Should I buy a 450X?

All years are essentially the same.

Obviously, condition is the priority, over age.

2008 and later have minor upgrades (fork internals, carb apump, bodywork, 'steering' damper, and most importantly, triple clamps (less offset), and more.

Previous years can be upgraded to match without issue.

Read the pinned posts at the top of the forum for more details.

The main issue with all CRF's is the head. The valve seats are very hard, and the Ti valves are coated, and the coating goes bad after a while, then the valves start to mushroom and sink into the head. A SS upgrade is the most logical path to solving the problem. Once that is done it is a non-issue for 99% of the CRF owners.  If you buy a used bike with the stock head and valves, put into your budget a head rebuild and upgrade. $350-$800 depending on particulars.

Depending on your ability to properly maintain a dirtbike and your fondness for hitting the rev limiter, you not have to make the upgrade for years.

Everything else is the usual brand-specific doo-dads needed to get the most out of the bike.

Years 2005 & 6 had a transmission defect that is cured by running more oil in the trans.  It can be catastrophic, but it's pretty rare. 1 qt of oil fixes it.

2008 had a auto-decompression defect that is cured by replacing a pin on the exhaust cam.  It is not catastrophic.

Suspension is the big thing on these bikes. They ship with some of the best forks and shocks money can buy, but set up horrendously. 

Springs and a re-valve transform the slow turning, lumbering beast into monster whoop eater with a reasonable level of nimble-ness in the slow stuff.

Good Luck

• Like 3

Hey Krannie, i believe the '06 tranny had the upgraded 3rd gear... So no more issues from that year on.

Plus, one thing to consider, my 2012 has much more power than my '06 even after the engine rebuild with the '07 R cam... I know, that's crazy but it's true. There is something different in that motor that makes much more torque and HP down low...

Edited by crazybrother
  • Like 1

Hey Krannie, i believe the '06 tranny had the upgraded 3rd gear... So no more issues from that year on.

Plus, one thing to consider, my 2012 has much more power than my '06 even after the engine rebuild with the '07 R cam... I know, that's crazy but it's true. There is something different in that motor that makes much more torque and HP down low...

I hear what your are saying. Some bikes do get extra pixie dust.

But more likely there is a issue with the '07, cause all the parts are exactly the same, performance wise.

I just threw tons of money at mine, and most of it stuck, and now, it's F A S T .....

• Like 1

I bought a 2012 450X brand new, and after 3 hours of trail riding I blew a fork seal. Maybe it's because I'm on the heavier side for riders (210 lbs) and the bike is setup for 180 lbs riders. Took it to my local suspension shop and they recommend replacing the fork seals if the bike is brand new, said Honda cheaped out on installing higher quality parts. Since then I've put about 300 miles on the bike and have had zero issues. Planning to put a pipe on it for some more top end power, but other than that, I love this bike. 

• Like 1

I bought a 2012 450X brand new, and after 3 hours of trail riding I blew a fork seal. Maybe it's because I'm on the heavier side for riders (210 lbs) and the bike is setup for 180 lbs riders. Took it to my local suspension shop and they recommend replacing the fork seals if the bike is brand new, said Honda cheaped out on installing higher quality parts. Since then I've put about 300 miles on the bike and have had zero issues. Planning to put a pipe on it for some more top end power, but other than that, I love this bike. 

I don't think I'd buy that one... Honda OEM seals are the best that you can buy... Others will chime in to back this up. You may have gotten a bike that sat for awhile and had some debri between the seal and fork tube...

Also, you should always bleed out any air pressure before riding and as you ride the pressure will build. I use the motion pro fork bleeders to bleed any excess air pressure as I ride and have never blown a fork seal on 4 different Honda 450x's over seven years.

Edited by crazybrother

Just to make sure I'm reading this right.... If you have the 05 you want to run 1qt of oil in the trans instead of the .64 they recommend?  (on mine it always takes 3/4qt to get to the check bolt anyway.)

Yes, run a full quart in the tranny. Don't use the check bolt anymore. Just drain and fill, and you should have no issues from now on. I also have a 2012 and still run a full quart in the tranny as well as alot of other folks here do without issue.

• Like 1

I don't think I'd buy that one... Honda OEM seals are the best that you can buy... Others will chime in to back this up. You may have gotten a bike that sat for awhile and had some debri between the seal and fork tube...

Also, you should always bleed out any air pressure before riding and as you ride the pressure will build. I use the motion pro fork bleeders to bleed any excess air pressure as I ride and have never blown a fork seal on 4 different Honda 450x's over seven years.

...ditto...

He's making fun of all the kool-aid drinkers and similar who think newer is better.

NOTHING else handles like the X.

Did you get you hands on a beta yet? I've been thinking about picking one up. I notice our opinions of the x are very similar so I'd be interested in your opinion of the beta

• Like 2