Range of yz125

Hi all, I'm going to be running my first harescramble next month and had a question about refueling. The races are between 2 and 2.5 hours long of wider single track with average speeds around the 15mph mark for the C class.

I have the OEM tank on my bike, so I expect to be stopping for fuel once or twice. My question is, how long in should I wait before stopping? I'll have a stopwatch wrapped around my bar pad to keep track.

I understand every rider has different results in this regarding riding range depending on how they ride, but I need a rough, safe number on how long a tank lasts. I only have around 5 hours of experience on the bike, so I'm really unsure of the range.

Lastly, what are good techniques for filling up the tank fast while pitting? Our gas jugs empty very VERY slow, with the new safety valves and crap, and I really don't want to spend money on a race jug. Are there any good household items that could hold fuel and fill a tank quickly? I recall once at a race seeing someone refuel using one gallon milk jugs, any thoughts?

Thanks

I would say with two hours my yz250 would be empty. Also the only method for fueling I would use is just take the neck off and use a funnel, my gas can has a bad o-ring so that's all I do and it fills fairly fast with a larger funnel.

Thanks, I'm also on a yz125. So is it safe to try doing the whole race?

Find out how long the course. It's not so much a matter of time more then it is distance. Ask how long a lap takes. If it takes say 15min for a "A" rider to complete, plan it taking you 20min or more. Over a 2hr race that will make for about 6 laps total. If it was me personally I would stop at the end of lap 3 and fill up.... That should be your one stop and give you enough fuel till the end....You might be able to get 4laps in on a tank but what difference does it make as you still have to stop?? If your race is over 2hrs and you know you can get 4 laps in on a tank, then stop after the 4th and fill up....

And always have your fuel after the check. It would suck to stop and fill up your bike, roll through the check and them to tell you the race is over....

I checked the results from the same race a couple months back, same course, and the C class riders times averaged between 34 and 40 minutes per lap. With a total of 3 laps. (This race is shorter than the rest in the series... Around 1.5 hours) after some more reading I think I'll stop between the second and third lap, and I will make sure it's after the scoring tent.

I checked the results from the same race a couple months back, same course, and the C class riders times averaged between 34 and 40 minutes per lap. With a total of 3 laps. (This race is shorter than the rest in the series... Around 1.5 hours) after some more reading I think I'll stop between the second and third lap, and I will make sure it's after the scoring tent.

We did a 28 mile loop recently and averaged about 19 mph. My brother returned with about 1/4 tank left in his KX 125 and he was pushing pretty good, he lead and I rode sweep. 30 miles is a safe average for most 125's imo. The worst mileage I've ever gotten was about 2 hrs on a tank. Good luck with the race!!

We did a 28 mile loop recently and averaged about 19 mph. My brother returned with about 1/4 tank left in his KX 125 and he was pushing pretty good, he lead and I rode sweep. 30 miles is a safe average for most 125's imo. The worst mileage I've ever gotten was about 2 hrs on a tank. Good luck with the race!!

Thanks a lot! I will be there the day before so I might be looking for any other stock-tanked yz125's and ask around.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot! I will be there the day before so I might be looking for any other stock-tanked yz125's and ask around.

I hate the new "safe" self venting gas cans too. I drilled a 3/16" hole in the top back side of one of my cans. The can doesn't pour super fast, but faster than the others. The best way might be to use a can with no spout and a funnel? Is it a timed race, or best time wins?

always have your fuel after the check. It would suck to stop and fill up your bike, roll through the check and them to tell you the race is over....

Great tip for those of us who are new to racing, myself included. Seems obvious, but in the heat of the moment would be easy to overlook.

I hate the new "safe" self venting gas cans too. I drilled a 3/16" hole in the top back side of one of my cans. The can doesn't pour super fast, but faster than the others. The best way might be to use a can with no spout and a funnel? Is it a timed race, or best time wins?

I really am not sure which it is, what's the difference? I'm a newbie to the racing world. I haven't gone and seen one from this series yet.

I really am not sure which it is, what's the difference? I'm a newbie to the racing world. I haven't gone and seen one from this series yet.

Some races are judged by time, basically they set a pace for you to ride and whoever comes in closest to the set time for the loop wins. Points are added if you come in too early or too late. I assume the race you are doing is best (fastest) time wins. The timed races are fun as it adds a different element to it. I did poorly in the timed race I did, 21st out if 25 in my class. I gained a lot of points for doing the course too fast. My brother got 18th based on the fact that he came in slower than the overall set time (fouled plug, he was able to go fast and still be behind on time due to the plug change time). They add more points per minute for being too early, less points per minute added for being longer than the specified time.

It's harder than it sounds, the trail would go from crazy tight single track to field edges. Lose time in the tight stuff then try to make it up in tha fast stuff. It was really a lot if fun.

Edited by poldies4

Do not try to put gas in other containers. If you don't want to spend 20 to 40 bucks on a racing fuel jug then racing is not the sport for you:). For now use a large bottom funnel and take the auto vent spout off. Fuel jugs also have a screen in them to help keep crud out of your tank.

Good luck in the race. If you like it prepare to buy an oversized clear tank.

Do not try to put gas in other containers. If you don't want to spend 20 to 40 bucks on a racing fuel jug then racing is not the sport for you:). For now use a large bottom funnel and take the auto vent spout off. Fuel jugs also have a screen in them to help keep crud out of your tank.

Good luck in the race. If you like it prepare to buy an oversized clear tank.

Yes that is already on the list of things to buy before next season (this is the last race of the year anyways.) So there wouldn't be a reason to spend $40 on a jug if I'm only going to use it once. I'm 15 years old and have to pay for everything except entry fees. So anything I don't HAVE to buy, probably won't be bought.

Makes sense and I understand. You can ask around at the track see if anyone has one they will sell. Quick fill setups are nice and some ams fork out the cash for them.

Yes that is already on the list of things to buy before next season (this is the last race of the year anyways.) So there wouldn't be a reason to spend $40 on a jug if I'm only going to use it once. I'm 15 years old and have to pay for everything except entry fees. So anything I don't HAVE to buy, probably won't be bought.

Makes sense and I understand. You can ask around at the track see if anyone has one they will sell. Quick fill setups are nice and some ams fork out the cash for them.

Nothing bad about a quick fill but how many of you guys have lost a race by 4 secs? Its a lot of money to spend on a system that isn't worth it unless everyone has it....