Suspension set for down hill wash outs...?

I have been searching for some info on suspension set up for going down hill wish wash outs all the way down so basically like jumps every 100 feet or so..

The terrian is typically rocky and loose soil nothing fun to fall on.

I'm a decent rider but have never been very fast on the down hill with wash out because the rear wheel tends to kick up and I don't really feel like getting kicked over.

I have learned to pull the clutch and let it go and lean back basically mountain bike style using rear and front brakes when needed.

So I have read and read and found mainly everyone talking about just straight down hill with just some regular ruff stuff. But harder to find what people are doing for the down hill jump sections lol...

So what do people run more often for that.... More rebound or less compression.

I have read where they say always play with compression first then rebound which I have done but seems it could be better. Of course it still had to work every where but .... What do you like what works well.

Thanks for any tips and info...:)

2006 ktm 400 exc

200 lbs race tech rear spring rebuilt shock sag set.

Thanks

Quite pulling the clutch in a freewheeling..... Put it in a gear high and when you get to these washout accelerate and pull back slightly.....

Bikes in general are designed to work under power....

What are your sag numbers? You should be around 110mm or more....

What about your fork springs? They should be either 49s or 50s. You could have excessive fork dive causing the rear end to sit high....

Edited by originalmonk

Sag is at 111mm but I may go to the farther point of the ball park at 115...

I have tried the taller gear but ill admit never tried it enough to get used to it and start mastering it. Some times reminders or back to basics are good like keeping your head up and watching where your going which when I get tired and remind myself

Big difference ...

As for forks ill admit there stock as I'm running the ps30 shock spring I haven't done the front yet only had the bike a couple months and am still going thru it but front spring are on the list was thinking .48's maybe .49's as I ride mostly rocky crapy terrian and just wish for the back east pure dirt...:)

So was thinking the slightly lighter front springs.

Ill try a few runs down the same hill in taller gears and try and train with that and see where it goes..

Thanks for the tips

Yes, you need to go up on the fork springs.....Im 215lbs and run .50s on my 500exc and your bike would weigh close to mine....maybe .49s for you!? The rear is over powering the front and causing it to ride low in the stroke, very stink blug like.....

Got ya ill be working on that in about a month or so ...

In another post I read you said about ktms

You seem they perform better with more the. Average sag and forks low in the clamps...

Do you mean more fork stick up out of the clamp or more closer to flush...?

I'm at about 7.5 mm and like much better the way it turns now.

Before it pushed as but my rear shock at the time was also not working so could have been partial problem...

Got ya ill be working on that in about a month or so ...

In another post I read you said about ktms

You seem they perform better with more the. Average sag and forks low in the clamps...

Do you mean more fork stick up out of the clamp or more closer to flush...?

I'm at about 7.5 mm and like much better the way it turns now.

Before it pushed as but my rear shock at the time was also not working so could have been partial problem...

I mean the forks need to be slide down in the triple clamps (more closer to flush)....My sag numbers are and can be all over the board as I have ridden a whole bunch of different KTMs in the last 2yrs....('12 500exc, '08 250sx, '12 250xc, '10 Berg FX450, '08 450sxf, '09 300xcw). Through all those bikes, racing, practicing, play riding, etc etc, they seem to like a lot of sag with the forks slide down. On my PDS bikes I've run as high a 120mm with good results. The reason I ran so high sometimes is I was using a taller rear tire......