Sign in to follow this  

Countershaft sprocket loctite fix...again

Yep it's our favourite topic...followed closely by "Which oil...?"

My question is (hopefully) a simple one

I have been quoted a stupid price ($105) for 15 ml of loctite 271 (F#@K!) This is the loctite recommended for the "fix" in FAQ.

However loctite 262 is only $15.

Is there any reason 262 could not be used as a substitute?

Wow both those prices suck! Don't you guys have any big box stores down there like Walmart? I wouldn't pay over $5 for a bottle of loctite myself. Maybe this will help:http://www.loctite.com.au/2957_AUS_HTML.htm?countryCode=aue&BU=industrial&parentredDotUID=dealerlocater&redDotUID=dealerlocator&param1=type%253Ddistributor%257Cx%253D0%257Cy%253D0%257Caction%253D%257CpageIndex%253D0%257CdistributorType%253D1%257C

Edited by drz400s_guy

Thanks, good link to web site .  Seems as though the products are quite similar in properties. 262 good for up to M20 threads, 271 good for up to M25.

mmm...any other wisdom out there?

There are brands that aren't named "loctite" but are equivalent in strength and have the same properties. For instance, Loctite is pretty expensive here in Iceland, but we get pretty good German chemical stuff here for better prices. You might have something local. Maybe you get some high-quality Japanese stuff over there?

There is nothing magic about Loctite brand.  It is common in the US so that is what is used here. Generically you are looking for hight strength, gap filling, anaerobic thread (or shaft ) locker that will fill and cure in up to .005" (0.13mm) gaps.

Where are you getting a 6ml tube of 271 for under $5.00?

Yep it's our favourite topic...followed closely by "Which oil...?"

My question is (hopefully) a simple one

I have been quoted a stupid price ($105) for 15 ml of loctite 271 (F#@K!) This is the loctite recommended for the "fix" in FAQ.

However loctite 262 is only $15.

Is there any reason 262 could not be used as a substitute?

262 is fine.

Henkle is the source company for Loctite. Henkle is world wide and German based .

WEICON - WEICONLOCK AN 302-70 might be easier to find.. it was last time I was in AU.

• Like 1

Thanks as usual...the spec sheet seemed to show the 262 was more or less equivalent , but good to have the input from the experts here so I can sleep easy.

Weicon ... Never seen that

Needed threadloc when I was there prepping our Race Truck....went to a local auto parts place in Melbourne where we were staging out of,, for the life of me I do not remember the name .. and found Weicon... bought it and kept looking for Loctite, never did find it... And our Sponsor was a tyre importer/ supplier/ dealer and fellow racer..... he had no idea where to find the stuff either.

Where are you getting a 6ml tube of 271 for under $5.00?

That might be a stretch today, but maybe back when I did my FAQ fixes it was about right. I have a source where I can get it free anyway, so it dosen't really count.

Ok , saga continues....

Repco (Australia wide autoparts store) said they has Loctite 262 ...so far so good.

When I turned up they somehow didn't have it ...great!!!

The guy tried to sell me Loctite 263 instead and I was about to go off on one when I noticed on the bottle it said "Replaces Loctite 270/271".

$15 for the 263 ...Good enough.

Hope this info helps others

• Like 1

Ok , saga continues....

Repco (Australia wide autoparts store) said they has Loctite 262 ...so far so good.

When I turned up they somehow didn't have it ...great!!!

The guy tried to sell me Loctite 263 instead and I was about to go off on one when I noticed on the bottle it said "Replaces Loctite 270/271".

$15 for the 263 ...Good enough.

Hope this info helps others

LOCTITE® 263 – HIGH STRENGTH THREADLOCKER

Loctite® 263 offers reliable cure on passive metals, increased oil tolerance and improved high-temperature performance – all in one high-strength formulation. Replaces Loctite® 270 and Loctite® 271 formulations in Asia.

The original announcement was for non US markets.. But in the time passing, may have gone world wide... "Beginning January 2010, Henkels Corporation, makers of Loctite products, have discontinued the Loctite 270 Product. They are replacing orders for Loctite 270 with Loctite 263"

Loctite 680 or 638 retaining compound is still likely the better choice, just not commonly available at your local hardware or autoparts store.

The New 263  is a great replacement or alternative to 271/270 from what I can find. 

• Like 1