New to me 06 300xcw - questions...

***  Also posted to KTMTalk.  Looking for comments.  ***

I am finally out from under the dreaded costs of rebuilding 4 stroke engines. I'm back to a smoker. Loved the thumper (when it ran), but that wasn't as often as I'd like.

Picked up his beauty yesterday. Its an 06 300xcw with lots of goodies. I have a couple of questions...

1. I changed out the red spring and put in the yellow spring. I turned in the adjuster to be just a little below the case. Feels real linear, rapid excelleration, but no hit and seems to have great traction. Out of curiosity, what would the green spring feel like?

2. what sprocket sizes is everyone using for offroad (mainly desert). It has 14/50 and feels a bit jumpy in first and second gear. I'm thinking 14/48 would give me the smoothness I'm looking for. Any suggestions?

3. I feel some vibration coming through the bars and the footpegs. Not too bad, just noticeable compared to my old 450. What can I do about this?

4. What is the correct sag for this bike. I took off the tall trials tire and put on a normal knobbie. I think that will remove the stink bug feeling it has.

5. If I wanted to put my halogen light on this... do I need a battery? I think it has the 2k3 stator, which has lots of wattage already. Will I need a voltage regulator for DC? Were can I tap in to get clean voltage?

Anyway, looking forward to lots of fun with this one. I think I saved a fortune buying this one instead of a brand new one. If this works out, I would certainly be open to buying a new one. 

What else to look out for?

Maurice 

• Like 1

Green slows the powervalve down the most. Red is loosest. 2.5 turns in is usually the starting point. 

Not sure about sprockets-running 14/49 on mine, works for me.

On vibration, Check engine mount bolts-clean and retorque. Also correct fit of handguard brackets and handlebar mounts/torques. Last, spend $20-25 and get really good grips.  

Search forum on sag and electrical stuff.

Keep an eye on the inner clutch gasket, especially near the water pump. 

Other than that, the bike's a tank. Enjoy. 

Congrats on the new toy.. i picked up a 07 250 xcw in the spring and my WR just collects dust now.. sooo much lighter and nimble.

Quite a few people have been switching to the fast-flex bars to stop the vibes, they are a bit pricey but i've read alot of good reviews on them.

enjoy :ride:

***  Also posted to KTMTalk.  Looking for comments.  ***

I am finally out from under the dreaded costs of rebuilding 4 stroke engines. I'm back to a smoker. Loved the thumper (when it ran), but that wasn't as often as I'd like.

Picked up his beauty yesterday. Its an 06 300xcw with lots of goodies. I have a couple of questions...

1. I changed out the red spring and put in the yellow spring. I turned in the adjuster to be just a little below the case. Feels real linear, rapid excelleration, but no hit and seems to have great traction. Out of curiosity, what would the green spring feel like?

2. what sprocket sizes is everyone using for offroad (mainly desert). It has 14/50 and feels a bit jumpy in first and second gear. I'm thinking 14/48 would give me the smoothness I'm looking for. Any suggestions?

3. I feel some vibration coming through the bars and the footpegs. Not too bad, just noticeable compared to my old 450. What can I do about this?

4. What is the correct sag for this bike. I took off the tall trials tire and put on a normal knobbie. I think that will remove the stink bug feeling it has.

5. If I wanted to put my halogen light on this... do I need a battery? I think it has the 2k3 stator, which has lots of wattage already. Will I need a voltage regulator for DC? Were can I tap in to get clean voltage?

Anyway, looking forward to lots of fun with this one. I think I saved a fortune buying this one instead of a brand new one. If this works out, I would certainly be open to buying a new one. 

Maurice 

Maurice,

First of all, congrats and welcome back to a world free of cams and valves....in other words, a world that makes sense  ? .  As you know, I am big fan of the 300 and have not 1, but 2 of them now!!  And over the 3 years that I've had a 300, I've tried almost every power tuning combo out there.

