Sign in to follow this  

Surging and Need Advice

My bike idles great, blips great, accelerates great in 1, 2 gear but when 3-5 gear no matter what speed I am and especially if I am at a cruise speed it surges and cuts out, looses power. I have a 2013 drz400sm with full exhaust, JD kit 160, 62.5, 25, blue #4, 3x3, MCCT. I have taken the carb apart and cleaned it just to make sure and it did not fix the problem. I have turned the fuel tank to prime and that did not work. I have checked for loose wires and none seemed to be loose. I am at lost right now and can't figure it out. Do you think it is fuel related or electrical? If you answered,  please give me guidance on how you would check it out. 

Last question does the stock filter flow the same as a K&N?

Edited by 6o8Tall

I'm assuming you are still running the stock exhaust as well? Being that the machine is a 2013 and you installed a jet kit I'd say its prob safe to say that it's jetting. Remove the air box door and take it for a spin. See what changes. Then put the air box door back on and try to reach down as you ride and apply the choke when you are in your problem area. These are just little short cuts to determine if you are lean or rich before you tear into it. But, the fact that its all stock and you did the 3by3, I'd say its lean but still do the tests to be sure. And yes, a foam filter flows more than a k&n for the drz. I've dyno tested it. Lol. Let me know what you come up with. You are prob gonna end up having to adjust the needle, & main, or both.

My bike idles great, blips great, accelerates great in 1, 2 gear but when 3-5 gear no matter what speed I am and especially if I am at a cruise speed it surges and cuts out, looses power. I have a 2013 drz400sm with full exhaust, JD kit 160, 62.5, 25, blue #4, 3x3, MCCT. I have taken the carb apart and cleaned it just to make sure and it did not fix the problem. I have turned the fuel tank to prime and that did not work. I have checked for loose wires and none seemed to be loose. I am at lost right now and can't figure it out. Do you think it is fuel related or electrical? If you answered, please give me guidance on how you would check it out.

when you say cuts out could this also be described as a hesitation? As in your cruising and you crack on the throttle and it kinda dies/hesitates before finally coming back to life and going... if so i have had the same probably lately... i notice it sometimes in second when doing wheelies... hope to see an answer pop up on this thread... (im all stock by the way) i am waiting on my mrd/ssw and jet kit before i pull the carb because its not a huge issue.. but am hoping i see something clogging up my pilot jet which i think would cause an issue at higher revs?...

Last question does the stock filter flow the same as a K&N?

I'm assuming you are still running the stock exhaust as well? Being that the machine is a 2013 and you installed a jet kit I'd say its prob safe to say that it's jetting. Remove the air box door and take it for a spin. See what changes. Then put the air box door back on and try to reach down as you ride and apply the choke when you are in your problem area. These are just little short cuts to determine if you are lean or rich before you tear into it. But, the fact that its all stock and you did the 3by3, I'd say its lean but still do the tests to be sure. And yes, a foam filter flows more than a k&n for the drz. I've dyno tested it. Lol. Let me know what you come up with. You are prob gonna end up having to adjust the needle, & main, or both.

So you have dynoes k&n and the stock foam filter and your saying i would get better air flow if i had left the stock foam filter in? I ask because i just recently installed the k&n (i guess its not totally stock lol) (and yes my problem existed before changing filters) not calling you a lier or anything but just from looking at the filters i find it hard to believe...

My bike idles great, blips great, accelerates great in 1, 2 gear but when 3-5 gear no matter what speed I am and especially if I am at a cruise speed it surges and cuts out, looses power. I have a 2013 drz400sm with full exhaust, JD kit 160, 62.5, 25, blue #4, 3x3, MCCT. I have taken the carb apart and cleaned it just to make sure and it did not fix the problem. I have turned the fuel tank to prime and that did not work. I have checked for loose wires and none seemed to be loose. I am at lost right now and can't figure it out. Do you think it is fuel related or electrical? If you answered,  please give me guidance on how you would check it out. 

Last question does the stock filter flow the same as a K&N?

So after it cuts out will it start straight away?

Did the problem appear gradually or was it fine one day and then bad the next?

The jetting is good for near sea level with open pipe, I am thinking a venting or float level issue..

The K&N filter will flow better than the stock foam filter

Edited by Craigo 485sm

So after it cuts out will it start straight away?

Did the problem appear gradually or was it fine one day and then bad the next?

The jetting is good for near sea level with open pipe, I am thinking a venting or float level issue..

The K&N filter will flow better than the stock foam filter

Craigo485sm thank you for helping and the rest of TT members.

This is the time line.  Bike totally stock and run fine (552 miles)  then Installed all at one time FMF full Exhaust system, 3x3, JD Kit 160m, 25p, Blue #3, Extended Fuel Screw, K&N, New Plug, checked values, 15-39, 110 link sprocket set and 75-105 degree weather, bike  ran just fine.  Then after 30 days of riding I ordered a DRC Edge tail light, I put it on 9 days ago and since then is when my trouble started.  Since the problems start I have contacted JD and they said to put the clip on #4, my extended fuel screw I noticed was not staying in place so I contacted Kientech Engineering who send me a second washer, I have R&R the carb, I have put the stock filter back on, I have ran it in all three fuel positions, It seems to take a 8-10 minutes of riding before symptoms start, weather has dropped temps to 55-75.  My bike will start without choke.  Would you agree it just jetting or might it be electrical?  Does the air/fuel screw have anything to do with it surging? Elevation 743

Edited by 6o8Tall

If the trouble started after installation of the taillight then i would start there. Remove light and try. Unfortunately you have made other adjustments like fuel screw and needle clip positions which might affect something. IDK. Just my thoughts are if it was fine before then a mod was made and now its not, i would backtrack and try again. Just my opinion on how i would tackle it.

Craigo485sm thank you for helping and the rest of TT members.

This is the time line.  Bike totally stock and run fine (552 miles)  then Installed all at one time FMF full Exhaust system, 3x3, JD Kit 160m, 25p, Blue #3, Extended Fuel Screw, K&N, New Plug, checked values, 15-39, 110 link sprocket set and 75-105 degree weather, bike  ran just fine.  Then after 30 days of riding I ordered a DRC Edge tail light, I put it on 9 days ago and since then is when my trouble started.  Since the problems start I have contacted JD and they said to put the clip on #4, my extended fuel screw I noticed was not staying in place so I contacted Kientech Engineering who send me a second washer, I have R&R the carb, I have put the stock filter back on, I have ran it in all three fuel positions, It seems to take a 8-10 minutes of riding before symptoms start, weather has dropped temps to 55-75.  My bike will start without choke.  Would you agree it just jetting or might it be electrical?  Does the air/fuel screw have anything to do with it surging? Elevation 743

The jetting is fine for your set up....The only thing I would have done differently is the pilot jet size, (22.5 pilot jet with the extended screw..)

It is odd that your problem started with the addition of a tail light...I can't see any logical connection between these causing any issue..

Maybe a coincidence, ....maybe not...

I would start with looking at condition of vacuum hose, checking float level and replacing the pilot jet....