Sign in to follow this  

Trail bike honda 230 or 250?

Hey I'm new to riding, I work on a farm, my boss has a 100 acre pasture that we built a dirt bike track on where his kids ride. I've started riding around the pasture with his sons KXL 140 and I just ride it to learn. I want a bike of my own, and I want a taller bike that isn't to fast for me cause I'm a beginner, so I wanna mess around on it but also go around the track sometimes. I'm 17, 5' 10" and about 155lbs. What bike should I get?

Have you narrowed it down to a Honda 230 or what type of 250? What are you looking to spend? I'd say a 125 2 stroke or a motocross 250f would be great for fields and track. The 230's are good tight steep trail bikes, and I love my xr250 for the trails. I find my self wanting something else for the open stuff, fields, open trails. 230s and an xr 250 wouldn't be ideal for track use I wouldn't think.

Well the pasture is all hilly and rough, I want a honda cause part are plentiful around here, I feel like a 125 would be to small tho, I'm looking to spend like $1,500. Would the 250 be to powerful for me or would I jut have to get used to it!

Well the pasture is all hilly and rough, I want a honda cause part are plentiful around here, I feel like a 125 would be to small tho, I'm looking to spend like $1,500. Would the 250 be to powerful for me or would I jut have to get used to it!

he meant a 125 2 stroke. Get one. It will b perfect

Don't get a 250f if your budget is $1,500... Too much to go wrong and expensive to fix. I am the identical size as you, (5'10" 150lbs) and a 125 2 stroke will be perfect, and they are cheap to work on. I currently ride a yz125 and couldn't be happier. Go with a cr125 or a yz125, I promise you won't be disappointed.

Don't get a 250f if your budget is $1,500... Too much to go wrong and expensive to fix. I am the identical size as you, (5'10" 150lbs) and a 125 2 stroke will be perfect, and they are cheap to work on. I currently ride a yz125 and couldn't be happier. Go with a cr125 or a yz125, I promise you won't be disappointed.

how tall is the seat on you?

Dang I always thought the smaller the engine the smaller the bike, I like it, thanks for the feed back guys!

Dang I always thought the smaller the engine the smaller the bike, I like it, thanks for the feed back guys!

Nothing small about a 125...ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1380509487.195461.jpg

what do you mean?

For example, a 4 stroke 125 will be similar to the klx140 that you ride, similar power, weight, size, etc.

A 2 stroke 125 is a mx race machine, fast enough to get a newbie's attention real quick if they're not paying attention. They are the lightest full size mx bikes available, which is a good thing for someone around our weight (150ish) because not only will handling be easier, the suspension is typically already set up for 150-170lb riders. I have been riding since I was 6 years old and the 125 is still my bike of choice.

So it's a ton of fun and fast, but it won't be put me on my ass all the time because it doesn't have loads of power like a 250, correct?

So it's a ton of fun and fast, but it won't be put me on my ass all the time because it doesn't have loads of power like a 250, correct?

It's basically the same as a 250 four stroke mx bike.

i will try to make things easy for you, the 125 2 stroke and the 250 4 stroke race against each other because they put out the same hp, its just the way they produce it, if anything the 125 will put you on your ass over the 250f because of the way the 125 makes its power, i hoped that helped

A 250f is a great bike, I owned one, nothing slow about them. But take this into consideration. They are EXTREMELY expensive if something breaks, or even maintenance if you don't know what you're doing. Anybody can change a top end on a 2 stroke. I can in under an hour. But I can't do a four stroke. And a shop around here would charge around $700 for a job like that on a 4 stroke. I can do my 2 stroke for $140 in parts and that's it.

• Like 1