Sign in to follow this  

Xr600 for touring?

Ok guys. So I have been building my xr to basically be a dual sport and I plan on riding a ton of miles on the highway and forrest service roads in the years to come. I plan on converting a tci rack for the 650l to fit my bike. The dilemma I'm having is that almost everybody I work with rides a harley or some type of street touring bike and they all say that I'm basically stupid and that my 600 can't handle what I'm going to ask of it. They say it will be to hard on the bike and my body. Now. I have done a 200 mile ride on it and fully enjoyed it. I have a oversized Clark tank, windscreen highway pegs and as I stated earlier I plan on using the denali rack and carrying about 40 pounds of gear on long rides. Am I asking to much of my bike? I truly love my 600 and really don't want anything else right now. Any advise would be welcomed. Thank you

See who's laughing when their more complicated machines fail because of some minor part which

is superfluous, yet integral, and ya simple ole thumper roosts past!

Go for it!!

• Like 1

See who's laughing when their more complicated machines fail because of some minor part which

is superfluous, yet integral, and ya simple ole thumper roosts past!

Go for it!!

Right on. Thank you.

I'm in the process of doing the same thing to my XR600r. I installed a Baja Designs lighting kit and feel the power the 600 produces for a 200 mile trip is fine. Mine has the stock gearing, which is pretty low for freeway speeds so I'm planning on changing the rear sprocket to a lower count but don't know what would be the best amount of teeth. 

Yeah a Harley (I have a Victory) is a better touting bike but they don't handle dirt roads very well, that's why I'm building my 600 for the street.

I'm in the process of doing the same thing to my XR600r. I installed a Baja Designs lighting kit and feel the power the 600 produces for a 200 mile trip is fine. Mine has the stock gearing, which is pretty low for freeway speeds so I'm planning on changing the rear sprocket to a lower count but don't know what would be the best amount of teeth.

Yeah a Harley (I have a Victory) is a better touting bike but they don't handle dirt roads very well, that's why I'm building my 600 for the street.

Nice. I started running 15/45 since most of my riding is highway. Works good for me cruising at about 65-70 mph. I just need to make sure and check the oil every fuel stop. Seems to go through it Fairly quick at those speeds.

Zero wrong with XR/XL/XRR/XRL for touring..With the right gearing,,I run 16/39,,the thing can hang with most road bikes so long as they don't get up to 140kph and above for long periods of time.. Probably still fine doing that pace and above for a fair while I just choose not to unless totally necessary,,Naturally a dirt bike will never be as comfortable as a purpose built road bike but hey..I can go up rivers and up mountain sides,,road bikes are just that,,road bikes,,partially useless one purpose donks..They seem to have trouble just riding a bit of gravel from what I see of them ,, :lol: ..hopeless bikes,.or maybe it's the riders..I will also say you're always going to get a sore arse riding 300-600ks in a day...I don't care what bike you're on..

Edited by Horri

Zero wrong with XR/XL/XRR/XRL for touring..With the right gearing,,I run 16/39,,the thing can hang with most road bikes so long as they don't get up to 140kph and above for long periods of time.. Probably still fine doing that pace and above for a fair while I just choose not to unless totally necessary,,Naturally a dirt bike will never be as comfortable as a purpose built road bike but hey..I can go up rivers and up mountain sides,,road bikes are just that,,road bikes,,partially useless one purpose donks..They seem to have trouble just riding a bit of gravel from what I see of them ,, :lol: ..hopeless bikes,.or maybe it's the riders..I will also say you're always going to get a sore arse riding 300-600ks in a day...I don't care what bike you're on..

Thanks for the input. I agree. It is really nice being able to climb a hill or ride a trail If I get a wild hair. I'm convinced I've got the right bike for what I wanna do. Thanks.

Yep ,,you can't beat that off road factor..I'd never and never have owned a road bike in my life because of that aspect of the dual purpose bikes..You see nice looking countryside and some rabbits/hares running around and no fences and off you go..They aren't a one trip machine to Latteville that's why I love dual purpose..Take ya beans and coffee pot and you can go anywhere,,more a wild west type thing with dual purpose..all ya needs the shotgun and you're away..

Edited by Horri

I am going to swim against the current here, but oh well...

Your bike was designed as a dirt bike. It has long travel suspension, sits waaaaay high, no battery, spindly rear frame, etc.

The engine is also not really up to the task of long days, spinning at highway speeds. A fellow XR650L rider just had his XRL touring rig throw in the towel on a run through Alaska. Top end failure.

I can't imagine a worse experience than buzzing along at highway speeds on a bike with 11-12 inches of travel. I hate to take my XRL on the highway... any side wind makes it a generally miserable experience. The seating position is great for a dirt bike, but all wrong for distance riding. I could go on, but you probably get my point. You are trying to turn a hammer into a screwdriver. Wrong tool for the job. Don't get me wrong, a hammer can be used to drive a screw, but its messy. Easier and neater to just get a screwdriver. :thinking:

I am going to swim against the current here, but oh well...

Your bike was designed as a dirt bike. It has long travel suspension, sits waaaaay high, no battery, spindly rear frame, etc.

The engine is also not really up to the task of long days, spinning at highway speeds. A fellow XR650L rider just had his XRL touring rig throw in the towel on a run through Alaska. Top end failure.

