Sign in to follow this  

Future Project. I want to change the oil in my shock.

Ok here is the deal, I have an 09 xcw450 shock on my 300exc (previous owner changed it) I am not 100% sure if its just the fluid, or if the nitrogen has a play in this, but I feel like the action isn't as fast as it should be, seems like the fluid is too thick to me. when I turn the rebound all the way to hard, its almost rock solid. 

I am just wanting to know what are the needs for a shock fluid change? seals, oil weight, any special tools, or can you get by with daily tools. I would like to do it all myself (I know I can't fill the nitrogen) how much should it cost to do a nitrogen charge, and what ibs should I do? what is the difference in difference amount of nitrogen? 

I plan on doing this, this winter, and I want to get as much need knows as I can. 

I would like to make it, where the softest settings now, will be the hardest settings(if that is possible, softer, and more action is what I want)

The fluid in all shocks should be the same, it's the valving that's different. 

I totally understand wanting to do this yourself but I personally would pay someone to set the valving "now" and then consider changing the oil yourself over the winter when your not riding and won't have the pressure of getting it back together in less than a week.

The fluid in all shocks should be the same, it's the valving that's different. 

I totally understand wanting to do this yourself but I personally would pay someone to set the valving "now" and then consider changing the oil yourself over the winter when your not riding and won't have the pressure of getting it back together in less than a week.

Are you saying you can't get different weights of shock fluid? I know each brand is different from what I have read, but you can find 3wt shock fluid. I would change it right now, I can ride as it is, tbh in a way I don't think I need to do this, but at the same time from what I have seen, and heard, and learned, I should. I would ride a bike with softer rear before I do a revalve. and I won't do that part if it comes to it.

But wouldn't a different weight, and less nitrogen change a lot?

Keep in mind that I've rebuilt many sets of forks but never a shock and the rule there is that you only change shims not oil, as you always want to use an oil that's light enough already to flow completely through the valve without fighting it.  There is a point where going lighter will have a very small effect or none at all (and you may already be there), as all of the oil is now able to flow through the valve, going lighter won't improve the flow.  So at this point I'm going to differ you to the suspension experts in the TT Suspension forum. 

Yes you are correct in that changing the oil viscosity would be like changing your shim stack, but it's not a 1 for 1 deal, and it may not apply to you as you may already be using a light enough oil already.  The guys over in the suspension section will be more helpful, and at this point I recommend that you post your question there as you will get better and more direct advise. 

Please report back on what they say once a consensus emerges.

Are you willing to buy a vacuum bleeder to do it properly and get all the air out of the oil as the machine cycles the fluid? It's not a Showa, and can't be serviced as easily or cheap as one. I do my wp forks, I do both ends on my showas, but my wp shocks I have done by a buddy with the correct tool for the job. any air will ruin the action of the shock and make you wish you had let the old gray used up oil in there, because it will be better than fresh oil with air.

YouTube that old grump Slavens doing a shock and you will see. It doesn't have to be the $3k machine he has, but it's not a $40 investment either.

Edited by maztech89