Crashed jumping my enduro bike..

Yesterday I crashed jumping my KTM 300.  This is a natural terrain jump, has a sharp launch ramp that's only a few feet high, but has to throw you over 20' in distance to clear a gully trench.

But what went wrong--I will forever wonder.  Just as I've done before, I hit the ramp in the top of 2nd gear and blipped the throttle right as I hit the ramp.  But this time I landed a few feet short of the "downramp" and cased it hard on the front wheel, crashing off the right side of the bike.  Then the bike hit the ground and flipped on top of me.  Classic endo crash for the enduro rider.

Two questions for TTalkers

1. KTM triple clamps are engineered fo flex, only have to torque them down 12.5 lbs on top, 9.5 lbs on bottom.  My left fork leg slipped 1/8" up in the triple clamps. This had to have happened in the crash because this has never happened in over 2,200 miles of riding this bike.  Has anyone else ever had this happen from landing way too hard?
  2. My head landed on the ground, right side.  The blow wasn't too bad, but when I stood up my vision was dizzy like the world was spinning.  The dizziness went away after a few secs, but it concerned me because I took a massive blow to my brain on the right side 10 years ago.  My pupils were not dilated.  Anyone ever sustain a concussion with these symptoms??
Edited by LovingOffroadPain

Don't fool around if you even think you have been concussed. Go see a doctor bro!! Drain bamage = not no good!!

If you were dizzy there is no doubt you suffered a concussion. All concussions have consequences. And I have never seen fork clamp torque specs as low as yours. Double ck.

You got a concussion for sure. Go to the Doc for a concussion protocol, and maybe cut the straps off that helmet and get a new one.

If you were dizzy there is no doubt you suffered a concussion. All concussions have consequences. And I have never seen fork clamp torque specs as low as yours. Double ck.

The specs are right on the triple clamps: 17 Newton meters for the top, 12 Newton meters for the bottom.  I've seen threads on TTalk debating this issue, and my KTM dealer said it's correct so I've been going with it.  I landed hard on that jump, harder than I ever have before.  Those specs have never failed me, but I'm gonna double check that they are adequate.

Hope you a quick recovery! I wonder if the sx models have the same triple clamps, with the same torque specs...

I have a 12 Husaburg TE 300 and it has the same torque specs. I've heard that over torqueing the clamps can damage the tubes. During a crash, it may be better that things slip a bit. I'd put back to spec and not worry about it. Check to make sure things straight.

I've had the wind knocked out of me (more than once ) and felt dizzy when I got up; checked my helmet and it had no evidence of taking a hit. Did you have trouble breathing after you got up?

From my experienc, if you have to question going to the doc, you usually have too. Better safe than sorry

Hope you a quick recovery! I wonder if the sx models have the same triple clamps, with the same torque specs...

Yes they do, I check mine every other ride. It seems they always take a little bit of a turn to get back to proper tourque.

I have a 12 Husaburg TE 300 and it has the same torque specs. I've heard that over torqueing the clamps can damage the tubes. During a crash, it may be better that things slip a bit. I'd put back to spec and not worry about it. Check to make sure things straight.

I've had the wind knocked out of me (more than once ) and felt dizzy when I got up; checked my helmet and it had no evidence of taking a hit. Did you have trouble breathing after you got up?

No breathing trouble. Sprained wrist slightly and a little busted up. Not bad for pounding the ground with my body and having a 230 lb motorcycle topple over me.

No breathing trouble. Sprained wrist slightly and a little busted up. Not bad for pounding the ground with my body and having a 230 lb motorcycle topple over me.

I'm afraid I'm gonna have to agree with everyone saying "see your doctor".  Having said that,  I lost the front wheel and hit the ground pretty hard on the left side once but jumped up immediately, not dizzy, vision fine so I didn't take that any farther.  The only after-affect I had was a little soreness on that side of my head and cheek.  Kind of a surface thing like a bruise.

I'm afraid I'm gonna have to agree with everyone saying "see your doctor".  Having said that,  I lost the front wheel and hit the ground pretty hard on the left side once but jumped up immediately, not dizzy, vision fine so I didn't take that any farther.  The only after-affect I had was a little soreness on that side of my head and cheek.  Kind of a surface thing like a bruise.

My question is where do you draw the line between heal on your own vs the doctor?  And what can the doctor do about a slight slight concussion?  That's if I even had one, which I seriously doubt.

If it were a major crash on a bigger jump, or if I was ejected from the bike mid-air and had nothing to break my fall, I would agree with all of you guys.  As it was though, I landed on the bike, almost rode it out but came down on the right of the bike.  I appreciate the concern, but I'm feeling normal.  In fact I felt fine just a few minutes after the crash, just had a dizzy spell. 

My question is where do you draw the line between heal on your own vs the doctor?  And what can the doctor do about a slight slight concussion?  That's if I even had one, which I seriously doubt.

That question I can't answer.  I wish I could for...ya know...next time.  And if you DID have a slight concussion, I'm not sure what the doc would do any way other than tell you not to do it again, especially right away.  Maybe just let him decide if you had one or not?  Or is your co-pay holding you back?  Not criticizing!  It IS involved in my decision to go and see him.

As a brain trauma sufferer I would say see your doctor.  Brain trauma sucks and it happens easier with every impact/concussion.

Have you suffered any concussions before this?

As a brain trauma sufferer I would say see your doctor.  Brain trauma sucks and it happens easier with every impact/concussion.

Have you suffered any concussions before this?

No.  I've had several severe concussions and been in a coma for two days from TBI (traumatic brain injury).  Never have I had symptoms as minor as a short dizzy spell that goes away.  In the past I've been tired, loopy, asking the same questions again and again, loss of memory, pupils dilated, etc. 

With this wreck I felt fine after a few minutes.  Concussions I've had have always left me feeling nasty for a day or two.. or for three months in the case of the TBI.  My rule of thumb.. just don't jump bc my bike is not setup for it.

I suggest taking a couple weeks off as a precaution. And your "normal" is probably not considered normal by those in the medical community  knowing your history. The consequences of being macho now may lead to an entirely different scenario in your later years. And moreso to those taking care of you. Just try to use good, informed judgment.

Give it a couple weeks, especially considering your history. My last concussion did not really start to show signs until a week after the crash. Better safe than sorry.

Did you see stars at all?

I suggest taking a couple weeks off as a precaution. And your "normal" is probably not considered normal by those in the medical community  knowing your history. The consequences of being macho now may lead to an entirely different scenario in your later years. And moreso to those taking care of you. Just try to use good, informed judgment.

I wish I would have wimped out and seen a doctor.  Trust me you don't want to wind up with a brain tumor they won't touch until you are dying.

I have suffered multiple TBI's over the years and what you describe would worry me some.  I would take a couple few weeks off or at least just putt around for a while.  I have felt fine after a crash that made me feel dizzy, but others could see I wasn't quite right...

I wish I would have wimped out and seen a doctor.  Trust me you don't want to wind up with a brain tumor they won't touch until you are dying.

I have suffered multiple TBI's over the years and what you describe would worry me some.  I would take a couple few weeks off or at least just putt around for a while.  I have felt fine after a crash that made me feel dizzy, but others could see I wasn't quite right...

I've seen race car drivers go thru this.  As they get better after "having their bell rung", as it used to be known, you could see they weren't normal, with a goofy smile on their face.  But THEY thought they were just fine...all healed up and ready to race.

i have had my forks twist in the clamps....not move up or down but if one is possible so is the other.