Sign in to follow this  

Am I the only one who really wants one of these?

Electric Motion's EM 5.7 electric trials bike. 

I cannot help but think of all the new places I could ride that currently do not allow motorized vehicles. There is no real laws against riding these things yet, as far as I know, in places around me that currently only permit hiking, horses and mountain bikes. They are very quiet, leave almost no foot print and can run for several hours. I called the importer of this model to Canada and he told me some very interesting facts about the EM5.7 

- They have a 2+ hour constant run time but since you are never really constantly on the throttle all the time they last for over 4 hour rides easily.

- They can charge to full capacity with a 15 amp charger in about and hour.

- They have no consumables - gas - oil etc. (a spare battery is expensive though if you wanted one $2500) cant imagine needing one though.

- They have unparalleled torque and traction due to the electric motor.

- They have amazing motor control and engine breaking.

- They have several settings from calm to insane, just like owning several different bikes.

- You can set them so that they charge themselves while coasting or descending on hills.

- They weigh the same as any other trial bike and are fitting with all the same high end components as any other high end bike.

- They are completely water proof, (no air intake) so I can imagine the depth of water one could ride through (maybe even completely submerged)

Not sure how these things are anything else but a win win!

Don't get me wrong I love the sound of my current bikes and am a serious motor head but these days with all the damn trail closures happening these things may still allow us to ride without traveling for miles to obscure riding locations that have yet to be found and closed by tree hugging sh#t heads.

em57-14_zpsafa7f65f.jpg

em57-2_zpsec785129.jpg

em57-17_zps9904f38f.jpg

• Like 3

No not trying to sell them, LOL, just wanting some honest opinions. I'm sure there are people on this forum with things to say as usual. :lol:  :cheers:

I just want to ride places that I currently cannot anymore.

After reading my post I guess it did sound a bit to much like a sales pitch, my bad :bonk: , but was just trying to point out what I now know about them.

• Like 1

I'd like to have one. I can think of lots of places I could ride where I wouldn't take my noisy dirt bikes. Yes, they are in a gray area. Here in Durango, electric bikes are tollerated on the paved river trail (no motorized travel) because they are considered "green". That may change though because the City is worried that some business startup will want to rent them to tourist.

unfortunately, an electric motor makes this bike a motorized vehicle. No real gain for urban or wilderness poaching. 

Not really, has not been classified as such. Simply put it is totally green, but that being said care would have to be taken not to piss off those who would whine about anything given the chance.

Around here (lower mainland of BC) some areas are already opening up strict "mountain bike only" trails to gas powered trials bikes due to the fact that they do not leave a foot print, these things can only make things easier IMO.

Around here (lower mainland of BC) some areas are already opening up strict "mountain bike only" trails to gas powered trials bikes due to the fact that they do not leave a foot print, these things can only make things easier IMO.

That's very encouraging! BC is just too sensible. :thumbsup: There's a riding area here that says four strokes only and less than 250cc. 

Edited by shrubitup

That's very encouraging! BC is just too sensible. :thumbsup: There's a riding area here that says four strokes only and less than 250cc. 

Who knew that a bunch of us west coast, laid back, semi-liberal a$$ hats could be sensible! :)

• Like 1

Pitbull, in your post #1, something really bothered me, if it's correct.  Batteries DO wear out, especially if the have a very "cyclic" life, using them way down, letting them sit for months, then charging, etc.   $2500 for a new battery is ridiculous. 

Wow Just found this, haters going to hate this for sure. Not even sure I would get one, right now it seems kinda strange but who knows what the future is going to bring. The trials bike I posted to start this thread is a different world though and I would still rock one for sure. Kinda curious if I could ride the thing under water too LOL, that would make a very cool video for sure. Riding a lake bottom with scuba gear. :ride:  :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-AzDZt1IcM

• Like 1

Pitbull, in your post #1, something really bothered me, if it's correct.  Batteries DO wear out, especially if the have a very "cyclic" life, using them way down, letting them sit for months, then charging, etc.   $2500 for a new battery is ridiculous. 

Forgot to say that this battery is rated for 1000 cycles. That is quite a few rides IMO. How many cycles so to speak can we get out of a normal gas motor before it costs you a couple of grand. This battery is a removable Li-Pol battery pack contained within an aluminum shell. I do not think it is subject to the same memory issues of a normal battery.

Here is one link for info if you are interested http://www.gizmag.com/electric-motion-competition-and-leisure-trials-bike/25579/

Maybe more info out there but I have not looked as yet. I went straight to a dealer and got to talk to the Canadian importer. But still $9500 list is a whole lot of $$$$ IMO, so I'm slow to drop the hammer and get one. If they were a few grand cheaper I'd have one by the end of the week.

Edited by Pittbull
  • Like 2

The better you look after the battery the longer it will last.

2.5K is no biggy. I spend that on my RC Boat and Heli Lipos.

I'd love one of the new KTM's when they come out as an extra bike.

Not really, has not been classified as such. Simply put it is totally green, but that being said care would have to be taken not to piss off those who would whine about anything given the chance.

Not even close to 100% green. The batteries need to be made (Lithium) and then they are like getting rid of nuclear waste once they're life span is over.

The power to charge them is also not Green power in most cases.

Direct, electronic fuel Injected 2T's would be as clean, if not cleaner IMO

Edited by AddictedToBling

Not even close to 100% green. The batteries need to be made (Lithium) and then they are like getting rid of nuclear waste once they're life span is over.

The power to charge them is also not Green power in most cases.

Direct, electronic fuel Injected 2T's would be as clean, if not cleaner IMO

Of course I know and totally agree with that argument, I've used it with the electric car issue. Power must come from somewhere and that production is not exactly what we call green. The making and disposal of the batteries is also as much a problem as nuclear waist. But my whole point of this post and my wanting one of these bike to play with locally is due to the fact that they can access trails that smokers cannot. If I implied or said in some way that the EM 5.7 was 100% green then I'm sorry as that was not my intention.

Next topic hydrogen powered MX bikes LMFAO

Edited by Pittbull
  • Like 1