Sign in to follow this  

Bike dies after riding a while.

Hey Ill start off with an introduction as I'm fairly new to TT. My name is Pierce I'm new to crfs and fairly new to dirt bikes. I got this 02 crf450r about a month ago but I've had a broken ankle and haven't been able to ride. I've changed my fluids, air filter ect just basically tuned it up since I got it. I've ridden it for short times without any problem. Today I got on it for the first time to really ride and after about ten minutes of riding I started choking out. Kind of sounded like I wasn't getting enough gas. So I filled my tank with premium grade gas. Started it back up rode for about a minute and it did it again. This time so bad it died on me and wouldn't start again. The fact that it took ten minutes makes me think that I'm overheating. But my radiator is full(haven't change the coolant since I bought it). Anyone had this problem or have any ideas?

1. gas cap is not venting (fuel lock)

2. stator is fried, and the windings are becoming 'open' after the coils heat up

Usually the hard starting after if fails is because of all the unspent fuel and carbon in the cylinder, and is not directly related.

You can confirm #1 by taking the gas cap off

You can confirm # 2 by following the service manual stator coil resistance test. You test cold and hot.

1. gas cap is not venting (fuel lock)

2. stator is fried, and the windings are becoming 'open' after the coils heat up

Usually the hard starting after if fails is because of all the unspent fuel and carbon in the cylinder, and is not directly related.

You can confirm #1 by taking the gas cap off

You can confirm # 2 by following the service manual stator coil resistance test. You test cold and hot.

Not a fuel lock it ran choppy with the cap on or off. Im going to check into the stator coil theory. I rode a few minutes today and I could keep it going as long as I had the throttle pulled even just slightly but it would run choppy giving me short lapses of no power... The minute I pulled clutch and applied brake started to slow down it quickly died. But would start back up with a few kicks. It seems to run better idling. You think it could be a faulty gas issue? Water in the gas maybe?

Sounds to me like a piece of dirt floating around the float bowl getting stuck in the jet, falling back out and getting sucked up again. But it could be the stator too. 

If you have the facility to check the stator hot, check it that way. I'll put a suspect stator in the oven before I do a resistance check on it. The heat in the windings will expose a winding that's going open, or to ground.

Id start at the carb since its easiet. Pull the jets and make sure they're clear.