Sign in to follow this  

Swinging arm spindle stuck

Hi does any 1 know how to overcome this problem. The engine will pivot on it and the swinging arm will move but a can't get it out I have had heat on it and been hitting it with a hammer but it won't even start to move. I have tried moving the wheel up and down while hitting it and also rocking the engine up and down.

Lay it on its side and soak it with penerating oil.  Forget about it for a few days then come back and give it a try.  Also, try giving it a few taps in one direction and then back in the other direction.

The bearing sleeves (inner races of the swing-arm pivot roller bearings) are rusted to the swing-arm pivot axle.

BG10459 is right on with the only real solution... soak everything with penetrating oil and hopefully you can bust it free.   If you have to use a hammer on the pivot axle, put a nut on there backwards or it will mushroom the threads and you'll have another big problem to solve.  A brass, plastic or wood drift can soften the beating on the steel hardware.

You should grease the pivot axle as well as the front and rear wheel-axles every time you install them.  Sure it makes a bit of a mess, but it prevents this issue.

Thanks for the advise. Its lying on its side with oil in it. I havnt had the bike long. And yes always grease bearings and spindles and you wont get these problems.