Sign in to follow this  

Rebuilding a bike, Kinda?

So I have a Beautiful 1998 rm 250 that was just rebuilt and had all the bushels and berrings replaced and new tires and all that jaz. I have it up on craigslist for sale or trade, and someone messaged me on a trade today. He wants to trade (2) 2002 yz250f's for my dirtbike. the catch is one of them has a bad bottom end and one has a bad top end. I was wondering if it would be possible to take the good top end and good bottom end and put them both on the same frame.. 

If I were you I woukdnt take that offer and wait for someone with cash in hand. The 2002 yz250f's are pretty old bikes for four strokes.

I wouldn't do this unless I were an experienced mechanic to do EVERYTHING myself.  That's a pretty involved job, mainly because you don't know what you are really up against until you take everything apart to do the job.

Also--I would prefer the 250 smoker over an early 2000s model 250F, just because the technology of strokers was pretty dinasaur at that point in history.

So I have a Beautiful 1998 rm 250 that was just rebuilt and had all the bushels and berrings replaced and new tires and all that jaz. I have it up on craigslist for sale or trade, and someone messaged me on a trade today. He wants to trade (2) 2002 yz250f's for my dirtbike. the catch is one of them has a bad bottom end and one has a bad top end. I was wondering if it would be possible to take the good top end and good bottom end and put them both on the same frame..

Don't bother , save yourself a headache

So.....You're thinking of trading a really nice bike for 2 rollers.  Then turning those 2 rollers + a bunch of $ (probably) into 1 runner, 1 basket case and multiple head aches.  Then what, sell? Project vehicles always cost more than you anticipate.  

2002 250f's are decent bikes, once you put the newer cams in them with the automatic decompression mechanism (about $450 to do).  Add $600 to that to freshen on to top end on the good bike before you put it on the good bottom end and you're already over $1000 into the bike.

Edited by 1987CR250R