and formost change should be suspension.

get a good set of forks. (im running 86 cr500 forks) and change the rear rocker to the CRF150 unit.

i went down a tooth on the front sprocket when i first got my bike, once i trained myself not to ride my bike like my KX, i quickly went back to the stock sprocket.

when that one is shot im going up one tooth.

PS. Im keeping pace with many high power machines in my hare-scramble series. and its the nasty rough stuf where i make up time. kinda makes me smile when i pass the $8,000 bike on a root infested, rock strewn, log crossed hill climb on the $1,200 230 !!!

Daled, thanks for the advice. I put on XR250 forks and had the rear shock Hlebo'd. Full Pro Circuit with Mike Coe jetting. I could keep up with smoker friends and even beat KLX 300 riders with the suspension mods alone. But, ever since my friend let me ride his KDX200, I wanted no other bike.

In fact, I recently sold the 230 and bought a KDX200. They are magical bikes!

Those KDX's are pretty tempting :)  And you can find some in pristine condition if you're willing to travel a bit. Could we see some pictures of your KDX?

Check out Fredette Racing for a lot of good kdx info. I myself still have an 83 kdx 250, dinosaur drum only brakes. The 200 is a woods machine. You'll be pleased. I'm jealous.

Check out Fredette Racing for a lot of good kdx info. I myself still have an 83 kdx 250, dinosaur drum only brakes. The 200 is a woods machine. You'll be pleased. I'm jealous.

Oh, I've been boosting the hit count on Fredette's site! Even those older KDXes are a blast to ride.

I will post pictures as soon as I am done tinkering. There will be a before, then an after. Going down to the frame to paint it. That's what winter's for!

professor quote "In fact, I recently sold the 230 and bought a KDX200. They are magical bikes!"

i agree on the KDX200, and a KDX 200 with KX suspension is even better !

However im rather short legged, so im saving up for the new Sherco 290X ride..to replace the aging 230

Edited by daled

professor quote "In fact, I recently sold the 230 and bought a KDX200. They are magical bikes!"

i agree on the KDX200, and a KDX 200 with KX suspension is even better !

However im rather short legged, so im saving up for the new Sherco 290X ride..to replace the aging 230

You know, I thought it would be bigger, but it's about the same height as the 230 with the 150F rocker and XR250 forks.

And I've been told by numerous KDX riders that the stock suspension is much better for the trails than the KX forks. Unless you revalve/respring them?

Man, that Sherco looks awesome!

What is the ideal gearing ratio to achieve this on a 230? If I can't sell it, I need heaps of torque to do the things my smoker friends are able to do. I'm tired of coming up to logs and having my front tire barely make it off the ground.

Go down in front or up in back?

If you are riding relatively slow, the gearing has nothing to do with it... you just need to get some skills there professor xr.

If you are riding relatively fast, there is no fix for it.  The bike doesn't have enough power to loft it's front wheel once you are rolling at a clip.  Not only does It lack the necessary stones to do it the old fashioned way, the fact it's pegs position the rider body weight forward make it even worse.

I tossed some slick top triple clamps on it... rsw brand... helped out, keeps your weight up and back... fixes a multidue of other problems... 

But yah, you won't be lofting the wheel at speed.  I've got several bikes, and this one defiantely won't be doing that.. no matter what you do.  Don't waste hard earned money with cams and nonsense.  Waste.

Here it is after I removed the 972 stickers the previous owner had on it. He also had the frame painted a different green than the plastics, and about 5 other different greens in the grips, handlebar pad, handguards, etc. I haven't even gotten to the neglectful running parts issues. Thank the universe for winter time! It will look quite different before Spring.

1147B22D-AB27-4B13-9154-406A0B1E7413-191

VHT Chassis and Roll Bar Black:

F5245BC5-23F0-4D7C-A61F-F2F33794E0DC-209

Edited by Professor XR

1147B22D-AB27-4B13-9154-406A0B1E7413-191

[0000027BD70E6BA5_zps3cc37a79.jpg]

Good to see the new project. I cut the U-shape grove in my Hlebo shock do to you. With the 150f rocker it will bang on the frame! For most this will go unnoticed...good eye you have!