To answer your questions:

1.  Don't even mess with the green spring.  The only people that I've heard of even using it is East Coast guys that ride in snot and want ZERO powerband.  However, if you use the green spring and put the dolly in about 1/3-1/2...you will get a nasty hit. Personally I use the red spring in both my 300's with the dolly about 2 turns in from flush.  If you are not that agressive, the yellow spring is perfect.  Back the dolly out flush- 1 turn in for best results.  Also you can do a lot with jetting.  PM me for info

2.  My race bike is an XC and my DS is an XCW.  I run 13/50 on both.  The XCW tranny is barely more gappy (sorry for the shitty grammar) on 1-3rd gears.  Once again, not that big of a deal at all (moreso for a 250).  Top speed is about 86mph for both bikes, but then again, my trannys are the 6 speed.  I'm guessing top speed will be about 78mph for you.  With this gearing, I'm only in 1st in the gnarliest sections that JV has to offer.  Other than that I can do most any technical section in second or third.

3.  Its just how they are...especially compared to a 450.  I never really even notice the vibes anymore unless I'm way up in the RPM range, or I decide to dust off my 450 and take it for a spin.  Make sure all your motor mounts are secure (I check mine each ride).  I run Flexx bars and they have made a difference.  I hear bar inserts and/or rubber mounted bar mounts help too, but I doubt I'll ever try them.  As far as the footpeg vibration....good luck

4.  I run between 115-120mm

5.  Call 3 bros.  I just put a Baja Designs Squadron headlight on my XCW and they had to do a stator mod to get enough juice to power it.  But honestly i don't know a whole lot about this kind of stuff so I had no problem paying for someone who did. 

Additional info:  As you probably have already figured out, the sweet spot for this motor is right below the pipe.  Keep it in this range (for offroad) and you will have the best offroad weapon out there.  Don't ride this like you would a YZ 250...you'll kill yourself.  If you send the suspension out, my vote is for TBT.  I think he does the best work for KTM's out there.  But CLEAN in Costa Mesa is good too.  I get 100 hard hours on a top end and haven't had any problems.  In fact, my race bike has 300 hours on it and its just now getting a bottom end and a cylinder re-coat. The bike is fine with a 50:1 ratio...I've experimented and found this to be the best.  FMF fatty is probably the best pipe for making the most linear power.  As far as SA's...I've used the OEM silencer with an EE end cap, FMF TBII, FMF Q, and Pro Circuit 296(?).  The TBII gives you the most hit and quickest throttle response, the FMF Q is the quietest and very linear, stock is pretty much on par with the Q, except it has a little more hit...and the Pro Circuit s probaby the most linear of all.  The gnarly adds a lot of grunt down low but robs it up top.  The motor responds very well to a Slavens head mod...crisper throttle response, cleaner jetting, better gas mileage, more power through the entire range...still runs on pump gas.  My XCW has slavens cylinder decking in addition to the head mod...it makes the above advantages even more noticeable.  Be sure to buy a map switch if you do any of those mods because it has a tendancy to light the rear wheel up real fast in the tech stuff if you don't.  Other than that, ride a gear high, respect the power.....and do your best to wipe off your ear to ear grin  :D

1234241_10201198175494618_802732248_n.jp

1374353_10201198175934629_1779476309_n.j

Here's pictures of my newly completed XCW project :D

Edited by andrew34

I'm back to a smoker. Loved the thumper (when it ran), but that wasn't as often as I'd like.

If you want more hit, put in the red power valve spring and loosen the adjuster all the way out.  This allows the power valve to open faster, providing a more rapid punch.

For enduro riding, I run 13:50 on my 300 smoker.  But I have 6 gears, does the 2006 model have 5 or 6?  My bike will run over 85 MPH on pavement, and I never go that fast offroad with enduro terrain.  For the desert, I would likely gear my bike up to 14:50 or higher because I'm good at riding high speed stuff, but that's where the real danger lies in the desert.  

Vibration: check out some alternate rubber mounts for the handlebars.  My buddy complained about vibration on my 2011 model, but that was in part due to the carbon fiber pipe guard's hose clamp being a little loose.  Check all nuts/bolts, and go from there.

Normal knobbie is the way to go unless you are riding ALL ROCKS, then a trials tire can be beneficial.  Sag--talk to Dewayne Jones or some other suspension guy, he'll steer you in the right direction.  Probably between 100-110 mm of sag.

Me and electricity don't get along (hence the curly hair).  Ask a trusted dealer what he suggests.

The 300 is a great all around bike, be it for enduro, desert, motocross, etc.  The suspension is key though!  If I didn't ride almost all enduro, then I would have gotten the stock suspension revalved/resprung because it's very soft and plush.  But because of that, it sucks for whoops (desert, anybody??) and larger hits.  My next bike will have linkage rear shock, and I'll get the suspension redone for me.

