Sign in to follow this  

Xr600 for touring?

Ok guys. So I have been building my xr to basically be a dual sport and I plan on riding a ton of miles on the highway and forrest service roads in the years to come. I plan on converting a tci rack for the 650l to fit my bike. The dilemma I'm having is that almost everybody I work with rides a harley or some type of street touring bike and they all say that I'm basically stupid and that my 600 can't handle what I'm going to ask of it. They say it will be to hard on the bike and my body. Now. I have done a 200 mile ride on it and fully enjoyed it. I have a oversized Clark tank, windscreen highway pegs and as I stated earlier I plan on using the denali rack and carrying about 40 pounds of gear on long rides. Am I asking to much of my bike? I truly love my 600 and really don't want anything else right now. Any advise would be welcomed. Thank you

I reckon they are really only suitable as a short distance tripping bike at the best,seems a bit cruel to ride them long distance at 100k all the way for what seems forever to get anywhere,you can forget about passing once you take off......id be looking at something 750cc and up at the least for doing a ton of miles,better still grab one of the late model one litre ktm's if you can afford it,now yr rolling!

Ok guys. So I have been building my xr to basically be a dual sport and I plan on riding a ton of miles on the highway and forrest service roads in the years to come. I plan on converting a tci rack for the 650l to fit my bike. The dilemma I'm having is that almost everybody I work with rides a harley or some type of street touring bike and they all say that I'm basically stupid and that my 600 can't handle what I'm going to ask of it. They say it will be to hard on the bike and my body. Now. I have done a 200 mile ride on it and fully enjoyed it. I have a oversized Clark tank, windscreen highway pegs and as I stated earlier I plan on using the denali rack and carrying about 40 pounds of gear on long rides. Am I asking to much of my bike? I truly love my 600 and really don't want anything else right now. Any advise would be welcomed. Thank you

If you enjoy it, and it gets the job done, then it's fine.

What other people think or say is just not important.

I would think the primary issues are the ones your are addressing anyway.

The big issue is gearing. You can't really gear that bike for single track and hiway at the same time, so you will probably have to gear it high.

Run it till it dies and have fun.

Be sure to change your oil and filter often (every 25 hours or less) and get an oil cooler is you plan on riding in high heat.

• Like 1

if johnny campbell and many others raced these beast up and down the baja peninsula for 1000 miles flying at flat out speeds im sure she can take it with good maintenence and regular oil changes... i would rather build a xr600 for dualsporting and ride it than riding some street cruiser... why? maybe im sick in the head , or maybe i like dirtbikes soo much 

Thanks guys. I love my bike and plan on putting a lot of miles on it next year. I'm pretty anal about the maintenance so hopefully no issues arise. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Thanks guys. I love my bike and plan on putting a lot of miles on it next year. I'm pretty anal about the maintenance so hopefully no issues arise. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Fisher Seats(maybe Upholstery) does wonderful work for cheap compared to the big guys.  A wider seat with 'custom' (weight) foam is amazingly more comfortable. I had their comfort seat on a 650L and it was all day comfortable. 

Was about $250 with a new two tone seat cover, sending them my seat pan. 

Edited by MindBlower

Fisher Seats(maybe Upholstery) does wonderful work for cheap compared to the big guys. A wider seat with 'custom' (weight) foam is amazingly more comfortable. I had their comfort seat on a 650L and it was all day comfortable.

Was about $250 with a new two tone seat cover, sending them my seat pan.

seems like a good deal. Thanks for the share.

It is less about the size of the motor, there are lots of 600-650 bikes that do well on long hauls. Heck I at one point had a CX500 that I did lot's of multiple day trips on. It is more about the gearing, weight and vibrations of the bike. The bike is not really geared for long distance road riding. It will mean lots of sustained high RPM's, which will show through vibrations up through your arms, which is what will be hard on you the rider. The weight of the bike will also be a bit of a fight. You may get tossed around a lot on the highway.

All that said, if you think your body will take it... do'er. Keep up on maintenance, look into doing some gearing changes and most importantly have fun.

Stay cool

John

If you're touring through the mountains and "trail hopping"... You have the bike for that... If you were to get a more street able adventure bike, you wouldn't be able to do the trails that you could on an XR.

Riding an XR650L is a blast in the mountain roads and on trails... But when it comes to the highway and getting to where you need to go, it's a far cry from a cruiser.

These bikes may be heavy for the trails, but they're super light on the highway. So getting passed by a big rig, or a bigger vehicle, it blows you around more which adds to strain.

I'm not trying to discourage you from what you want to do, but the riding you want to do with your multi-cylinder engine/v-twin friends is not ideal.

Come ride with me and trail hop in the Rockies, and our 650L's will suffice, but if we are doing trips long distance for hours on end, then I wouldn't suggest you following me when I'm on my Harley.

My uncle always rode with us on our street bikes on his 80 XL500 and claimed it was just fine... But he eventually got a VTX and never wants to ride long distances on his XL again.

My dad has over 100k on his XR650l. Took it all the way down to the tip of South America and back, his wife riding a XR 250 in the process. He also has a 650hr that's he's put over 500hrs on this year alone. Trust me, the bikes will handle it just fine...They won't be as comfortable as a cruiser but those will never anywhere close to a fire road....

• Like 1