I can't imagine a worse experience than buzzing along at highway speeds on a bike with 11-12 inches of travel. I hate to take my XRL on the highway... any side wind makes it a generally miserable experience. The seating position is great for a dirt bike, but all wrong for distance riding. I could go on, but you probably get my point. You are trying to turn a hammer into a screwdriver. Wrong tool for the job. Don't get me wrong, a hammer can be used to drive a screw, but its messy. Easier and neater to just get a screwdriver. :thinking:

I appreciate the input. That's something I'll take into consideration. I guess my next question would be regarding just the engine. If a klr650 is a single cylinder thumper and appears to be built for long distance then why is it that the xr650l or the 600 engines aren't up to the task? They seem like there pretty close to the same engines to me. Please forgive my ignorance as I am pretty new to the world of thumpers.

The XR engine is 1970s air-cooled technology. I am not a fan of the KLR, but it's engine is at least late '80s technology.

Don't get me wrong, I love my pig! I can probably be accused of going the other way and trying to make mine more of a dirt bike than Honda ever intended.

IMGP0001-2.jpg

I would just caution you to be reasonable in your expectations going in so you don't end up disappointed, stranded or worse.

you know your bike, if its sound and has no issues and you change your oil regularly your good to go, any where any time, no its not as comfy as a street ride. it will be your body giving out befor your bike, they realy are a time tested engine i would not hesitate to take mine on a cross country ride.(and do) keep an eye on oil level if your doing lots of highway driving and have fun.

you know your bike, if its sound and has no issues and you change your oil regularly your good to go, any where any time, no its not as comfy as a street ride. it will be your body giving out befor your bike, they realy are a time tested engine i would not hesitate to take mine on a cross country ride.(and do) keep an eye on oil level if your doing lots of highway driving and have fun.

I'll do that. Thanks. I just added a turbo city denali rack that was for the 650l to my 600. I will be done with it tomorrow. I'll post some pics since I can't find any info on these racks for the xr600. It's a nice rack and looks good.

Well here it is. Now I just need some nice saddle bags and I'll be ready to yo next year. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1380655395.163001.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1380655404.644533.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1380655415.971060.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1380655428.859153.jpg

The rack was very easy to modify for the 600r. I do think I will be reinforcing the frame however although it probably doesn't need it. Seems very sturdy and strong.

Looks solid enough..What's the tube down the front of the motor??..I don't do a lot of touring but something that may make good saddle bags are bicycle touring ones..I've a set here I may fit if I do a run down south at some stage..Got them for like $5 at a thrift store 20 odd years ago..Good quality too..Normally when we did some Sth Island runs years ago we took just about the lot in our backpacks apart from the sleeping bag and tent strapped to the back guard,,all got kinda heavy after a while so I can see saddles as being the go these days..

Looks solid enough..What's the tube down the front of the motor??..I don't do a lot of touring but something that may make good saddle bags are bicycle touring ones..I've a set here I may fit if I do a run down south at some stage..Got them for like $5 at a thrift store 20 odd years ago..Good quality too..Normally when we did some Sth Island runs years ago we took just about the lot in our backpacks apart from the sleeping bag and tent strapped to the back guard,,all got kinda heavy after a while so I can see saddles as being the go these days..

The tube is 3 inch schedule 40 pipe. I put test plugs on it and use it as a tool tube. Works pretty good.

A buddy just rode his DR350 from the Mexico border to the Canadian border this summer; all on back roads, trails and gravel - took the slab back to Arizona. His buddies had similar bikes.

When younger and dumber I toured on a Suzuki TS-125. While out and about on the trip I heard of one guy taking the same bike from the east coast to Alaska.

I plan on tricking my 650L out to do touring on it (seat mods mainly and I have the oil cooler in hand, just need to install it). Folks have toured on much less capable machines so I see no reason why you can't. I know damn well there are parts of the Dakota's and Montana that I would much prefer a Goldwing which proves the point that at times one could do better in their choosen mount but that does not mean that you can't tour on something. Preparation and attitude are about 99% of the journey. Have fun!

A buddy just rode his DR350 from the Mexico border to the Canadian border this summer; all on back roads, trails and gravel - took the slab back to Arizona. His buddies had similar bikes.

When younger and dumber I toured on a Suzuki TS-125. While out and about on the trip I heard of one guy taking the same bike from the east coast to Alaska.

I plan on tricking my 650L out to do touring on it (seat mods mainly and I have the oil cooler in hand, just need to install it). Folks have toured on much less capable machines so I see no reason why you can't. I know damn well there are parts of the Dakota's and Montana that I would much prefer a Goldwing which proves the point that at times one could do better in their choosen mount but that does not mean that you can't tour on something. Preparation and attitude are about 99% of the journey. Have fun!

Thank you. I'm excited for next season. I'm in montana and it's starting to cool off here. I might try a couple more rides but I hate riding in snow.

if ur going to carry load id brace the frame some, stiffen the suspension (drop in a lowering link in the rear and pull the forks up through the t's to drop the front end)
get some good quality tyres etc... (oil cooler)

other than that itl be great i loved my xr6 on the rd it was a comfortable riding position not bet over like a jap bike u caught a bit of wind but a viser would fix that,
i did the "toy run" on my pig

Edited by tassie jeeper

I bought an XR6 and discovered by trial and error (stranded 1,000klms from nowhere in the desert) their Achilles heels - one of which is the stator....the other can be carrying big loads when subject to big bumps...rear frame never was designed for it....runs hot....oil capacity isn't enough for extended runs at high engine loads...you can work around most of these but you're doing the right things now (I didn't) in searching out answers to the question "what goes wrong"....like when I got stranded due to a busted stator I got on the sat phone to an XR6 electrics expert who told me "the stator's a known weak point I'd never go out in the bush without a spare"...yeah right mate...so now I know...and so do you :)

I have begun a few of them here

http://bikestuff.co/

Dave (btw I luuuurve my pig)

Edited by TopDogDave