A/C powered X2 headlight blowing bulbs help!

Hi all,

I'm finishing up an electric / start dualsport conversion. The only problem is that It's blowing headlight bulbs everytime I rev it up.

The bike has an aftermarket 200w stator with one 100w leg going to the Rectifier/ regulator and battery.

The other 100w goes to my Trail Tech X2 headlight, With a Baja Designs A/C regulator spliced into the + leg and to ground.

When I rev the bike the A/C voltage goes to 30v+ on the headlight leg.

Could it be a bad A/C regulator?

Any thoughts?

No battery on the 100w leg to the x2? Is it the hid or the halogen? Those reg/rec need a discharge such as a battery or capacitor to take the excess wattage if dc. It will displace as heat at the reg or over do the light or both. Heat will kill the reg rec. Don't tell BD if it's fried. They usually won't replace it if your fault. Just say it didn't work from the start. If it's the hid good choice but that HAS to be dc voltage. If it's the halogen the ac alone should work. I haven't wired an x2 ac style yet, but our older bikes had working ac lights. I remember my old IT490 had an ac light and was a smoker. Both my x2's are dc wired and work good.

Edited by absynth01

Hi all,

I'm finishing up an electric / start dualsport conversion. The only problem is that It's blowing headlight bulbs everytime I rev it up.

The bike has an aftermarket 200w stator with one 100w leg going to the Rectifier/ regulator and battery.

The other 100w goes to my Trail Tech X2 headlight, With a Baja Designs A/C regulator spliced into the + leg and to ground.

When I rev the bike the A/C voltage goes to 30v+ on the headlight leg.

Could it be a bad A/C regulator?

Any thoughts?

An AC system doesn't have a + or ground.

Find the two wires for the 2nd coil. Run these wires to the headlight, and put one wire from the AC regulator on each of these wires, like you are shorting it out. You don't need any other connections.

+1^^

As long as that light isn't the HID X2. The + wire from the halogen x2 to one side of the reg, the "ground" wire to the other. Not really a ground in an ac system. But you're probably wanting to use the high and low beam. Or you could wire them both always on. Then it would be + to the switch if using separate hi/lo. If HID wire the low beam always on when light is on. Wire the low beam for both but only have the hi beam come on with the hi beam switch. There is a lag on the HID when switching. Not good riding hi way speeds at night with even 5sec of no light. With the HID burning both bulbs, you're still only at 70watts.

An AC system doesn't have a + or ground.

Find the two wires for the 2nd coil. Run these wires to the headlight, and put one wire from the AC regulator on each of these wires, like you are shorting it out. You don't need any other connections.

Thanks gents, this looks like my solution. since both wires are sweeping though +30v and -30v, and I only have one leg hooked up to the A/C regulator. I'll give it a try and report back.

It is a Halogen X2

Will this also fix my relay issues? I had the A/C powering the switching side of my HI/LO beam relays, but the relays wouldn't work. Is it that the switching side of the relays wont work wih A/C power or that it was still seeing the full A/C wave? It worked fine when the relays were switched with D/C power. I would like to keep the headlight system independent of the D/C If I can. 

Thanks gents, this looks like my solution. since both wires are sweeping though +30v and -30v, and I only have one leg hooked up to the A/C regulator. I'll give it a try and report back.

It is a Halogen X2

Will this also fix my relay issues? I had the A/C powering the switching side of my HI/LO beam relays, but the relays wouldn't work. Is it that the switching side of the relays wont work wih A/C power or that it was still seeing the full A/C wave? It worked fine when the relays were switched with D/C power. I would like to keep the headlight system independent of the D/C If I can. 

I highly doubt a bosch style relay works of of AC. They are made to be pulled with 9~15vdc.