Sign in to follow this  

top end xr100 problems

so I just bought an old bike and pieced it back together (the guy before was using a soda can and dryer cloths as an air filter (-___-) ) . I started the bike up and idled it, then took it for a short lap around the block and its smoking like crazy. Im thinking either the oil ring is super old (its a '98) and worn or the valves are dinged up (I really hope thats not what the knocking sound is coming from the pipe.

But the real question is, if I get the bbr 120 big bore kit, will it solve all my problems AND make the bike a little faster? also, what other things should I get? FMF pipe, helmet, and new air filter are already got ;-)

Thanks in advance!

so I just bought an old bike and pieced it back together (the guy before was using a soda can and dryer cloths as an air filter (-___-) ) . I started the bike up and idled it, then took it for a short lap around the block and its smoking like crazy. Im thinking either the oil ring is super old (its a '98) and worn or the valves are dinged up (I really hope thats not what the knocking sound is coming from the pipe.

But the real question is, if I get the bbr 120 big bore kit, will it solve all my problems AND make the bike a little faster? also, what other things should I get? FMF pipe, helmet, and new air filter are already got ;-)

Thanks in advance!

Jeez, some people just abuse their toys.

Sounds like the rings is causing your problems. Got a compression tester? Test it cold, then drop a few drops of oil through the spark plug hole, and if your compression rises by a lot, its the rings. As for the pipe knock, check all the mounting bolts. The silenced core could potentiality be damaged, also. Causing a rattle.

As for the BBR kit-yes, it will solve your problems. It IS a new piston and rings. And new valves, as well. So youre knocking it all out in one shot. I'm not sure how much speed it will add though.

If you do go with the BBR, search around the fourm for the larger carb mods.

that is pretty much the best answer Ive ever read on a forum, Thanks lethalweapon100,

but isnt the purpose of the larger bore for more power? I prefer power to speed, and I was debating between getting new rings and a smaller front sprocket (80$) or just the big bore kit (170-270$). What Ive read is that the big bore pairs well with 26mm carbs(200$) and an aftermarket pipe(150$). 80 vs 600 is quite a difference lol, Ill check the mounting tomorrow, Thanks again

that is pretty much the best answer Ive ever read on a forum, Thanks lethalweapon100,

but isnt the purpose of the larger bore for more power? I prefer power to speed, and I was debating between getting new rings and a smaller front sprocket (80$) or just the big bore kit (170-270$). What Ive read is that the big bore pairs well with 26mm carbs(200$) and an aftermarket pipe(150$). 80 vs 600 is quite a difference lol, Ill check the mounting tomorrow, Thanks again

Well I'm pretty sure the old Honda ATC 200s ran 26MM carbs, people swap theirs for those if they have a big bore kit. Ive never done it. You'd have to do some research. You also don't have to get an aftermarket pipe.

I remember on my 100 I dropped the back sprocket from 50 to 48 teeth to give me like an extra 3-5MPH...that was kinda neat. Bit of power loss. Not much. On my current whip (KX250) I dropped the front sprocket one tooth and it worked wonders for me. Thats a totally different machine though.

Glad I could help.