Sign in to follow this  

Sensitive Chassis

Easy people!

I have been playing with some more with chassis settings for sand.  Wow these bikes are sensitive to fork height and sag i.e. bike was a bit of a nervous mess on some straits & knifing through most corners to some degree.  Moved the forks down 2mm i think it was, much better.  Another 1mm and it was epic!  This now puts the top of the stanchions 3mm through the top of the clamps (cap is half covered).

Previous bikes were never this sensitive, that's for sure.  So if your having troubles check your sag & fork heights people.  Its been a eye opener for me at least

Easy people!

I have been playing with some more with chassis settings for sand.  Wow these bikes are sensitive to fork height and sag i.e. bike was a bit of a nervous mess on some straits & knifing through most corners to some degree.  Moved the forks down 2mm i think it was, much better.  Another 1mm and it was epic!  This now puts the top of the stanchions 3mm through the top of the clamps (cap is half covered).

Previous bikes were never this sensitive, that's for sure.  So if your having troubles check your sag & fork heights people.  Its been a eye opener for me at least

never tried going lower than flush with the top stanchion. i would have thought that dropping the forks down would make the bike knife even more. im having more of an issue with oversteer in sand, but usually setting the sag down to about 110mm makes things nice and balanced. will take your tip into consideration next time im oput ridding and not feeling good about the balance

Hmmm maybe i should have said sliding the forks down through the clamps so the front sits higher = less weight on the front.  Not up through the clamps so that it sits lower = more weight on front.

While in Belgium i saw a team sliding them way through, you couldn't even see the caps!

I Dont see any issue going up or down in the clamps...just another way to tune. One some bikes I have put the forks so high up they were almost touching the bars. Others I have ran flush with top clamps...just a way to get the feel your looking for.

Tighten the steering stem nut. I was told by the suspension shop that my bike is at now that it will make a night and day difference. Haven't tried it yet. Will report back on what I experience. I have had similar problems with head shake.

Yep head nut is nice and snug, not "notchy" but snug.  Its probably not a bad idea to do that to any bike in all honestly.  What i was striving for was a set up for deep soft sand and was really surprised how minor fork changes affected the little rmz's.

Sand like this:

P1000861.JPG

P1000880.JPG