Sign in to follow this  

01 cr250 clutch issues

Have a weird issue with my clutch. A couple months ago, I installed a new clutch basket, cushions, springs, steels and frictions. After installing, I had to adjust my cable/lever to almost all the way out, to where if the clutch starts to wear, I will have no more adjustment.

I used the tusk clutch kit with steel frictions. It faded horribly every race, got sick of it. Ordered new honda frictions, installed them last night hoping it may also fix the adjustment issue. Upon installation, the lever didn't need any adjustment. Same as with the tusk. Havent had the chance to ride it, but I'm assuming its not going to fix it.

Any suggestions? It has a newer clutch cable on it, but its adjustment was fine before I pit the new clutch in. I soaked the plates, almost positive it's installed correctly. Thanks in advance for any help.

are you sure the problem isnt the tusk steel plates? seems thats the only thing left if im understanding you right.

edit: do you still have the OEM aluminum plates that you can measure and compare them to the new tusks?

Edited by mynewcr250

I wish I still had the stock aluminum plates, but I threw them away. I need to measure the tusk ones that I'm running I guess. Anyone know what they should be?

the 00-01 honda manual says to measure the discs/plates, but doesnt provide a spec for the plates :rolleyes:

they say the 8 frictions should be 2.92-3.08mm each

they say the 7 plates (5 aluminum, 2 steel) can have a max warpage of 0.20mm

the 02-03 honda manual doesnt even say to measure the plates, it only provides the warpage spec.

you sure the thrust washer didnt fall out during replacement?

clutch_zps3d698e43.png

Edited by mynewcr250

I can't be positive the thrust washer is there without tearing it back apart. But when I assembled it I used the service manual and I'm sure I wouldn't have left it out. Ill tear it down and see, cause I've been known to make plenty of stupid mistakes lol

If you are sure you put things together just ride it. Later on if it needs adjusting trim the cable housing just a little . Sounds like you should take it apart and look to make sure you didn't miss anything first..

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

I can't be positive the thrust washer is there without tearing it back apart. But when I assembled it I used the service manual and I'm sure I wouldn't have left it out. Ill tear it down and see, cause I've been known to make plenty of stupid mistakes lol

if you have some calipers, could you provide a measurement of the frictions discs as well as the plates? im interested

I just put some Tusk plates and discs in my 01. I've had it out twice in the woods and all seems fine to me. No problem with cable adjustment.

In the process of disassembly now. Tusk steel measures about 1.5mm +/- .02

i think thats normal, based on some posts i read online, but i cant be sure. supposedly the steels in the OEM disc are actually thinner than the aluminum discs, but again, im not sure.

i notice you said you have a new clutch cable installed. stupid question, but did you make adjustments to both adjusters (major AND minor) to try to get it setup?

I adjusted the cable and the one on the perch. I changed the cable a couple rides before the clutch. So I know the cable is fine.

I took the basket off, all thrush washers were there and installed correctly. I give up I guess