Honda XR80 Air box flooding

Hi guys,

I bought my son a 2001 XR80 a few days ago as a gift when I got back from Afghanistan.  Needless to say he was excited to ride it and I was excited to spend some time with him out at the local riding spot.

Well, we got out there and when I went to start it, it started hemorrhaging fuel from the air box.  It started and ran great twice at home and gave no indication of anything being wrong. Of course the day we are finally going to ride it it has a catastrophic failure.

Today I took the carb off, cleaned it and everything looked good. when i went to start it again, the air box just flooded with fuel again. i mean it poured out.  I'm assuming it's the main jet, but thought I'd ask the experts on here to see if you had any insight you might be able to give me on it.

The float looks good, nothing is sticking open and like I mentioned earlier, it started and ran the day I bought it, and once more when I got it home without issue, then BAM!

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Edited by pfortck

the only way that could be happening is if the needle valve isint closing. check your float level adjustment, make sure the float hasent cracked and filled with fuel, make sure the rubber tip is stil on the needle valve and the seat is perfectly clean

I'm sure the float is okay, as when I removed it it didn't have any fuel in it.  Thanks for the advice, I will check those things.

Thanks again!

Preferences

Preferences

Preferences
§
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e