Sign in to follow this  

Oil leak

Hey guys, so I was under my bike trying to see how to adjust my shifter(just started riding with mx boots) and I noticed there was some oil and a lot if crud around the shifter arm area. At first I thought it was coming out of the case where the shifter sprocket comes out, but now I believe it's coming out from behind the front sprocket.

There is a lot of caked on dirt and stuff witch leaves me to believe it been leaking for a while. It must be a small leak because it never leaves spots when parked and I changed the oil 110 miles ago and there is no noticeable difference in the oil level.

Well to get a better look I pulled off the sprocket cover, and the bolt that holds it on is loose. The washer behind it is bent around it to keep it from rotating. There is a tiny bit of play in the sprocket, but it's very little. Maybe a 1/16" of movement.

So I am thinking I need to do the loctite fix. I read the thread and seen what parts I need to buy (the links don't work for me if anyone has links to the part in the tt store that would be awesome!). I am wondering besides 3 parts listed and the 2 screws is there any other parts I should order or replace while the front sprocket is off?

Below are a few pics of what I was swing, let me know if you think my assessment is incorrect(I don't know anything about motorcycles and I am not even close to a mechanic)

And lastly, I figured while I have the cover off, after I get all the seals and loctite on I would power wash my bike and get all the nasty stuff off from around the area. Is there any reason I shouldn't do this? If it is ok to do do y'all have a suggestion on chain lubrication?

Sorry for all the questions guys, I get nervous when things are not right with bike as I can't afford to just drop a few grand on another bike if this one goes down. (That being said if there is anyone near the upstate of South Carolina that knows these bikes and could give me a hand installing the thumpertalk mcct, I could compensate them for there time!)

That's for any and all advice!

image.jpg

image.jpg

2 different things going on.  Loose sprocket and oil leak.  These are 2 independent things. But in this case the fix is the same.

Yes replace the nut, lock washer, seal collar, O ring and seal. The seal retainer screws are optional depending on if they come out easy or get buggered up in the process.  Probably also replace the sprocket if it shows much wear.

Take the sprocket off then clean things up good.  No power wash, too aggressive.  Use solvent and/or soap and water.

The Loctite fix does not necessarily require any parts to be replaced.  But in your case the oil leak does, so good to do it all at once.

It is not a difficult procedure but take your time.  Careful removing the seal.  There is no shoulder to position the seal so the new one needs to go in to the same depth as the oils one.  Just flush.  New seal collar goes in the same as the old one.  Don't install backwards.

An impact driver works best to remove the seal retainer screws.

2 different things going on.  Loose sprocket and oil leak.  These are 2 independent things. But in this case the fix is the same.

Yes replace the nut, lock washer, seal collar, O ring and seal. The seal retainer screws are optional depending on if they come out easy or get buggered up in the process.  Probably also replace the sprocket if it shows much wear.

Take the sprocket off then clean things up good.  No power wash, too aggressive.  Use solvent and/or soap and water.

The Loctite fix does not necessarily require any parts to be replaced.  But in your case the oil leak does, so good to do it all at once.

It is not a difficult procedure but take your time.  Careful removing the seal.  There is no shoulder to position the seal so the new one needs to go in to the same depth as the oils one.  Just flush.  New seal collar goes in the same as the old one.  Don't install backwards.

An impact driver works best to remove the seal retainer screws.

So I just need to order the all balls counter shaft kit, and a new counter shaft nut and I should be all set?

Thanks!

I don't know anything about aftermarket kits.  I use OEM parts.  Not that expensive and you can order the Kawasaki clone parts for a little savings.