First 600: going to look at xr600r tomorrow, it clicks and burns oil, what do I look for?

I am looking for an XR600 or XL600, there is an XR600 in town that looks in good shape, the owner said it was in storage thirteen years. He got it out and was riding it, he took it on a trip to Moab, and on the way back it started making a ticking noise.hee also said it was burning oil fast. Two quarts in 120 miles of fast hard riding.

I need advice, does this sound like valve lash? Cylinder rings? That's a lot of oil but several people have posted these burn a lot of oil at high speed.

He is asking 1000, but that's too high.I was thinking of offering 600 maybe if it sounds ok

Edited by goneballistic

For 1,000, I'd pass on that one. There are plenty of good running XRs out there for maybe a little more that don't need major work. I bought one for a 1,000 that I've been working on and it adds up. 

If I can get it for 600 does that change the equation? Or just pass altogether?  I am wondering if the ticking is valves and oil burn is cause he was riding on the road?  I have read several posts indicating they may use a lot of oil road riding...

Not that much oil. Something is definitely wrong with it. It was parked for 15 years so all the seals are most likely dried up. Be patient and crunch the numbers on the worst case scenerio, that being it needs a top end.

If you're a decent mechanic you can save big and DIY. And remember, those older XL's parts are very hard to find.

good luck

Most likely, the barrel rusted up (oil burning) and the crank big end rusted up (the 'click'). So unless you want to do a major rebuild and probalby triple your investment, I'd walk.

I wouldn`t touch that with a ten foot pole.......... :lol:

Seriously,,unless you can get it for almost nothing...cause you are going to be doing a full on rebuild...and probably not only the engine...

B

That's too bad, it is a decent looking bike. There's a 92 xrl engine for sale locally, three hundred, I really should be looking at xl600s not xrs,I want to take the wife for rides sometimes

You have a phone number for that XRL motor???? ;)  I'm serious !

I would at least listen to the tick and where it's coming from. It could be that he ran it low and took out the cam and one or 2 rocker, If that's the case you probably can expect to bore /piston and ring job, plus cam and some rockers(ebay usually has heads and covers for parts). Do the work yourself and it would be worth it to me for $500-$600 for a bike in good shape otherwise. But....... could be more than that, real easy depends on where that tick is coming from.

Around here beat up junk still goes for $1000, good shape bikes are $2000+.

Edited by jjktmrider

jjktmrider,

he just called me back and told me he was down to 500 and was I still interested.   Now I'm interested and I'm considering getting this bike and the XL600 motor and putting that motor into it.  It should fit as far as I can tell, it's virtually the same motor but with a different stroke.

if I don't I'll get you the number on it, I will go look at it tonight, but from his account, it's in good shape the rest of the bike.

the bad news is he was riding it when it started, leading me to believe that he did just what you guys think,  ran it low or something and burned the cam or something.

What's a head job cost anyway? i will do most of the work myself I think. other than the machining...

I was mistaken on the spare motor,  it's a1992 XR600 Motor,  not an XL. I called him and double checked.  Compression is 130'ish,  has everything but the carb.

How tough would it be to convert a 1987 dual carb XR600 to a 1992 Single Carb XR600 motor?  He said he'll give me the motor for 250 if I want it.

just put an FCR carb on it

I was mistaken on the spare motor,  it's a1992 XR600 Motor,  not an XL. I called him and double checked.  Compression is 130'ish,  has everything but the carb.

How tough would it be to convert a 1987 dual carb XR600 to a 1992 Single Carb XR600 motor?  He said he'll give me the motor for 250 if I want it.

Probably not that difficult,,their is of course the airbox issue to contend with..That may be able to be solved by pulling the front off the twin carb XR airbox and installing one from the end of a single carb box..Maybe a bit of fab work would be needed there,,not sure as I never looked closely at it when I owned the twin carb jobs..Anyway..you have two motors so you're bound to be able to get one good one out of the two even if you have to buy a few bits..Hit and miss affair ,,If you want to take the risk go for it..compression test doesn't mean a lot though,,the top end of the 92  could also be flogged out..Your choice and risk..

Edited by Horri

I'd get them both and make one good motor out of the 2, then as long as the spare motor isn't stripped of everything good I'd sell it to someone online ;) . :rolleyes:

Hold on.  This may not be as bad as you think.  

