Sign in to follow this  

Drz 400 steering lock trouble

Hey guys I'm having a nightmare with my Drz, I've lost the keys for my steering lock, I've rang a local Suzuki and found I possibly can get a replacement set but for a cost.

Now what I'm concerned about is getting the old lock out for the New one, the flap that slide over the lock to me seems to hold it in place, if I was to grind of the spot weld holding the flap on, will this allow the lock to slide out? or is it sllightly more complex then that? thanks in advance

Hey guys I'm having a nightmare with my Drz, I've lost the keys for my steering lock, I've rang a local Suzuki and found I possibly can get a replacement set but for a cost.

Now what I'm concerned about is getting the old lock out for the New one, the flap that slide over the lock to me seems to hold it in place, if I was to grind of the spot weld holding the flap on, will this allow the lock to slide out? or is it sllightly more complex then that? thanks in advance

i believe your right. But the steering lock is always been rubbish and dont stop thievs getting it , mine is broke been broke for years. I use a chain and lock :D

Yea your right there it is rubbish that's why I have a screamer lock aswell, it's just nice knowing if you pop to the shops they can't just wheel it away with a steering lock on so it adds that bit of security for me :)

Don't drill or grind that rivet. The cover comes off pretty easily, use a long screw driver, flip the cover up and knock it out with the screw driver and a hammer. Bend the cover back straight and you can just tap the stud/rivet right back in.

Talk to a local lock smith first, if your lock has been used it's very likely they can remove it and make you a key, generally this is around $30 in my area.

If you must replace it, it's a royal pain (assuming you are drilling it out). I went through that, the lock actually managed to lock itself during the drilling process, and then there was really no turning back.