Sign in to follow this  

How to fix this crank shaft oil leak?

This is the crank shaft on a '73 Honda XL175. The oil seal is leaking profusely from the inside while running. Anybody know the easiest way to fix this? Does the entire engine have to be disassembled (I have no garage to do this in so this wouldn't work for me.)?

Thanks!

DSCF5016.JPG

Thats not the crankshaft oil seal, it is the countershaft or what is often called the sprocket seal.

The cases do not need to be split to change this seal,pull the seal and replace,be carefull not to damage the bearing behind the seal.

I find it works good to use some grease on the seal to keep it from snagging and tearing on the output shaft.

This is the crank shaft on a '73 Honda XL175. The oil seal is leaking profusely from the inside while running. Anybody know the easiest way to fix this? Does the entire engine have to be disassembled (I have no garage to do this in so this wouldn't work for me.)?

Thanks!

Yup, a countershaft seal. They are known to leak on many bikes. I used a curved pick that I got from Harbor Frieght. I have also read that if that does not work you can run sheet metal screws into the rubber part of the seal and pull it out with a pair of vice grips. As stated above just be very careful not to run the screw in too far. (Use your new seal as a depth guide)