Sign in to follow this  

Arm pump?

The way most people train their forearms will cause more armpump. Over the years I have developed a forearm exercise combo that gives the forearms more strength and endurance which eliminates armpump. It's done with dumbbells both standing or sitting and laying down with arms straight up like you just completed a dumbbell bench press. There are 3 exercise standing or sitting and 2 exercises laying. They are all done with arms straight.  Start out with 15 reps on each of the 5 exercises. Always have your hands positioned like you were holding a barbell. 

With weight hanging at your sides a little in front. 

1. Curl wrist back and forward.

2. Move wrist side to side, lowering and raising each end of the dumbbells. 

3. Open and close hands as far as possible without dropping dumbbells. 

Then with weights above you while laying down:

4. Curl wrist back and forward.

5. Move wrist side to side, lowering and raising each end of the dumbbells. 

Start out with 2 sets fairly light. Do 3 times a week. After 2 weeks do 3 sets and increase weight gradually. 

If you want to learn exactly how to do this and many other moto exercises and training routines get my new MX Conditioning 2 DVD. See a free preview and order or Stream online: http://www.gsmxs.com/featured/motocross-conditioning-2-dvd-39-95

MX Conditioning V2 COVER resized.jpg

How to get rid of arm pump ? Help

Use the TT search engine and type in "arm pump" you'll get numerous threads about it.

Contrary to what Gary states above, it's actually more related to your body's general health and fluid levels, rather then simply muscle building. But if you search, you will find lots of great data on it.

Use the TT search engine and type in "arm pump" you'll get numerous threads about it.

Contrary to what Gary states above, it's actually more related to your body's general health and fluid levels, rather then simply muscle building. But if you search, you will find lots of great data on it.

contrary to what tye says you should listen to Gary.

• Like 2

contrary to what tye says you should listen to Gary.

First off, I've studied this subject for years and have talked with many doctors about it due to having serious arm pump issues when I was roadracing. In fact, most professional roadracers have surgery to help release the pressure build up on the membrane which causes the feeling.

Second, there isn't a "cure" for arm pump as Gary says above. No doctor on the planet would agree with the advice he gives above and to prove the point, here are two articles which go into great detail about the subject, written by fitness AND medical professionals.

http://www.racerxvt.com/article/arm-pump-in-motocross

http://www.racerxvt.com/article/arm-pump-solved-part-1

Finally, most arm pump in motocross can easily be helped through simply being calmer on the machine, riding using your legs and not your arms/hands. Of course as I said earlier, general health and fluids play a huge role. Having a poor cardiovascular system and being dehydrated are two leading causes of arm pump in non-athletes.

Edited by tye1138

I got rid of armpump completely at one point during my racing career. I did this by pretty much riding every day and dieting. If I drank even one soda the day or night before a ride I could literaly feel a negative difference.

• Like 1

I got rid of armpump completely at one point during my racing career. I did this by pretty much riding every day and dieting. If I drank even one soda the day or night before a ride I could literaly feel a negative difference.

Yep, thats what ya gotta do! Its pretty amazing what simply riding the bike, eating and hydrating well will do! :)

With weight hanging at your sides a little in front. 

1. Curl wrist back and forward.

2. Move wrist side to side, lowering and raising each end of the dumbbells. 

3. Open and close hands as far as possible without dropping dumbbells. 

Exactly what I do. Usually it's 3 sets of 30 with a 25lb 'bell a few times a week. Went from having massive A.P issues to almost none at all within a matter of a couple weeks. Keep in mind, I race a 500 that vibrates like it's going out of style. On a "smoother" bike the exercises would help even more IMO. Proper technique and set-up also plays a role in it as well.

I'd for sure listen to Mr. Semics on this one. He's been around for quite a while and has trained a good number of the current Pro racers, where Tye is green as grass in comparison. Don't mean to offend anybody, just stating my view on it.

I'd for sure listen to Mr. Semics on this one. He's been around for quite a while and has trained a good number of the current Pro racers, where Tye is green as grass in comparison. Don't mean to offend anybody, just stating my view on it.

Read the two articles I posted above... written by doctors and professional personal trainers. Take the time, just read them and you may change your mind.

Read the two articles I posted above... written by doctors and professional personal trainers. Take the time, just read them and you may change your mind.

I've read those before in a different arm pump thread, I believe. I've done a number of the things listed in the articles, but none of them helped me, personally. IMO things that work for some people just may not work for others. For me, doing what Mr. Semics posted helped me a LOT more than what was listed in those articles.

I am with Tye. 

Nutrition and hydration are absolutely top of the list for curing arm pump.

Fitness is a very close second, but its not isolated to forarm muscles. Cardio is key.

Bike setup is a very close 3rd. Harsh suspension or unbalanced bike will have you hanging on for dear life.

Seat time is a very close 4th.

WARM UP!!! Ever notice how arm pump seems to go away later on in a ride.  You need to get your blood flowing and loosen up before you push to your limit or you will blow up like a balloon..

It isnt one magic cure, its the whole package.  Eat right, drink lots of water, stay physically fit, be comfortable and loose on the bike and have it set up so your not fighting it and your arm pump will magically go away.

Edited by newgensti

I've read those before in a different arm pump thread, I believe. I've done a number of the things listed in the articles, but none of them helped me, personally. IMO things that work for some people just may not work for others. For me, doing what Mr. Semics posted helped me a LOT more than what was listed in those articles.

Yep, absolutely, everyone has a different build.

But can I ask a question about your training practices? Are you doing any motocross specific training?

Yep, absolutely, everyone has a different build.

But can I ask a question about your training practices? Are you doing any motocross specific training?

Aside from what I listed before, nope. I just go to track practices (money permitting) and races. Next season I plan on making some circle ruts and rhythm sections so I can improve on those.

This is my first season racing, so I'm still sorting things out. In comparison to my first time at the track (have only gone 4 times, due to breaking my leg) I've improved a good bit. Though I still have a good ways to go.

This is my first season racing, so I'm still sorting things out. In comparison to my first time at the track (have only gone 4 times, due to breaking my leg) I've improved a good bit. Though I still have a good ways to go.

Ahh, got it... now the picture makes sense.

Yea, I mean I spend at least 20hrs on track every month of the year. I also have a serious training program (part of which Gary wrote and I love) which eats up most of my available down-time outside of work. So its a lot of cardio, good hydration and diet which has allowed me to relieve myself of arm pump. Riding is the key because it exercises the right muscle groups, which is more then half the battle.

I think once you ride more on the track, you'll get arm pump again pretty quick as the intensity rises. At that point, those two documents I posed above are sage advice for those in need of an actual solution. :)

Yea, I mean I spend at least 20hrs on track every month of the year. I also have a serious training program (part of which Gary wrote and I love) which eats up most of my available down-time outside of work. So its a lot of cardio, good hydration and diet which has allowed me to relieve myself of arm pump. Riding is the key because it exercises the right muscle groups, which is more then half the battle.

I think once you ride more on the track, you'll get arm pump again pretty quick as the intensity rises. At that point, those two documents I posed above are sage advice for those in need of an actual solution. :)

That first section is my goal for next season. Don't really have enough time left this season (we have this thing called "snow" up here) to get started on it. I'm already at about the upper-mid C level, but there's always room for improvement.  :thumbsup: