Is this cam safe to use?

5upe5e6e.jpg

Cutting wheel exploded while I was removing the auto decompression and nicked the cam lobe. Nick is big enough to catch my fingernail pretty good. Is it junk? I'm already in for a new head so if this won't cause any damage id like to run it. If its a bad idea I'll definitely replace it, I'm just not sure.

Run it.  Not a big deal.  But in the future forget the grinding wheel.  The auto decompressor can easily be broken off.  Clamp the cam by the ends in a vise and use a large Crescent wrench to twist and break the decompressor off.

Sweet thanks noble that's just what I wanted to hear. I actually started out just trying to break it off but it wouldn't budge. Dremel made short work of it though.

Make sure you remove ALL the pins for the decomp

Yes, watch out for this other guy, I don't remember now where he lives, but I guess it's on the cam shaft somewhere.t5hj.jpg

Yeah , beware , they are easy to miss if you don't pay attention

It is the alignment key.

Yep I was sweating a bit when I cut the decomp off not one but 2 cams with an angle grinder, thankfully no damage, more fool me

Why are you guys removing the decompression lever?, is that something that I should be doing when I get my BB kit this week?

Ron W.

Edited by rjsurfer

The decomp unit has been known to fail due to wear , many have no issues . Some have had issues , when failure occurs it can wreck the motor .

In my case , on removal I noticed less mechanical noise .

Why are you guys removing the decompression lever?, is that something that I should be doing when I get my BB kit this week?

Ron W.

In my case the smaller pin that holds the large pin in place (see above pic) sheared. It caused a nasty tap as the cam rotated and the large pin smacked the valve bucket. If you have the ability and a decent battery I'd say just remove it and save yourself headache and possible engine damage later. I still never found that small pin, hopefully it made it out with the oil (I didn't realize it was broken at that point so I never checked) and isn't still floating around. Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz

It is the alignment key.

Please don't tell me it's supposed to have remained in there. Doesn't look so, because it sat under/inside the decomp.

Edited by michaelks

No.  It's the alignment key for the auto decompression that is timed to crank position.  Once the auto decompression is removed the alignment key must also be removed or it will fall out.

No.  It's the alignment key for the auto decompression that is timed to crank position.  Once the auto decompression is removed the alignment key must also be removed or it will fall out.

In my case the smaller pin that holds the large pin in place (see above pic) sheared. It caused a nasty tap as the cam rotated and the large pin smacked the valve bucket. If you have the ability and a decent battery I'd say just remove it and save yourself headache and possible engine damage later. I still never found that small pin, hopefully it made it out with the oil (I didn't realize it was broken at that point so I never checked) and isn't still floating around.

The decomp unit has been known to fail due to wear , many have no issues . Some have had issues , when failure occurs it can wreck the motor .

In my case , on removal I noticed less mechanical noise .

Could this be causing my tapping noise/feeling? im feeling it even in the bars. i have taken both side covers off looking for the tapping but i cant find anything loose. im thinking thats the only thing left. ive already checked the chain tension. the tapping only happens after its warmed up and i've been riding for a few miles. and i only notice it at lights when im stopped. i dont feel it when im riding and i dont feel anything wrong with the bike except when i stop i feel it in the foot pegs and a little in the bars. i dont have the rubber mounts anymore if that makes any difference..

Could this be causing my tapping noise/feeling? im feeling it even in the bars. i have taken both side covers off looking for the tapping but i cant find anything loose. im thinking thats the only thing left. ive already checked the chain tension. the tapping only happens after its warmed up and i've been riding for a few miles. and i only notice it at lights when im stopped. i dont feel it when im riding and i dont feel anything wrong with the bike except when i stop i feel it in the foot pegs and a little in the bars. i dont have the rubber mounts anymore if that makes any difference..

Easy enough to check, pull the valve cover and have a look.

Easy enough to check, pull the valve cover and have a look.

thats the first thing i did. how do i tell if theres a problem with it? 

thats the first thing i did. how do i tell if theres a problem with it?

There's a big pin that I don't have a picture of at the moment on the exhaust cam. Shouldn't have be able to move that pin too much. Better yet just take a picture of the whole decomp assembly

There's a big pin that I don't have a picture of at the moment on the exhaust cam. Shouldn't have be able to move that pin too much. Better yet just take a picture of the whole decomp assembly

when yours was having trouble did it vibrate the whole bike? i can feel tapping through the whole motor.. thats why i cant pinpoint the exact cause...

when yours was having trouble did it vibrate the whole bike? i can feel tapping through the whole motor.. thats why i cant pinpoint the exact cause...

Mine wasn't running when I noticed it. But when I turned it over I would get one solid tap from the right side of the head. Not sure if it's your issue or not

Hard to say ... Hey , you could always remove it , if it still taps after that , you know it wasn't the auto dècomp :smirk: