tighening chain model 2006 400s

hey guys, i'm going on a rather long trail trip(6hrs one way) tomorrow and i noticed tonight the wheel chain could be tightened up.

It's a different mechnism that i'm used to seeing, it's one of those side plate that starts grading at like 1 to 7. Whats the proper way to adjust it?

Seems like a strange question. Adjustment is a cam with detents.  Set the cam to the same position on each side using a position that provides the chain slack you want. Make sure you do not tighten the chain too much.  Slightly loose is better than slightly too tight.  Remember, it is a long travel suspension and chain slack changes a lot as the suspension compresses.

Like Noble said, adjust it to where both sides are even and the chain has some room to move, but not too much. I personally make it so that when sitting, my chain moved ~ +/- 1" or a lil more. 

Adjust evenly, to the same cam position on both side..... better to be slightly loose than too tight.

I think you're looking for about 1 1/2" - 2" up and down when the chain is snug on the top and there is very little weight on the bike.

I always check mine while sitting on the bike with the rear suspension compressed and static. As mentioned above, should still be some slack. Too loose is better than too tight as it gets tighter under full compression.

I always check mine while sitting on the bike with the rear suspension compressed and static. As mentioned above, should still be some slack. Too loose is better than too tight as it gets tighter under full compression.

I'm not that flexible!!

I have ape arms. :D

It does get tighter with compression, but only till the point the front sprocket/swingarm pivot/rear axle are aligned horizontally.  At that point the chain will be the "tightest," then as the suspension continues to compress the chain will start loosening.

Is it normal for the chain to slap every once in a while? I checked my tension and thought it too tight. I loosened it a notch and it seemed to measure just right. However, I get a slap every now and again. Is that indicative of being too loose?

I get a slap every now and again too!!

Oh, you meant the *chain* slaps every now and then....and yes, mine does a bit. Better a bit loose than too tight, but the book says 1.6" to 2.0" free up and down movement (at the center) when it's snug elsewhere.

Edited by shuswap1