Maurice 

Edited by LovingOffroadPain

Congrats on the new toy.. i picked up a 07 250 xcw in the spring and my WR just collects dust now.. sooo much lighter and nimble.

Quite a few people have been switching to the fast-flex bars to stop the vibes, they are a bit pricey but i've read alot of good reviews on them.

enjoy :ride:

I just so happened to have saved my flexx bars from the previous bike.   I'm looking for regular bars these days because I need to be able to mount all of my enduro crap more easily.   I do love the flexx bars though.   I'm going try the rubber mounted stuff and some bigger/softer grips.    Its really not that bad, I'm just not used to the vibes.

Maurice,

First of all, congrats and welcome back to a world free of cams and valves....in other words, a world that makes sense  ? .  As you know, I am big fan of the 300 and have not 1, but 2 of them now!!  And over the 3 years that I've had a 300, I've tried almost every power tuning combo out there.

To answer your questions:

1.  Don't even mess with the green spring.  The only people that I've heard of even using it is East Coast guys that ride in snot and want ZERO powerband.  However, if you use the green spring and put the dolly in about 1/3-1/2...you will get a nasty hit. Personally I use the red spring in both my 300's with the dolly about 2 turns in from flush.  If you are not that agressive, the yellow spring is perfect.  Back the dolly out flush- 1 turn in for best results.  Also you can do a lot with jetting.  PM me for info

2.  My race bike is an XC and my DS is an XCW.  I run 13/50 on both.  The XCW tranny is barely more gappy (sorry for the shitty grammar) on 1-3rd gears.  Once again, not that big of a deal at all (moreso for a 250).  Top speed is about 86mph for both bikes, but then again, my trannys are the 6 speed.  I'm guessing top speed will be about 78mph for you.  With this gearing, I'm only in 1st in the gnarliest sections that JV has to offer.  Other than that I can do most any technical section in second or third.

3.  Its just how they are...especially compared to a 450.  I never really even notice the vibes anymore unless I'm way up in the RPM range, or I decide to dust off my 450 and take it for a spin.  Make sure all your motor mounts are secure (I check mine each ride).  I run Flexx bars and they have made a difference.  I hear bar inserts and/or rubber mounted bar mounts help too, but I doubt I'll ever try them.  As far as the footpeg vibration....good luck

4.  I run between 115-120mm

5.  Call 3 bros.  I just put a Baja Designs Squadron headlight on my XCW and they had to do a stator mod to get enough juice to power it.  But honestly i don't know a whole lot about this kind of stuff so I had no problem paying for someone who did. 

Additional info:  As you probably have already figured out, the sweet spot for this motor is right below the pipe.  Keep it in this range (for offroad) and you will have the best offroad weapon out there.  Don't ride this like you would a YZ 250...you'll kill yourself.  If you send the suspension out, my vote is for TBT.  I think he does the best work for KTM's out there.  But CLEAN in Costa Mesa is good too.  I get 100 hard hours on a top end and haven't had any problems.  In fact, my race bike has 300 hours on it and its just now getting a bottom end and a cylinder re-coat. The bike is fine with a 50:1 ratio...I've experimented and found this to be the best.  FMF fatty is probably the best pipe for making the most linear power.  As far as SA's...I've used the OEM silencer with an EE end cap, FMF TBII, FMF Q, and Pro Circuit 296(?).  The TBII gives you the most hit and quickest throttle response, the FMF Q is the quietest and very linear, stock is pretty much on par with the Q, except it has a little more hit...and the Pro Circuit s probaby the most linear of all.  The gnarly adds a lot of grunt down low but robs it up top.  The motor responds very well to a Slavens head mod...crisper throttle response, cleaner jetting, better gas mileage, more power through the entire range...still runs on pump gas.  My XCW has slavens cylinder decking in addition to the head mod...it makes the above advantages even more noticeable.  Be sure to buy a map switch if you do any of those mods because it has a tendancy to light the rear wheel up real fast in the tech stuff if you don't.  Other than that, ride a gear high, respect the power.....and do your best to wipe off your ear to ear grin  :D

Here's pictures of my newly completed XCW project :D

Thanks Andrew.   The last time I was on a 2 stroke was a couple of years ago when I tried to make that yz250 work.  It was a great bike no doubt, but I spent a lot of time, energy and money trying to get the powerband to be more linear with more bottom end.  I did all the tricks and bought all the stuff to do that and still wasn't perfect for me.    On this bike, I changed the red spring to the yellow, went in about 1 1/2 turns on the adjuster and its exactly what I was trying for 3 years to get my yz to do.    Too damn easy!

