Sign in to follow this  

Motocross MXoN 250 versus 450

So wierd to see 250 bikes racing 450 bikes (and a 350 too).

Certainly was not uncommon to see a 250 bike ahead of a 450 bike.

What was the total?  If we look at just the top ten finishers in all three races, how many were 250 vs 450?

Top 30 (10x3) what was the breakdown?

Doesn't seem there is a huge advantage to having 200 more ccs.

Coo

Edited by CooHead

There is not much difference anymore. Its all about usable power. Ride the 250 on the rev limiter and it puts out great power and great speed. Keep a 450 chugging along in the mid range so you are able to use the power and keep speed up and the 250 is able to post similar results.

Here are the top 10 of race 1 and 2 that were the races where 250Fs were ridden:

Race 1

Race 2

Dean Ferris from Australia holeshotted both races he was in on a 250F

Edited by twinshocker
  • Like 2

Having been to a bunch of SX races lately, as well as several National events, I have been saying for some time that, unless you are racing on hilly tracks at elevation (Colorado/Utah), I believe the 250F is virtually  the equal of the 450 when modded to the extent that the top-shelf bikes are.  If the 450 has any advantage, it is a small one at that.  

Villapoto ran the fastest lap time at washougal nationals on his 250f back in the day ...no big D

I watched the races and it sounded like they were all on E-Bikes

The only sound was Emig and his ass kissin buddy

So ten out of top 20 were 450 machines.

Nine out of 20 were 250, with the 350 thrown in there for good measure.

250 got the holeshots and 350 went 1 & 1.

Why doesnt anybody race the 250 in the 450 class here in MX or SX?

If that is what they are good at and what they are familiar with, why not stay on it?

I watched the races and it sounded like they were all on E-Bikes

The only sound was Emig and his ass kissin buddy

That dude was a dick. I usually side with tomac. But Kenny straight up beat him. And that guy was like yeah if we were in the states and the national was on the line he would have made the pass. B.S!!

LOL

Did you watch the race? Some big hills out there

Pretty much every rider interviewed said the track suited the 250's with no room to fully utilize the power on the 450.

Barcia:

Yeah it was definitely a 250 track because it was just so tight and choppy. You can’t really use the 450s power to its potential here. Like, I watched Tony [Cairoli] and he’s just sick on this stuff. Shifts good, really smooth. The last moto, I tried to ride like him and rode way better. Shift up, cross lines, that crazy Euro stuff.

Pretty much every rider interviewed said the track suited the 250's with no room to fully utilize the power on the 450.

Barcia:

Yeah it was definitely a 250 track because it was just so tight and choppy. You can’t really use the 450s power to its potential here. Like, I watched Tony [Cairoli] and he’s just sick on this stuff. Shifts good, really smooth. The last moto, I tried to ride like him and rode way better. Shift up, cross lines, that crazy Euro stuff.

Maybe it's a 350 kind of track

• Like 3

RV smoked the entire field on a 250F at Budds Creek, including RC on his 450.

RV smoked the entire field on a 250F at Budds Creek, including RC on his 450.

RC crashed at the start

RC crashed at the start

James Stewart landed directly on his back and he still got up, fired the bike up, and came in 2nd. Still doesn't discount the fact that he destroyed the other 38 riders on a 250f.

James Stewart landed directly on his back and he still got up, fired the bike up, and came in 2nd. Still doesn't discount the fact that he destroyed the other 38 riders on a 250f.

I'm not taking anything away from RV but I'm not adding to it like everyone else

I'm not taking anything away from RV but I'm not adding to it like everyone else

I get what you're saying, but RV at the 2007 MXoN was absolutely epic. Definitely one of the best rides I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing.

• Like 1

I remember I think in 96 Omara on a factory CR125 beating all of the rest of the world behind his team mates. Total domination every moto.

Craigus