Sign in to follow this  

Black rims... Cheap!

Anyone ever thought about using electrical tape to get the black rims look...I was bored sitting in my garage when I came up with the idea..wasn't very hard to do and if you take your time it turns out pretty nice..

I haven't rode yet due to he weather here..so time will tell,if it holds up..if not it was only a cheap roll of black electrical tape!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Jezer2289
  • Like 2

Seems like a good idea but they probably wont hold up too long just because the adhesive is relatively weak. Maybe try to heat it up with a heat gun to get it to stick better. But no matter the turnout it only cost you about a dollar!

Mate. Ya  should of kept that to yourself and brought out some "Rim Tape" People have gotten stinking rich from sillier Ideas whilst bored out of their minds   :lol: .

Luv ya work :thumbsup: .

• Like 2

good idea    and looks good

but I think the electrical  tape will fail do to shrinking and adhesive failure

as far as rim tape  I tried some and one day later went riding   dam if I didn't ding it up riding sand and  desert trail

lots of guys using plastidip paint to do vehicle rims  and apparently it can be touched up or peeled off   not sure how it would hold up for us ?

Edited by Zimman

Anyone ever thought about using electrical tape to get the black rims look...I was bored sitting in my garage when I came up with the idea..wasn't very hard to do and if you take your time it turns out pretty nice..

I haven't rode yet due to he weather here..so time will tell,if it holds up..if not it was only a cheap roll of black electrical tape!!

nice! Can't even tell! What kind of graphics are those?

Also what's the story with your backwards Showa sticker? LOL

Wouldn't plasti-dip be easier and more effective? It's a good idea, but so as it gets wet it will come off. I had some tape on my 22" rims on my charger when I was painting the lip. Soon as it got wet, it came off. And that sees a lot less abuse.

Freestyle..the grapfics were on the bike when I bought it..they are made by face lift unlimited..there are a few on eBay...as far as the Showa..I know it's upside down..but again thats the way it was when I bought it...so..it's there until I decide on,a new graphics kit

If you want to stick to this idea, and it is a good idea, when you apply the electrical tape stretch it out almost as much as it will go and apply it stretched. It will take some practice to get It to go on flat but it makes the tape 3x more durable, and actually shinier. Then use a heat gun. You wanna put the heat gun on a low setting and take extra long with electrical tape.

I,did,stretch it but not to its limits..and I'm gonna try the heat gun to see if its make a better adhesion ..I,appreciate all the ideas..

Sorry guys, but I am just pissing myself laughing at this one! Isn't there other more constructive things to do on the bike. I really can't see it lasting!

• Like 3

It's not intended to last...we all know that already..it's was just a cheap effective idea to share with others..if you don't like it don't do it..so what constructive idea would you have for us?????

Sorry for offending you Jezer! I would buy black rims though I think.

yeahh any of us would rather buy the rims but not everyone can shed out 600-800$ at thispoint and he was just bored too so let him have his fun

yeahh any of us would rather buy the rims but not everyone can shed out 600-800$ at thispoint and he was just bored too so let him have his fun

Yep okay, good point. Sorry about that. I was wrong.

Freestyle..the grapfics were on the bike when I bought it..they are made by face lift unlimited..there are a few on eBay...as far as the Showa..I know it's upside down..but again thats the way it was when I bought it...so..it's there until I decide on,a new graphics kit

ok! I wonder if there's any for a cr250, be right back! Lol.

Anyways I was just pulling your leg bout the fork sticker! It's no big deal , I wouldn't worry bout it.

innovation comes in the strangest ways,

Anyone have a closeup on the electrical tape rims or sharpie rims?