Sign in to follow this  

OK, gimmie the bad news...

1997 CR250R

Slight oil leak from the header pipe....lots of white smoke and gas smell from the exhaust. Runs fine oil is good, not a cold starter though, has to kick it a dozen times lately.

No strange engine sounds, no power drops, has balls in every gear.

Just repacked the silencer, and cleaned the header pipe...new O rings and springs.

I use decent oil for the fuel mix, not the best but decent, solid 32:1 ratio.

Are the oil leak and white smoke related? I know two strokes smoke a little but my tank when I was in the army would have been hard pressed to put out this much smoke. Exaggerating a little but it's a lot of smoke.

What do you think?

White smoke is coolant in the combustion chamber.

A leak in the exhaust manifold to the pipe is bad. Don't forget that a 2T exhaust flows both ways, In and out of the cylinder. A leak in this area is the same as an air leak in the motor. Make sure when you reassemble, after finding you coolant leak, (head gasket) to clean both surface well and use honda bond HT to seal the pipe on the manifold. Or in your case the back side of the cylinder.

Edited by Kirkes
  • Like 1

White smoke is coolant in the combustion chamber.

A leak in the exhaust manifold to the pipe is bad. Don't forget that a 2T exhaust flows both ways, In and out of the cylinder. A leak in this area is the same as an air leak in the motor. Make suure when you reassemble, after finding you coolant leak, (head gasket) to clean both surface well and use honda bond HT to seal the pipe on the manifold. Or in yon case the back side of the cylinder.

That is what I was affraid of.

Looks like I am rebuilding the top end. Argg. I am not looking forward to this.

What kind of riding do you do.?  Did it just start smoking or has it always been like this ?

Just casual riding, playing around mostly. no racing. It's always smoked a bit, but I just changed oils for my premix and was kinda hoping that was the cause of the heavy white smoke.  I checked the radiator and the fluid level is perfect, so if it's leaking it must me a microscopic leak. as for the oil leak from the header pipe, it's very little but any concerns me. After three hours of riding, I had a one inch drip trail from the manifold, so it's not a heavy leak. I just ran the old gas out of the system so I am going to get some high quality oil to premix and test it out.