Sign in to follow this  

250SX or 250XC for GNCC

We are torn between the SX or the XC.  We will be using an aftermarket tank so that is not the issue.  We are wondering how toned down the XC is compared to the SX.  How does the 6 speed work compared to the SX 5 speed.  From what we have seen most of the guys are using the SX.  Looking for info before we purchase.

well here is my take on it.. ive been racing a kx500 in the NCHSA in NC and this stuff is soo tight and that just wasnt a good bike for it.. so i just bought a 2014 ktm 250xc, i was die hard for a 300xc but nobody had one.. any ways the 250xc was prob the best choice i could have made.. this bike turns.stops,handles,doesnt vibrate, and flat out flys.. i have tested it with the RED power valve spring in it and the bike was stupid fast and would try to sling me off (remember i was on a kx500)..

so for my vote id go with a new 250xc because you already get the tank, and it comes with a 18'' rear wheel, and you will love the electric start....

ive been running the yellow spring in mine and just won my race last sunday and that was the second time riding it.. my lap times was just as fast as the 3rd place 250-A guy...

SX has the snap that makes it haul vs the smoother XC.  Dry break tank requirment makes the XC tank a negative along with the e-start.  I'll take weight reduction and a kicker any day.  Wheel size is a wash as most racers have spare wheel sets on hand or will get them for their new bike.  A 2011 250 SX with PDS would be a sweet XC bike.  I went with a 12 liinkage bike due to availablity. 

I like the 5 speed over the 6-> less shifting = more time on the pipe.  The 6th gear is a nice transit gear but I only want it in hare and hound type races above 65 mph.  What speeds do you need for GNCC?  The XC 1st is too low for me- if you use it you have no momentum.  I have not done any GNCC but i'd ask your local GNCC guys and see what they they use for tranny and gearing.

We are torn between the SX or the XC.  We will be using an aftermarket tank so that is not the issue.  We are wondering how toned down the XC is compared to the SX.  How does the 6 speed work compared to the SX 5 speed.  From what we have seen most of the guys are using the SX.  Looking for info before we purchase.

xc is a better woods bike imo, but everybody has their opinion. I will be on my 300exc this year, what class will you be in?

The only real drawback to the SX as a cross country bike is that the suspension is valved a little harsh for slow going over rocks and roots. Most people revalve their suspension anyway so it really doesn't make much difference. The SX is a bit less expensive when you buy it!

i have a 2012 250 xc that i race and if i did it all over i would go with the sx. My xc i have been running the past 50 hrs without estart (80hrs total on bike). For the extra money its not worth it. i would rather have the money to put into suspension which i have done anyway. I like bikes that are more hard hitting. I have mine with the red spring and a fmf system on it. The estart is nice but it never did work good. 

I have never done a GNCC so take this all with a grain of salt. Not even sure I would want to enter one, way too much quad trail for me.

Here are my assumptions. In a race the object is to get to the finish line before your competitors. For most of us this has to be done on a budget of some kind.

Almost 100% of the time "hit" of any kind is counterproductive over a long race unless you are super super fit. Anything over 2+ hours and the XC power delivery will have it all over the SX. The object is not to rage your way through the corners, its to keep as much momentum and speed for as long as you can. Spinning tires and launching out of corners only works in gravel pits and MX tracks.

You will not shift more with the XC than the SX. 1st gear is very comparable (don't get an XC-W). The XC has broader power so you can use a single gear for more situations.

Suspension. GNCC type courses are what the XC is designed for. The suspension is tunable for a wide variety of terrain. Over a long race what gets you is the continuous small stuff. the XC is much better in this than the SX. Go around a rooted corner and the XC will smoothly put power to the ground and get you on your way, the SX will chatter around launch you this way and that and take a ton of energy you could use elsewhere.

Starter?? Leave it on. In a 2+ hr race if you are pushing yourself, you WILL stall. Be it a wrong line panic break, knicking a tree, going around a bottle neck. there is NOTHING like a quick stab of the thumb and you are under way again. Don't have to even take your hand off the bars. A light battery mitigates most of the weight issues. (the battery box IS high!!!)The new starters are more robust than previous versions, and with a little care my 11 starter lasted 120hrs + of racing over very technical terrain (a lot of panic stalls :) ).

You need to sit down and asses your abilities, the terrain you will race on and decide what will get you to the end faster. My vote is for broad smooth power, suspension that can soak up the majority of the race, and the little extras that will make your life easier when you screw up.

• Like 2