Sign in to follow this  

Colorado Status update on the head-on collision.. About 8 years ago?

I remember 2 guys (I believe on ktms) had a nasty head on at rampart years ago. I think one of the trashed bikes was on display at an event at one point... Not sure.

I believe they both survived... Any word on these guys? It's definitely been at least 6 years probably more like 8ish.

I almost mowed a guy yesterday and remembered hearing about the two ktm guys from years ago. Just curious how they are and if they still ride

It was September 06. A KTM 520 and a Honda 450R. I had ridden 677 that day, so it had my full attention.

From the reports of that day, both riders survived the night, which is a great start. I haven't heard any update. OBgod3 was reporting here and on KTM talk, maybe he has heard about the recovery.

Edited by Leardriver

I believe one of the guys lost his sight and never regained it.

People think that rampart is a damn race track in the forest. People need to slow down and remember that it's 2 way traffic and blind corners. I've had close calls with &%$#@! hauling ass and hit my bars. F#ck rampart.

• Like 2

Thanks for the opinion but this will not be a debate thread. Please stay on topic.

I see selfish reckless behavior at the grocery store. I don't stop eating.

Every time I have the privilege to ride a jewel like Rampart, I consider myself lucky.

I always wanted to know the outcome of that collision. I suspect that all parties involved are suffering from physical challenges to this day. Someone will chime in.

I have only ridden there maybe 6 times, but managed to have 2 very close calls.  Both were almost head on wrecks at speed where we both just scraped bar ends.  Neither one ended in a wreck but it was damn close. Both of these encounters were mid week afternoons with light traffic.

I'm no racer by any means, but it is just too easy to go fast there and there's no technical challenges to slow you down.  Then there are the quad=tards riding two up at a snails pace, and  who are clueless to their surroundings taking up the entire trail, that won't let you pass.

Of the two carnage stories that I know that have happened there, one guy ended up quadriplegic and the other one ended up minus 2 fingers.  

People think that rampart is a damn race track in the forest. People need to slow down and remember that it's 2 way traffic and blind corners. I've had close calls with &%$#@! hauling ass and hit my bars. F#ck rampart.

I see selfish reckless behavior at the grocery store. I don't stop eating.

Every time I have the privilege to ride a jewel like Rampart, I consider myself lucky.

I always wanted to know the outcome of that collision. I suspect that all parties involved are suffering from physical challenges to this day. Someone will chime in.

I am pretty sure I was there that day and was one of the first folks to pull up on them, it was a mess, we tried to keep them stable until rescue could arrive, which was a while.  There were two other guys there before us, then me, my son and a friend of mine. 

At one point my buddy went for help, later I eneded going also and did find a ranger.  Man I rememebr finding the ranger and telling him where it was, a lady was with him looking for her husband on a red honda...yikes I thought and she asked me if one was a honda, I said I wasnt sure, but I knew.  That was a scary day, they brought in flight for life right at clearing at the end of that part of 677 before you head back down the mountain.

I know one guy was unconsious and the other was in and out but pretty sure with internal bleeding and i was pretty sure chest, leg and maybe pelvis injuries.  The other guy didnt have a lot of noticable injuries and he was out cold, but looked like possible spinal injuries as he was not moving at all.  I dont want to speculate too much as it was a while ago.

I heard a lot of stoires about how it ended up, I was told both survived and both had long recovereies, the one guy I thought was the worst I heard had major damage and was not likely to walk normal or at all again.  This could all be BS also since I never got the status from anyone of authority.

FYI I broke my collarbone a couple years ago when I was going too fast and had to divert to miss some quads, all my fault so I know the dangers of riding too fast at Rampart.

Here is the original post: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/348954-real-bad-accident-at-rampart-today-677b/

Here is a picture.

KTMCRSH6-M.jpg

Edited by obgod3

I can't remember the guys name that lost his sight, Donovan I believe. My son used to ride with him a few times while visiting his mom who lived up there. My sons mothers side of family lives up there and knows the rider well. Yes he has lost his sight. That is another reason why I ride slow up on those trails, I enjoy the ride. If I want fast, go to open dunes.

where i ride, collisions are part of leading. In my years of riding, i found that the newer, not very good riders, have worse accidents than lets say 2 pros coming head on. Sometimes the slower more inexperienced is the killer. On trails, it is your responsability to be prepared at all times.

