Sign in to follow this  

Sproket sizes for woods riding.

Wondering what I should change my sprokets to. Last race I was in 1st and 2nd 90% of the time but even 1st had too open of a range for some of the tight stuff. I dont want to hold it back too much in the straights though. Should I leave it or make a few changes? Id prefer to change the front sproket just to see first just because its cheaper.

drop one in the front and go up 1 or 2 in the back..........sounds like you need a big change!!!

Well it was super muddy so we were going pretty slow, but some spots I was going just as fast as I would if it was dry and without the clutch part of the way in it would have stalled. I'm doing a few odd jobs to come up with some cash to use towards a new WC Clutch Perch since My oem one doesn't turn. (The adjuster wouldn't turn so I'd have the clutch all the way in and it was almost all free play) That could have been the problem, but it felt like it was about to stall the whole race. 1st was way too big of a range for most of the riding there, but 2nd,3rd,4th were fine in the open mud sections. Never touched 5th the whole race. I also thought a remap could help, but I'm trying to put that off until I get the money for an exhaust system so I don't have to get 2 remaps. I might just try going up 3 in front. You can still run the same chain when you do that can't you?

1st was way too big of a range for most of the riding there, but 2nd,3rd,4th were fine in the open mud sections. Never touched 5th the whole race. I also thought a remap could help, but I'm trying to put that off until I get the money for an exhaust system so I don't have to get 2 remaps. I might just try going up 3 in front. You can still run the same chain when you do that can't you?

lets get on the same page here........a crf250r comes stock with a 13/50 i think? and if you would go up 3 in the front which would be a 16/50 and i dought it would pull it without frying your clutch.......going up 3 in the front is the same thing as taking off 9 teeth in the rear and you would have to be in the salt flats for that to work........i really think you should just start with taking one off the front making it a 12/50 and trying that setup for the woods