Powder coating removal

Hi all had some parts powder coated and the idiots sprayed inside the brake drums wats the best way to remove it thanks

1380578528578.jpg

Help needed

powder coat is basically the same composition as paint 

any stripper made for paint should work I recommend a gel  and be super careful on the part you want to be unaffected

Air craft stripper is the best but be very careful. It will eat the paint off the part you want to keep powder coated if you get it on there. Another option I heard about on car forums is oven cleaner. Easy-off oven cleaner will take paint/ powder coat right off. Spray it on, let it sit a few minutes, then wipe it off.

Paint stripper wont do much. I would go to a machine shop and have them turn the drums.

Permatex gasket remover will take it right off. And next time find somebody who knows what they are doing

Tell me about it pay good money for more time to piss around

The absolute, most awesome and EASIEST way to get that off of there is.....................

To take that back to the people that coated it and MAKE THEM REMOVE IT!

The easiest way I have found is it hit it with a blow torch until it burns.  Once it does you can just scrape the ash away and your down to bare metal.  I use this technique all the time to get the powder off the hooks I use to hang and ground the part to ensure there is a good connection.

Edit: Sorry should have read your post more carefully.  If you are only trying to remove SOME of the powder coating don't use a blow torch.

Edited by carters2

Have you tried just sanding the inside with a piece of emery cloth?

You can tell there's a lot of people here that have never actually tried to remove powder coating...it ain't the same a paint, folks. Not by a long shot.

You can tell there's a lot of people here that have never actually tried to remove powder coating...it ain't the same a paint, folks. Not by a long shot.

No S--T but did not here your way? I have used the Permatex Gasket Remover It works put it on wait it will come right off.

Sorry typo hear and missed your way thats ok but you see a buddy that powder coats told me that trick. If he does that then a little sanding will be fine

Powder coat is closer to plastic than paint.  I have never used a chemical stripper for it, but I do know that mechanical removal processes are time consuming.  The easiest and most complete thing to do would probably be turn it off on a brake lathe.

No S--T but did not here your way? I have used the Permatex Gasket Remover It works put it on wait it will come right off.

Interesting to know. I was calling BS on that but hey I've been wrong before. That is a great bit of info if it really works!

Acetone works magic on PC.

Why wouldn't u say something when u got the parts? Unless u told them to spray the insides, a good shop would fix a mess up like that.

All sorted used a dremel with a sanding disc came off easy

All I know is that one time I had to strip PC off of a frame and I don't know maybe it was just a very good job, that stuff was damn near impossible to get off. We tried acetone, paint stripper, sand blasting, everything. The only thing that worked and was still a huge pain in the ass, was a die grinder and sanding rolls. So maybe my experiences are different than other peoples'.

Hi all had some parts powder coated and the idiots sprayed inside the brake drums wats the best way to remove it thanks

attachicon.gif1380578528578.jpg

Maybe a barrel shaped wire wheel on an air drill?