Sign in to follow this  

How many hours on original stock top end

How many hours have you guys gotten out of the stock, original from factory motor never been cracked open piston from new? Also include your ability level. Thanks .

How many hours have you guys gotten out of the stock, original from factory motor never been cracked open piston from new? Also include your ability level. Thanks .

Im exactly like slowgs here in terms of skill and how much i got out of the piston. midpack B rider, piston replaced at 60hrs (still looked usable when i had it out), valves still OK. change oil every 5hrs and filter every Other oil change which some consider too long (i consider anything sooner to be wasteful but thats just me) but i do keep on top of air filter cleanliness.  

• Like 1

Vet a rider. Motor is close to 40. Maybe little over 40 hours. Tearing into it this week. Did swap a high compression piston at 25/30 hours. Engine has been fine. Other than the high comp piston,all I did was pcv and Hinson clutch and messed with some rekluse clutches. Valve train and trans has been holding up good. I change the oil 2-3 hours and filter every other. I am going to do a 290 big bore. I want more torque. I put an FMF mega bomb and the 4.1 can on. Even with remapping,it ran better with smaller outlet in exhaust. If you put an aftermarket exhaust,high compression piston,port,etc-the bike will need a remap. I did have a fuel pump fail and I ejector clog from fuel pump,but that was related to my oversized tank endeavor. I should have insulated the pump from the cylinder head heat and I was on a slow trail ride-pump got hot and failed. Otherwise,bike has been awesome and I plan on making it into a mini 450. This bike can handle a big bore. The head flows good and with stage 2 cams it will make a nice broad,Torquey power band. I like 250f's but I get sick of hanging at 12k rpm. Can't beat the weight and response of the rmz250,but miss that low rpm torque.

• Like 1

Vet a rider. Motor is close to 40. Maybe little over 40 hours. Tearing into it this week. Did swap a high compression piston at 25/30 hours. Engine has been fine. Other than the high comp piston,all I did was pcv and Hinson clutch and messed with some rekluse clutches. Valve train and trans has been holding up good. I change the oil 2-3 hours and filter every other. I am going to do a 290 big bore. I want more torque. I put an FMF mega bomb and the 4.1 can on. Even with remapping,it ran better with smaller outlet in exhaust. If you put an aftermarket exhaust,high compression piston,port,etc-the bike will need a remap. I did have a fuel pump fail and I ejector clog from fuel pump,but that was related to my oversized tank endeavor. I should have insulated the pump from the cylinder head heat and I was on a slow trail ride-pump got hot and failed. Otherwise,bike has been awesome and I plan on making it into a mini 450. This bike can handle a big bore. The head flows good and with stage 2 cams it will make a nice broad,Torquey power band. I like 250f's but I get sick of hanging at 12k rpm. Can't beat the weight and response of the rmz250,but miss that low rpm torque.

Ac717, your bike gonna walk on a lot of 450's.. can't wait to hear about the end result of the 290.. I don't think ill run a HCP anymore, ill stick with OEM..Forged of course..

Thank you guys so much. I appreciate it. I am pretty serious about maintenance and up-keep as you can see if you check my bike out in the picture thread. Bike gets tons of love.