Sign in to follow this  

650L won't stay running for awhile

Hi guys,

I have a XR650L I bought the other day...while the bike is warm, it has a high idle....after some riding the bike will randomly shut off if just crusing...I cleaned out the pilot jet and that seemed to help out the hard to start problem..

ideas?

Thanks!

Are you saying that it will shut off under power as opposed to while idling?

If that is the case, I would be looking at electrical issues like CDI unit or Pulse Generator.

Is there a chance that the fuel tank is not breathing properly and a vacuum prevents it from getting enough fuel?

Are you saying that it will shut off under power as opposed to while idling?

If that is the case, I would be looking at electrical issues like CDI unit or Pulse Generator.

Is there a chance that the fuel tank is not breathing properly and a vacuum prevents it from getting enough fuel?

Yes, shut off under power...it also has a bit of a high idle.

I didn't really think it was something electrical like the safety switches since it still has spark

When it turn the petcock on the gas pours out with the cap on and the carb fills up, so i'm pretty sure its getting fuel.

You can turn the idle adjustment knob on the left side of the carburetor to set the idle to whatever you want.  I tend to keep mine a little on the high side because I don't want to accidentally kill the engine in some tricky dirt section.

Turning on your petcock when the bike has been sitting is different from when you've been riding and it just died.  Next time it dies you need to immediately open the fuel filler and see if any air gets sucked in at all.  Waiting even two or three minutes is likely to equalized the pressure and you won't notice anything.

Does the bike always start right back up after it dies?

You can turn the idle adjustment knob on the left side of the carburetor to set the idle to whatever you want.  I tend to keep mine a little on the high side because I don't want to accidentally kill the engine in some tricky dirt section.

Turning on your petcock when the bike has been sitting is different from when you've been riding and it just died.  Next time it dies you need to immediately open the fuel filler and see if any air gets sucked in at all.  Waiting even two or three minutes is likely to equalized the pressure and you won't notice anything.

Does the bike always start right back up after it dies?

The bike doesn't start up immediately after it dies, it has restarted quickly once...the other times I had to let it sit for awhile. Now I can't start it up at all.

Edited by honcrf150

Are you getting proper spark when it won't start?

Have the valves been adjusted recently?

If the carburetor is working reasonably well and you're getting spark at the right time, and you have decent compression, it should run.  You need to figure out which of those is lacking when it won't run.

Are you getting proper spark when it won't start?

Have the valves been adjusted recently?

If the carburetor is working reasonably well and you're getting spark at the right time, and you have decent compression, it should run.  You need to figure out which of those is lacking when it won't run.

Checked the valves this morning..all within spec..the intake on the left was a little tight but adjusted it.

I am getting spark..

Checked the CDI box just now, took it out, tapped on it, beat on it, nothing..

So last night I put a fresh sparkplug in it to see if that would help..it didn't..I just now took the new sprk plug out and it was completely dry..not a drop on it...

So it's not getting gas. Somehow..

Spark plugs don't get covered in gas anymore unless the bike is super flooded..they will always appear slightly dry..at least mine does .

Could be an airleak around the carb when the bike warms or maybe a valve seat issue..Get the bike hot and running and spray some ether round the carb inlet manifold to the head and see if the idle speed or revs change..that'll eliminate the airleak theory..The valve seat one I'll leave to experts if they decide it may be an issue..

May even be an auto decomp issue,,could be hundreds of things tbh..So the bike won't start..

Wind the throttle around to full bore and crank it over,,does it start??..You also say you cleaned the Pilot jet,,Did you clean all the tiny holes that run up the side of it??You should have done the main jet as well while you were there..That needs removing as does the tube it screws into..That tube also has tiny holes up the side,,they all need cleaning with a strand from a wire brush..No half hearted cleaning efforts,,jets out,,tubes out,,clean all..

Edited by Horri

Spark plugs don't get covered in gas anymore unless the bike is super flooded..they will always appear slightly dry..at least mine does .

Could be an airleak around the carb when the bike warms or maybe a valve seat issue..Get the bike hot and running and spray some ether round the carb inlet manifold to the head and see if the idle speed or revs change..that'll eliminate the airleak theory..The valve seat one I'll leave to experts if they decide it may be an issue..

May even be an auto decomp issue,,could be hundreds of things tbh..So the bike won't start..

Wind the throttle around to full bore and crank it over,,does it start??..You also say you cleaned the Pilot jet,,Did you clean all the tiny holes that run up the side of it??You should have done the main jet as well while you were there..That needs removing as does the tube it screws into..That tube also has tiny holes up the side,,they all need cleaning with a strand from a wire brush..No half hearted cleaning efforts,,jets out,,tubes out,,clean all..

I cleaned the main as well, it was just the pilot that may have had some junk in it. Going to go clean it again and put it back on and see if that works...

one thing I found out when I was pulling the carb last night, the hose coming out the front of the carb was unplugged, where does that go to?

I'm thinking can we rule out something electrical since I have a consistant spark? Like killswitch, CDI, sidestand switch etc?

I don't know what it was, but I think the bike is running correctly now...

Starts pretty decent cold, when its warm..just the thought of pressing the magic button fires it right up..

WOOT!

Finally got to ride it a bit..took it out on the road around the block and took it out in the back yard..I think i'm starting to love BRP's!! It's a beast!

Edited by honcrf150

Glad to hear that it's working now.

I ilke my XR650L more and more the longer I own it.  I think I'm coming up on five years now with the 2001.  It's frustrating when it isn't working right, but wonderful when it runs well, and mine has run well for more than a year now.

I just need to get the 1994 running well (almost there) - or sold, which could also happen.