09/10 CRF450r PC motor mods ?

Has anybody had any PC engine mods done to their CRF450r & can provide some feedback ?  I've got a 10 model & thinking about having some work done to the cyl. head.   PC did an 03 CR250r motor & it feels stronger in comparison to a few 450's owned.  The 09/10 motors are rated at 51 hp atrw but feel less powerful than the 03 CR250r motor.   After owning the 09/10 models I've gotten use to the power & looking to spice up the motor.  Here's a link to a DR write up on an 09 PC motor.      http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDQQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dirtbikemagazine.com%2FME2%2Fdirmod.asp%3Fmid%3D9A02E3B96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10%26mod%3DNews%26nid%3D0404BB1E079841A294FB49B6B98C89E3%26tier%3D3%26type%3Dnews&ei=-hxHUp7rIMr9qAHJloGoDQ&usg=AFQjCNGVMtVRY-VveyAOnNlDZ3gUTnbUxw     

Edited by H4L

I'd stay away from there.

They mark everything up 2x what it should be.

Things like valves, valve seats, springs.

A cam from them is like 600$

That's insane I can have a billet roller cam for a Sprint car custom ground and nitrided for less than that.

And if you think pro circuit makes any of those things in house your nuts.

Now don't take this wrong, they know what they are doing and could build you a rocket ship motor. But they also know what they are doing (taking your money)

But someone like Ron Hamp could make more power for less money.

If you went to a flat track race which is more of a HP contest (running the bikes wfo on mile tracks) you won't see any pc motors, but lots of hamp motors.

Theres a lot of 65+hp hamp motors that are using stock sized valves ? and 400$ camshafts.

Your wallet will stay healthier if you go somewhere other than PC.

If you want a ballistic missile,

Just get a Rhc head and Cam,

13.5-1 piston.

A power commander, and a dyno tune.

And you'll make the same power for 1500 that pc will get you for 3500

• Like 1

Thumper racing has been building BB kits and doing motor mods for years and would be cheaper as well. i don’t see them so much on the CRF boards but they are real popular in the KTM boards. i know that Travis has perfected porting heads and also knows how to build a motor to the owner’s needs. he does not go by a one fit for all approach.

What honda rated the 09-10 engine at and what they actually made were two different things. If you want massive HP, Hamp is where to go. He's got good CNC copies of heads that make big power. 

Call Ron, get the head, cam and combo specs for the piston if you don't buy it from him. Getting the package correct is the main feat when making real power. The head, cam, piston and MAP for the FI and correct pipe all have to work together. Its easy to miss the setup if you're not doing a shit ton of R&D

What honda rated the 09-10 engine at and what they actually made were two different things. If you want massive HP, Hamp is where to go. He's got good CNC copies of heads that make big power. 

Call Ron, get the head, cam and combo specs for the piston if you don't buy it from him. Getting the package correct is the main feat when making real power. The head, cam, piston and MAP for the FI and correct pipe all have to work together. Its easy to miss the setup if you're not doing a shit ton of R&D

Thanks to all for your replies.

Shawn - This was the reason I was considering PC due to the fact they've done the R&D work on this motor.   I use to race small block chevys (69 Camaro) in the late 80's & learned how important it was to have the right comp. piston, cam, ported heads, intatake manifold, carb etc.. as a complete package in order to produce the right power.  I've used that lesson & applied it to motorcycles as well thru the years.

I guess PC is expensive since not one member has used them...     

Edited by H4L

ive ridden a full pc motor kx250f and it was stupid fast. I don't doubt they make bikes breathe fire. but they seem to build for maximum power, not longevity and they are sooo expensive.

Hamp setup would rock.  Or even off the shelf parts can make those motors rock.

If i had a 09-10, budget build

remap (Eddie Sisneros, hamp, tokyo mods etc)

cam (hamp, hot cams stage 3)

13.5 piston

fmf 4.1 pipe and megabomb

ive ridden a full pc motor kx250f and it was stupid fast. I don't doubt they make bikes breathe fire. but they seem to build for maximum power, not longevity and they are sooo expensive.

Hamp setup would rock.  Or even off the shelf parts can make those motors rock.

If i had a 09-10, budget build

remap (Eddie Sisneros, hamp, tokyo mods etc)

cam (hamp, hot cams stage 3)

13.5 piston

fmf 4.1 pipe and megabomb

Yeah.   It doesn't take much to wake these motors up.   I rode an 11 with Yoshimura motor mods 13.5 piston, RS4 exhaust /  Yosh remap with FC suspension & was impressed.   The motor had a very strong pull thru the rpms but manageable.  I believe it was putting out around 60hp atrw.     

Thanks to all for your replies.

Shawn - This was the reason I was considering PC due to the fact they've done the R&D work on this motor.   I use to race small block chevys (69 Camaro) in the late 80's & learned how important it was to have the right comp. piston, cam, ported heads, intatake manifold, carb etc.. as a complete package in order to produce the right power.  I've used that lesson & applied it to motorcycles as well thru the years.

I guess PC is expensive since not one member has used them...     

PC charges 250 bucks for the same piston you can buy from any retailer for 120. You make the call. 

PC charges 250 bucks for the same piston you can buy from any retailer for 120. You make the call. 

I was considering Ron H. before starting this post, but after doing some research on the cost from PC it's an easier decision.   Thanxz....    

How about a stock '10 w/BillBuilt exhaust and happy fuel 59.8 HP.

Nice.