Sign in to follow this  

Kx250f problem,HELP!

Alright guys I really need some replies in this. Here's the story. I took my 2010 kx250f to the shop bcuz I could hear a small sound in the engine that I thought was the valves, the previous owner before me also said it needed new valves. Before I took it I rode it around the yard for about 5 mins and it ran fine but I could hear that noise. So I take it and they said the valves looked fine and the top end looked great but they went ahead an put the new valves in for me anyway?? Anyway, they call me an ask me if I had noticed any other problems with the bike. I said no, why. They said that they out the new valves in it and now the bike will start and once warmed up makes a loud noise in the engine then after bout 10 mins the bike will cut off. They also said it won't stay running in low idle. What could be the problem??

Could be lots of things. What kind of valves did they put in, SS or Ti. If SS did they use the right springs. Did they cut the seats. Did they reset the chain tensioner before re assembly. Did they get the timing right. Is the timing chain out of spec. Did they properly lube the cam journals on reassembly and prime the system before firing it. Did they check the big crank bearing while they had it apart. Are valve clearances in spec now. No idea what their experience is, but it's their job to diagnose such things, right? Sounds like your situation might be worse now than when you brought it in. That's not cool. Keep us posted on what you hear.

@dragon. They were ss valves. It came as a complete kit with gasket an all. I went to the shop today to listen to it run an it wouldn't even start.. So I have to wait too Tuesday morning to find out what's going on. This shit has stressed me out so bad. But I'll keep you posted with what I find out tues. Thank you for the help.

@dragon. They were ss valves. It came as a complete kit with gasket an all. I went to the shop today to listen to it run an it wouldn't even start.. So I have to wait too Tuesday morning to find out what's going on. This shit has stressed me out so bad. But I'll keep you posted with what I find out tues. Thank you for the help.

Don't stress.  There is nothing on a motorcycle that can't be fixed.  That said, you took a running bike to a shop and now it won't start.  That would annoy me.  Looking forward to the update.

Maybe the shop needs to go back to school. These motors are very simple.

So it's now Tuesday morning, they opened at 9 and I still haven't received a phone call from them yet. Hoping to let you guys knows soon what's going on.

Told you guys I would let you know an the results are finally in..... Drum roll!

Anyway they put the new valves in an didn't set the timing right. Causing my new valve to hit the piston an bend, so they went in found the problem, bought me a new valve. Still wouldn't run. Bought me a new valve bucket. Reshimmed. Still no start, realized finally after me telling them that the compression ring on the piston was damaged. Replaced with a whole new piston. Still wouldn't run. Dug a little deeper and realized the intake cam sprocket had slipped. Tried to weld it but was afraid it was crack so they pinned it and put it back in. She started right up an cut off in about 3 seconds. Slipped 4 more teeth. So they ordered me new stage 2 cams. Over nighted them and received them this morning, Put them in, tuned bike, adjusted carb. She started like a champ and is running great. I took it in just for a valve change an since they caused more problems they paid for all the extra stuff. Def glad to have her bike.

Told you guys I would let you know an the results are finally in..... Drum roll!

Anyway they put the new valves in an didn't set the timing right. Causing my new valve to hit the piston an bend, so they went in found the problem, bought me a new valve. Still wouldn't run. Bought me a new valve bucket. Reshimmed. Still no start, realized finally after me telling them that the compression ring on the piston was damaged. Replaced with a whole new piston. Still wouldn't run. Dug a little deeper and realized the intake cam sprocket had slipped. Tried to weld it but was afraid it was crack so they pinned it and put it back in. She started right up an cut off in about 3 seconds. Slipped 4 more teeth. So they ordered me new stage 2 cams. Over nighted them and received them this morning, Put them in, tuned bike, adjusted carb. She started like a champ and is running great. I took it in just for a valve change an since they caused more problems they paid for all the extra stuff. Def glad to have her bike.

Thanks for the update. That's a great outcome. Those cam gears are welded all the time. Wonder how they could have possibly messed up timing. Maybe the gear slip made it seem that way? Those are stand-up guys at that shop. Good for them. Good for you! Ride safe. Check valve clearances after a few hours to make sure they don't move. Keep in touch.

Thanks for the update. That's a great outcome. Those cam gears are welded all the time. Wonder how they could have possibly messed up timing. Maybe the gear slip made it seem that way? Those are stand-up guys at that shop. Good for them. Good for you! Ride safe. Check valve clearances after a few hours to make sure they don't move. Keep in touch.

I have no idea how they managed to mess up timing. But I'm more than appreciative that they took responsibility for their mistake and made sure the bike left the shop better than when it came in. Feels like a weight off my shoulders to have it back. Thank you again for the help. I appreciate it a lot. Ride safe.