Sign in to follow this  

About for one part on Drz

Hi guys,

I have a Drz400SM, I bought it 2 months ago.

Actually I'm a new rider..

I just wanna ask u guys about one part, what is this? What is this for?

It look very dirty (inside) how can I take off and clean it?

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1380572683.578118.jpg

Thank you so much guys, sorry for silly question but u know I just started :)

That is a radiator coolant fluid catch tank.  Coolant expelled from the radiator goes into the catch tank.  When the engine cools the fluid transfers back to the radiator.  You should check to see the radiator is full.  You can remove and clean the tank if you like.  And often people will put about 1" of fluid in the tank so there is always some residual fluid in the tank.

No need to drain the cooling system to clean the catch tank.  Although changing the coolant might also be a good idea.

• Like 1

Thank you very much guys..

So residual and it's limit aren't a problem right?

Is there any instruction for cleaning that tank?

I think there is 1 bolt and 2 hoses.  I'm sure you can figure it out.

Since there is no filler cap on the tank, you have to wash it out from the small hose nipples.  Might be able to add a few BB's or buck shot to slosh around in there to help clean.  Also be aware those tanks do not resist sun light very well and it may crack in the cleaning process.

Lol.. I mean instruction for take off the tank :p

its kind of a pain in the ass to fill it up. what i do (it sounds dumb but it works) is put it all back together and then pour coolant into the top of the radiator while sucking on the top hose of the overflow bottle. you have to balance between almost overfilling the radiator and sucking in air. It fills up a lot faster than just filling up the radiator to the top and waiting. you wont suck in coolant unless you fill the overflow bottle to the top but i wouldnt suggest sucking the air out of that bottle into your lungs. could anyone else tell me if this is a bad idea? 

Hi guys,

I have a Drz400SM, I bought it 2 months ago.

Actually I'm a new rider..

I just wanna ask u guys about one part, what is this? What is this for?

It look very dirty (inside) how can I take off and clean it?

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1380572683.578118.jpg

Thank you so much guys, sorry for silly question but u know I just started :)

The only thing I see dirty is throw off  from chain lube, a little solvent on a rag will clean the black splatters up .

Edited by Kioti

its kind of a pain in the ass to fill it up. what i do (it sounds dumb but it works) is put it all back together and then pour coolant into the top of the radiator while sucking on the top hose of the overflow bottle. you have to balance between almost overfilling the radiator and sucking in air. It fills up a lot faster than just filling up the radiator to the top and waiting. you wont suck in coolant unless you fill the overflow bottle to the top but i wouldnt suggest sucking the air out of that bottle into your lungs. could anyone else tell me if this is a bad idea?

Shoot , I just use a syringe and connect some hose ... Job done