150xc for MX?

I've heard the xc does ok on an mx track, never ridden one though. I thought hard bout going with the xc, but ride track a lot more than trail so I went with the sx. For that kind of deal I'd buy it and either enjoy it on the trails, or sell it. That bike is 6900 bucks before fees and taxes here.

Not exactly the case...but I agree the xc will do ok on a track, not as well as the sx though.

Well, the suspension may be lighter sprung but they are the same forks and shocks as the sx models.

KTM's website lists the gear ratios for the sx and the xc as the same.

I know they have different cdi boxes...not sure about any other differences...I am sure there are several small differences.

Now the xc-W models will be significantly different.

But an xc with suspension tuned for mx will be almost indistinguishable from an sx on the track.

• Like 1

Well, the suspension may be lighter sprung but they are the same forks and shocks as the sx models.

KTM's website lists the gear ratios for the sx and the xc as the same.

I know they have different cdi boxes...not sure about any other differences...I am sure there are several small differences.

Now the xc-W models will be significantly different.

But an xc with suspension tuned for mx will be almost indistinguishable from an sx on the track.

Yep, you're correct. In fact I just did a little research, it said the xc came with either a wr tranny, or a close ratio? There is a choice, or did I mis-read, not quite through my first cup of coffee...?

The xc models are just sx models with a larger tank and handguards.

The xc will do fine on an mx track.

The xc models are just sx models with a larger tank and handguards.

The xc will do fine on an mx track.

not really the suspension is valved completely different and the trans is different. so if you are trying to race and go really hard i think u are better off to try to find something else. i have a 250xc and a 350 sxf i know they are different bikes but the xc suspension is just to soft on the track. 

Edited by SmokerRider99

Since I consider a revalve needed on both you can end up with the same suspension.

The tranny is the same on the 150's, but the carb is a 36 on xc vs 38 for sx.

On the 250 2st and 350 4st the close ratio tranny for the xc works great on the track. 2-5 is very close to the sx counterparts, 1st is lower and then 6th is there as an added gear on top.

not really the suspension is valved completely different and the trans is different. so if you are trying to race and go really hard i think u are better off to try to find something else. i have a 250xc and a 350 sxf i know they are different bikes but the xc suspension is just to soft on the track. 

The trans in the xc and the sx are identical per the specs on KTM's website. 

A simple revalve will make the suspension the same....and like edgyone said...a revalve is pretty much a given for anyone who races MX. 

The 150xc is a great "do it all bike" 

Yep, you're correct. In fact I just did a little research, it said the xc came with either a wr tranny, or a close ratio? There is a choice, or did I mis-read, not quite through my first cup of coffee... ?

The XC models come with the standard close-ratio trans. 

The XC-W models come with the wide ratio trans. (hence the "W" in the model name).

The XC-W's also come with the open cartridge forks and are significantly softer sprung/valved for a comfy trail ride. 

The XC models come with the standard close-ratio trans.

The XC-W models come with the wide ratio trans. (hence the "W" in the model name).

The XC-W's also come with the open cartridge forks and are significantly softer sprung/valved for a comfy trail ride.

well that means ktm has changed the trans in the xc since my 2012. Because mines a semi closed with a 6th gear

• 4 months later...

If you ride aggressive anywhere, get the SX. If you are more trail focussed and like occasionally riding a track, the XC will work with some tuning. I have the SX and race it in enduros and MX. All I did was buy a Turbine 2 sparky and a larger Gas Tank. I now prefer the 19" rear tire and don't need the kick stand. If you are 195lbs, you will need some suspension tuning. The bike is so light any little tuning makes an impact.

I also have a 450 XCF... suspension has never been great for aggressive track riding, but it is OK. I even had FC set up the suspension for my weight and re-valve, still have issues with the forks on big landings.