Sign in to follow this  

Any alternatives to a KDX220?

I'm eventually looking for a stable mate for my DRZ400E.

I use my DRZ for tight technical, mud, stones & rocky, woods, fire trail, highway, ADV trips - everything and it does them all fine.

I've been considering a 2nd bike for a while. This one should be a lighter bike mainly for use on the shorter but more technical runs. I keep/kept flipping between wanting a smaller 4T (250f or Husky Te310 type thing) or a 250 2 stroke.

***I have no ambitions of MX or Enduro BTW*** :rolleyes:  :ride:

That was until I had a quick go on mates KDX220 and liked it. It's not an expensive bike but it seems to have been optimised for lane type riding, low down grunt rather than screaming power. No doubt most 2 strokes can be optimised by choice of pipe, carb, power valve etc.

I like the fact that the KDX is light weight & has Jap reliability/solid build.

One thing I also liked about my mates KDX220 is it appeared to be using about the same amount of fuel as my DRZ, that means it should have good range from the standard tank.

The enduro choices widely available here (used) seem to be limited to Orange or Gas Gas, I'm not keen on either but would go KTM if needs be.

Are there any other bikes I should be considering?  

I don't want high a maintenance costly bike but I'm prepared for this bike to be more needy that my DRZ.

Any thoughts guys?

The KTM is a more high performance alternative to the kdx, but it's not really built for the road. For tight technical runs, its is AMAZING though. If you ride more open stuff, consider the 250 or even 300 exc/xc-w/xc/mxc.

• Like 1

I recently purchased a kdx 220r myself and I find it's a great bike, definitely worth the purchase got it in great condition for a good price and I haven't encountered anything it can't do that other bikes can where I go riding, it is missing a bit of top end but still not bad and the torque is incredible, but honestly check a few out in the area and ask each guy if you could arrange a test ride and that will probably be your best means of deciding

okay, thanks for the input guys.

I suppose I'll also keep an eye out for good KTM then.

One thing I'd probably do for the KDX would be a KX fork upgrade (if it didn't already have them) so it'd make sense to get a bike that has good USD forks to start with.

Yamaha built a 2-stroke WR 200. They were only imported to the US for a couple years and are pretty rare here. They may be more plentiful in your neck of the woods. They were direct competition for the KDX'S. I think Gas Gas also built a 2-stroke 200.

CoKTM

Yamaha built a 2-stroke WR 200. They were only imported to the US for a couple years and are pretty rare here. They may be more plentiful in your neck of the woods. They were direct competition for the KDX'S. I think Gas Gas also built a 2-stroke 200.

CoKTM

Funnily enough one of our local rider has/had a WR200!

I rode with him last a couple of years ago though, at the time he said he was after a DRZ400 next. He's a friend of a friend so I'll find out if he still has it.

I have a kdx200 with usd forks in great shape. I have a kdx220 with a yz front end. I have a ktm300 with lots of grunt. I choose to ride my ktm200 because it feels nimble. My friend rides my kdx200 and keeps up with me, he's 60 i'm 56. We both are D- riders and having fun.

• Like 1

In the 200 range of 2strokes.

You really can't go wrong.

Kdx is good

Gas gas is good

KTM is good.

Just pick for your riding style and conditions. Just my 1¢