What was your most memorable ride ?

In trying to think of a topic that could lead to some fun or interesting stories the title of this thread popped into mind. What was your most memorable ride...to date? I put it that way because I am always looking for my next most memorable ride.

I have had many and it is hard to pin one down as the above all stand out. I enjoy rides by myself and with others or with groups. I had many rides with one friend on the island of Guam when we were stationed there. My XS500 Yamaha was my only transpo at the time but some rides just stood out because of different things. Not necessarily just a pleasant ride but a dangerous element added to it. Like being chased by two guys in a car flashing a gun and my bike suddenly having fuel trouble making it hard to get away. Only being saved by pulling into the gate of the Naval Station and the guard stopping them. Till to this day I wonder why they did that. I have had incredible rides across the vast desert of the southwest. Seen amazing things in the vistas of the landscape or the wildlife all around. Awesome single traks that seemed to go on forever and wonder who rode them first. The list goes on.

So what have you got to share with us that will peak our interests or give us a good belly laugh. Maybe even a story of a really good/bad wipeout. Use your imagination and tell us a campfire story here online... ?

Edited by Jim BurnCycle Abbott
  • Like 2

In trying to think of a topic that could lead to some fun or interesting stories the title of this thread popped into mind. What was your most memorable ride...to date? I put it that way because I am always looking for my next most memorable ride.

I have had many and it is hard to pin one down as the above all stand out. I enjoy rides by myself and with others or with groups. I had many rides with one friend on the island of Guam when we were stationed there. My XS500 Yamaha was my only transpo at the time but some rides just stood out because of different things. Not necessarily just a pleasant ride but a dangerous element added to it. Like being chased by two guys in a car flashing a gun and my bike suddenly having fuel trouble making it hard to get away. Only being saved by pulling into the gate of the Naval Station and the guard stopping them. Till to this day I wonder why they did that. I have had incredible rides across the vast desert of the southwest. Seen amazing things in the vistas of the landscape or the wildlife all around. Awesome single traks that seemed to go on forever and wonder who rode them first. The list goes on.

So what have you got to share with us that will peak our interests or give us a good belly laugh. Maybe even a story of a really good/bad wipeout. Use your imagination and tell us a campfire story here online... ?

Actually, my last ride. Just got the BB kit and wasn't sure about fuel consumption, had been several times to this lake, but never the way I decided to take. By myself, which was ok since I do that a lot, but thru some of the toughest terrain I've ever encountered.....all of that no biggie, but the whole time it took longer than expected, and I passed a spot where my safety net disappeared, you know, the one where you say to yourself I can always retrace my steps? Well, once I went over this log, there was a steep drop off of 3 ft. or more, and that meant I was going forward no matter what. That's when the heart beats are more noticeable....hahahaha, anyway, made it to the top of this mountain, saw some vistas that were awesome, and dropped down to the lake and had plenty of gas still. All in all, a fantastic day of riding, and the reward was......all came out well, and without risking anything, none of this would have happened and I wouldn't be writing this.

Great topic, thanks for starting this, and I look forward to reading about different friends here telling their stories........... ?

• Like 2

Mine was when I was 16. I wanted to get a street bike and my mom wouldn't have it even though I had a dirt bike. My dad, being good and making us both happy, let my ride his DRZ-400S to school and around town (maybe 8 miles round trip a day).

Anyways, he had a Harley as well as the DRZ so we both did in town rides together on occasion. One weekend he decided it was time for a day trip and took my up to a place called Yarnell Hill in western Arizona. It was a 5 hour day and the longest ride I had done at that point. I had a lot of fun because it was my first "trip" and the scenery was beautiful. 

Here's a photo from the day:

100_2571.jpg

• Like 3

I have had a lot of great rides, but this one was VERY different...

1981 in Walnut Creek California,  My buddy and I both had Harley Davidson Cafe Racers (XLCR) https://www.google.com/search?q=XLCR+1000+images&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=GYxHUrTPCY7A9QTz1YHgAw&ved=0CC4QsAQ&biw=1536&bih=830&dpr=1  , they had been stolen on Friday night while we were at a party and after a lot of hassle, we got both of them back on Saturday night (no police support at all).  After meeting with the group that had stolen them (much longer story), we rode them about 3 miles back to my house, we were just damn glad to have them back...  The next week, the 4 guys who stole them paid us for all the damaged parts and paid for 2 complete paint jobs ($1510.00 total, and I'm sure the 4 guys never thought about taking any other bikes again)... I still have the bike today and so does my buddy... 

• Like 2

Doing a Group ride the Ayer's Rock and Alice Springs from Newcastle,NSW...back in the late 70's would have to be a stand out ride for me....

Riding a 1000 km a day for 8 days on a 1976 Ducati 900 GTS was a challenge in itself, not to mention my buddies and yours truly, disapearing into bull dust holes .,which were a part of the main highway in the Northern Territory back then...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHYqjcU8whE

Edited by Craigo 485sm
  • Like 2

Doing a Group ride the Ayer's Rock and Alice Springs from Newcastle,NSW...back in the late 70's would have to be a stand out ride for me....

Riding a 1000 km a day for 8 days on a 1976 Ducati 900 GTS was a challenge in itself, not to mention my buddies and yours truly, disapearing into bull dust holes .,which were a part of the main highway in the Northern Territory back then...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHYqjcU8whE

Even after watching that, I'm not sure I understand what a bull dust hole is.....a huge hole filled in with dust???

Would have to have been my trip to Tail of the Dragon back in June. Have had a pretty rough year and I finally got to take some time off from work. Loaded up the DRZ and headed 8 hours west to the TN/NC border. Did 800 miles in three days. Rode the Dragon a bunch of times, but really had more fun just riding the back roads of TN, twisting and winding through the mountains. Only to come out in some small town almost an hour away from where I started out from. Half way through day two I low sided on the Dragon and I considered myself lucky and took it easy for the rest of that day, rode all the way to Knoxville just for the hell of it. Stayed at a nice little Mom and Pop hotel. This was my first real motorcycle trip, and I enjoyed being able to ride in the most beautiful places I've ever seen and to find a spot on the map, ride to it with my only worry being how much gas I had. Bought a GoPro, wish I had more photography skills, it's a great camera.

GOPR0093.jpg

WindowsLivePhotoGalleryWallpaper.jpg

• Like 2

Would have to have been my trip to Tail of the Dragon back in June. Have had a pretty rough year and I finally got to take some time off from work. Loaded up the DRZ and headed 8 hours west to the TN/NC border. Did 800 miles in three days. Rode the Dragon a bunch of times, but really had more fun just riding the back roads of TN, twisting and winding through the mountains. Only to come out in some small town almost an hour away from where I started out from. Half way through day two I low sided on the Dragon and I considered myself lucky and took it easy for the rest of that day, rode all the way to Knoxville just for the hell of it. Stayed at a nice little Mom and Pop hotel. This was my first real motorcycle trip, and I enjoyed being able to ride in the most beautiful places I've ever seen and to find a spot on the map, ride to it with my only worry being how much gas I had. Bought a GoPro, wish I had more photography skills, it's a great camera.

I am not too sure how I ended up with that same pictures in my photobucket album....I think it was when we were disguising the bump in the Seat Concepts...

http://s775.photobucket.com/user/CraigoDRZ400sm/media/92cafdf5-219f-406c-aa64-e731d2115cf5.jpg.html?sort=3&o=31