The ticking is most likely a stretched cam chain.  Very common on the big thumpers and not to difficult to replace if you get a book and watch a few youtube videos for a guide.  The smoke is just a worn out piston and probably an "ovaled" out cylinder.  New cam chain, guides and a spring on the tensioner is about $125 to $135.  Bore the cylinder one mm over and get a Pro-X piston kit for about a hundred bucks or so.  Bore shouldn't be more than about 60 to 80.

Check the oil in it.  the crank and the rod can wear out and you will find copper colored shavings in the oil.  But my guess is the guy just wants to get rid of it as he doesn't have the desire to fix anything on it.

What you really need to check for are the consumables as those can add up quick.  Wheel bearings, head bearings, swingarm bearings, shock bearings, linkage bearings, chain, sprockets, tires, fork oil, fork seals, shock seal,  etc.  Those alone can be $400 to $600 depending on the brands you go with and even more.go

Good luck with whatever way you decide to go. 

OK update:  I went and looked at the bike,  it started right up but smoked, and made a helluva racket.  all sounded like top end. No "click" to speak of, but helluva racket out of the top end.  no vibration or anything I could feel in the case, but just noisy as hell.

using mechanics stethascope it all sounds like cylinder or top end.

I repeated what you guys said, asked him if he was riding it at high speed.  his eyes got big and he said yes. Rode from Provo to Moab on freeway about 70mph. Two hours ride. when he got to moab they rode around for a few hours, then next day rode an hour back to price Utah, about an hour. about five miles out of price it started getting louder,  they stopped in price and checked oil. No oil. They filled it with oil and started it but it started making that noise. They loaded it in the chase truck and he rode back in the truck. has not started since.

bike seemingly in good shape otherwise, swingarm tight,  forks not leaking, head bearings tight, no oil leaks, felt like decent compression on the kick but you can feel it's a little looser than normal. Not bad though.  Seat stock and in great shape. Wheels tight no wiggle,  plastics good with exception of rear fender which has a little burn on it where it's hit the exhaust pipe,   end of the day,  got the bike for 350.     

now to the motor: locally there is an XR600 motor for sale that was in a running bike, he took it out to put in a bobber project, but decided to use a different motor.   he says the motor is a 1992 XR600 motor with a Starter on it. I said there was no 1992 XR's with starters but he says there was an enduro model with a starter. It LOOKS like a 600 motor. looks exactly the same.

Im tempted to pick it up and put an EStart motor in there, but not sure if that'd work. For sure I'd lose kick start but is that a huge deal?  and It has no carb. someone earlier suggested a single barrel FCP carb, which seems like a good option.

If the other motor won't fit, I'll pull this one apart when I get my Big Bear 400 put back together and get some room.  praying it's the top end and not the bottom....

I did replace the head gasket in my wife's LX450 Land cruiser, and have done a transmission rebuild. It CAN'T be worse than that %@#$# head gasket.  so I plan on doing any mechanical myself. I saw a series of videos on Youtube called XR600 rebuild. it's the same motor as that and I think all of that looks doable....

Edited by goneballistic

It's an Xr-l motor if it's a starter motor, a XR650L motor , both look identical. The cam and several rocker are shot guaranteed but not that bad to source those out.

To swap out for starter you will need the cdi for that motor, the starter wiring harness, a battery for the starter, and all relays, solenoids that go with it.

Plus the handlebar switch. I was looking to do that with my XL, sick of kicking.

Edited by jjktmrider

this is the motor.  Frankly getting the wiring and all the relays etc sounds like a PITA. I'm going to pull this motor that is in this bike apart and hope the damage is contained in the top end,  then replace those parts with parts from Ebay, or just pay someone to do a head job and bore the cylinder and put new piston in it.

If it's in the bottom,  then I'll try and figure out what I'll do then.

Screen Shot 2013-10-02 at 8.53.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-10-02 at 8.53.26 PM.png

Edited by goneballistic

Yep, 650L motor

Strike me silly..and he only wants 250 for that engine..Wish I was in America,,I'd be into that engine like a rat up a drainpipe..total bargain. Wouldn't give a toss whats wrong with it..bargain

Edited by Horri

Rode from Provo to Moab on freeway about 70mph. Two hours ride. when he got to moab they rode around for a few hours, then next day rode an hour back to price Utah, about an hour. about five miles out of price it started getting louder,  they stopped in price and checked oil. No oil. They filled it with oil and started it but it started making that noise. They loaded it in the chase truck and he rode back in the truck. has not started since.

should check the oil after prolonged highway speeds even new motors burn oil in these things,  i learnt that years ago

Edited by tassie jeeper