I HATE when parents put there kids up front on trails, itll kill em if a larger rider swings a corner.

where i ride, collisions are part of leading. In my years of riding, i found that the newer, not very good riders, have worse accidents than lets say 2 pros coming head on. Sometimes the slower more inexperienced is the killer. On trails, it is your responsability to be prepared at all times.

I'm not sure why you are saying it is MY responsibility (for example) to be prepared for YOU to come blasting around a blind corner swinging it wide?  That seems to be what you're saying.

I was riding at 717 this last summer and some jerk came blasting around a corner really on the gas like it was his personal track and just about wiped me out. I was going at a speed from which I could stop if needed...and I mostly got stopped but he was going so fast there wasn't time to get fully stopped or move or anything. If the jerk going race pace on a 2 way trail blasts me when he comes around a blind corner, why is it my fault?  I was prepared...he wasn't!!!  What am I to do?

Where do you ride cuz I don't wanna be part of regular collisions.

I can't imagine how fast you'd have to be going to do that to a bike!

We weren't going very fast....did this to the front wheel, bent both forks, triple clamps, and steering head. Broke my foot and both bones in her forearm. A situation where a younger inexperienced rider was out front, head down....ran right into me.

P6090002_zps4cc7f577.jpg

I'm not sure why you are saying it is MY responsibility (for example) to be prepared for YOU to come blasting around a blind corner swinging it wide?  That seems to be what you're saying.

I was riding at 717 this last summer and some jerk came blasting around a corner really on the gas like it was his personal track and just about wiped me out. I was going at a speed from which I could stop if needed...and I mostly got stopped but he was going so fast there wasn't time to get fully stopped or move or anything. If the jerk going race pace on a 2 way trail blasts me when he comes around a blind corner, why is it my fault?  I was prepared...he wasn't!!!  What am I to do?

Where do you ride cuz I don't wanna be part of regular collisions.

It IS your responsibility. Do you want to get hurt? Sure, The faster rider my not stop and may be more "at fault", but you should always be prepared! Its a 2 way trail and you have to be aware. Dont be so ignorant. Guys do race pace all the time and it doesnt matter what you say, they are going to go fast. So be smart and be ready. that is all im saying. When you end up in a collision like the one above, I bet you change your mind about being prepared.

717 is huge on collisions if you go out on a busy weekend. All it takes are 2 riders doing 15mph for it to get out of hand. Was that jerk on a yz250? And obviously you wernt going slow enough to stop in time if you didnt stop in time. Head ons can rarely be pointed to one person.

Edited by Steezy Badman

It IS your responsibility. Do you want to get hurt? Sure, The faster rider my not stop and may be more "at fault", but you should always be prepared! Its a 2 way trail and you have to be aware. Dont be so ignorant. Guys do race pace all the time and it doesnt matter what you say, they are going to go fast. So be smart and be ready. that is all im saying. When you end up in a collision like the one above, I bet you change your mind about being prepared.

717 is huge on collisions if you go out on a busy weekend. All it takes are 2 riders doing 15mph for it to get out of hand. Was that jerk on a yz250? And obviously you wernt going slow enough to stop in time if you didnt stop in time. Head ons can rarely be pointed to one person.

Well...thanks for calling me names. I guess I wasn't 100% clear...absent not riding, I am always as prepared as possible for someone hauling ass like it is their personal playground, but therein lies the problem. Others will be there too. Crowded weekends are a poor time to haul ass around blind corners.

I understand having fun and going fast (we love it too!) but when corners come up, I back it down a notch if I can't see whats coming to avoid a possible crash. If I hadn't, there might have been 2 more people in similar situation as the guys this tjhread was about. I nearly stopped and moved over...the other guy zigged just enough to miss me.  My preparedness avoided the accident which would have been HIS fault.

Was that jerk on a yz250? And obviously you wernt going slow enough to stop in time if you didnt stop in time. Head ons can rarely be pointed to one person.

Pretty sure it was a WR450, Dave. Likely 2006 vintage. Perhaps even with white plastics.