Gear high, just below the pipe... got it.   Bike runs perfect.  I got it from a guy off the D37 board, so its already desert ready with jetting, armor, stabilizer and a Slavens suspension.  It feels plush but just a little over sprung in the front.  I think it has a .49 spring.   It has a Langston 02 progressive spring in the rear which is good.    I'll probably drop the oil level a little in the front a little and go a click or two stiffer in  the rear and see how I like it.  Its not that far off and I'm just trail riding these days.  At no point ever will I be going 78 mph.  Its just not gonna happen.   Somewhere around 55-60, my right hand stops twisting.    I like the more technical stuff that I do in 3rd gear.

I do have a 5 speed, and the gaps aren't that bad if I remember to let it rev a little.   I am tempted to try 13/50.   that sure would be easy to do and would smooth the jumpiness in second gear.

Only 1 ride so far, but I'm happy with it.  I basically got this for the price of parting out my busted ass 450.  No money out of pocket  (still some left) and it only needs a sprocket change.  Its not often you can swap out a bike with a blown engine for a bike with a new top end, seals, and goodies for $0 net cost.   

There is certainly another 4 stroke in my future because I love dual sporting.   But, I may just keep this one around.   I may even get it plated.   I know how.  Why not!

IMAG0389B.jpg

Edited by mauricedorris
  • Like 1

Nice bike, congrats!  I bought an 06' 300 XC-W last year that had 20 hours on it.

Fastest I've seen on the odo is 80mph on a gravel road, but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

I second the Slavens mods mentioned earlier.  Really woke up the bike.

Well.... second ride yesterday on the new to me 06 300xcw.    All I can say is WOW!  

I've only been riding dirtbikes for about 7 years and I've had a wr450, 2 different yz250's and the trouble making 450xcf.   I loved all of those bikes, but feel like I just took about 10 steps forward...  and I'm on an 06!

The suspension is setup nicely and the powerband is quick revvin, but linear.  Very easy to control, chugs like a tractor, has a ton of traction, and spins up instantly with a quick stab of the clutch.   

This is only my second ride and I no longer feel any vibrations.   I am used to it already.  

No e-start, or a rekluse, but I didn't stall it a lot.  I did get over aggressive with the rear brake at times and it shut off on me.  But once I set the sag and my front end stops pushing, I'll probably start railing those turns instead of squaring up all the time.    I need a little more confidence in the front end, but then again, its only my second ride on a 300.

I've never felt so refreshed after a 50 mile ride.   Damn that 450 was heavy and I didn't even realize it.

Some people say get a rekluse, but I don't think this bike needs it for the way I ride and how I have it set.     I love the feedback from the rear wheel and the clutch pull is light.

I AM HOOKED!    

• Like 1

Well.... second ride yesterday on the new to me 06 300xcw.    All I can say is WOW!  

I've only been riding dirtbikes for about 7 years and I've had a wr450, 2 different yz250's and the trouble making 450xcf.   I loved all of those bikes, but feel like I just took about 10 steps forward...  and I'm on an 06!

The suspension is setup nicely and the powerband is quick revvin, but linear.  Very easy to control, chugs like a tractor, has a ton of traction, and spins up instantly with a quick stab of the clutch.   

This is only my second ride and I no longer feel any vibrations.   I am used to it already.  

No e-start, or a rekluse, but I didn't stall it a lot.  I did get over aggressive with the rear brake at times and it shut off on me.  But once I set the sag and my front end stops pushing, I'll probably start railing those turns instead of squaring up all the time.    I need a little more confidence in the front end, but then again, its only my second ride on a 300.

I've never felt so refreshed after a 50 mile ride.   Damn that 450 was heavy and I didn't even realize it.

Some people say get a rekluse, but I don't think this bike needs it for the way I ride and how I have it set.     I love the feedback from the rear wheel and the clutch pull is light.

I AM HOOKED!    

You sure that's '06? looks like '07 to me, unless they swapped for black rims (stock was unpainted) and graphics to '07 style.

anyway . . . nice!