I did the crf150R forks and lost 4lbs and the forks are as strong as XR 250's. They also add an inch more Height. I went with the Shorai lithium batter, and also lost another 3lbs. I stuffed the battery in the air box with some modifications, then tossed Honda's plastic shell. Just got the 89A cam with Wisco piston and I have not a issue lifting my wheel over logs.

Having the plate is a plus. The KDX is a good choice if you know you'll never do street to trails. But if you need a plate what will you do?

Edited by The goat

Good to see the new project. I cut the U-shape grove in my Hlebo shock do to you. With the 150f rocker it will bang on the frame! For most this will go unnoticed...good eye you have!

I did the crf150R forks and lost 4lbs and the forks are as strong as XR 250's. They also add an inch more Height. I went with the Shorai lithium batter, and also lost another 3lbs. I stuffed the battery in the air box with some modifications, then tossed Honda's plastic shell. Just got the 89A cam with Wisco piston and I have not a issue lifting my wheel over logs.

Having the plate is a plus. The KDX is a good choice if you know you'll never do street to trails. But if you need a plate what will you do?

Nice mods! I probably would have made it into the engine before I sold it, but I've got 2-stroke fever right now.

As for the street, it can easily be plated--just need a horn and directionals. There are a lot of street legal KDXes smoking around. An FMF Q silencer quiets it down, along with a pipe guard to take out the ting-ticka-ting.

Brap-Brap!

Nice mods! I probably would have made it into the engine before I sold it, but I've got 2-stroke fever right now.

As for the street, it can easily be plated--just need a horn and directionals. There are a lot of street legal KDXes smoking around. An FMF Q silencer quiets it down, along with a pipe guard to take out the ting-ticka-ting.

Brap-Brap!

Ok I see your point of view...you live up in Maine, inn the sticks lol, so for sure you see more lumber on the ground than I do in sunny California. I can see you now popping a wheelie to keep it going lol.

California DMV killed 2strokes many moons ago. But I guess the tree hungers were right about global warming? No matter it's good you-all up there can plate 2 strokes still. Hold on to that KDX, and plate her if you haven't...as one day in the near future you will not be so lucky to get a plate on a 2 smoke.

When that day comes, that KDX will double its value. Trust what I say here. Good luck and happy trails. Wish I could own a plated 2smoke!

Edited by The goat

I like the KDX. It's the mellowest two-stroke you can find, and it's not heavy at all, so it's really good as a trail bike. I have ridden one quite a bit. The only thing that needed help was the suspension, but that goes for pretty much any bike. You can't expect to hop on something and have it set up perfectly the very first time!

It's slowly coming back to life. It's amazing the amount of neglect this bike was subjected to by the seller who rebuilt it. Here's a list:

• Leaked oil at the case seams–had to be split and rebonded. I guess whoever installed the Hot Rods conrod didn't know how to bond cases back together.
  • Leaked oil from behind countershaft sprocket because it had NO OIL SEAL installed.
  • Carb leaked like a faucet. Had to replace the float bowl drain plug because its threads were stripped and the float height was off.
  • Air filter was saturated with oil and leaking into the box. Had to be recleaned and oiled properly.
  • Rear pads were worn down to the metal and grooved the rotor. The brake stuck and had to be completely cleaned and rebuilt.
  • Handlebar cones were shot and bars might be bent–I still have to figure out why the bars are crooked.
  • Tires were overinflated to beach ball bounciness and front valve stem is crooked.
  • Missing parts: cable guides, clamps, kickstand, fork boots, fender bag, airbox cover gasket, headlight wiring, headlight switch.
  • Littered with poorly placed stickers and six different shades of green going on, including the frame, which I repainted black.

I understand that there are general wear and tear items that come with any used bike, but this was ridiculous.

98841476-4FD6-450E-928A-81C9C7CC9656-191

8CEA0C2A-4BD5-4735-9391-A5CDEB33E5F1.jpg

BCAB8339-DD53-4683-9B49-B66374050F3A.jpg

Edited by Professor XR