Sign in to follow this  

But, but, but...I thought WP was trash?

http://moto.mpora.com/news/mxon-paddock-news-cls-to-split-with-pro-circuit-for-2014.html

Nolte will lead engine development himself, using his decades of GP tuning knowledge and there will be some major changes to the team’s set up, most notably WP supplying factory suspension instead of Showa or KYB.

Tommy Searle has already switched to run WP factory 52mm that are the same factory-spec as the KTM works team. The full-aluminium forks aren’t available to the general public and are coil spring, rather than the Showa SFF Air that Tommy has been using throughout 2013 to date. It is shock move to see a rider switch suspension brands so late in the season but Searle liked the WP units so much better during a test session in prep for 2014 that he immediately asked to use them at the MXoN.

kawasakiWP_zpseaa455ef.jpg

wait...wut? so you're telling me they could of used any fork they wanted to including coil spring showa/kyb and yet Searle explicitly asked for the WP units?

egg+on+my+face.jpg

Well, I wouldn't doubt that... some people get along quite well with the factory 52mm forks, look at how well the european KTM racers are doing? Did they not just win every single title in motocross this year?

I know its hard for people to understand and wrap their head around, but those forks share not a single piece of technology with the mass-produced forks in our motorcycles at home. In fact, the WP 52mm forks on the top end are very much like Showa's, with a very unique cone valve system. So next time you see KTM factory forks on a motorcycle, think stolen Japanese design, not modified production design. ;)

Edited by tye1138

so when you talked to Roczen at pala about his suspension and his complaints (on these very same forks...), you make a post on here and your blog about how WP sucks, heres the proof "even Roczen is having issues", but then when Searle takes the "superior" jap stuff off and puts on the very same WP forks and praises them to the point that he switches to them right before the mxon, its because they are "stolen" technology from the japs? so which is it? you didnt have a problem calling the cone valve forks junk after meeting Roczen....

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Ha, ha, ha, ha at someone stealing from the "Japs" who are the king of reverse engineering. :rolleyes:   Kinda like the 83 Honda CR480 that was a Maico clone or the Yamaha 750 that was a BSA/Triumph clone. There aren't a lot of original ideas out there in the motorcycle world of engineers.  Well, other than the Suzuki Full Floater of the early 80's.  But they lost the lawsuit to the American who designed it for them :banghead:  before they kicked him to the curb and made some minor changes and then called it their own.  Oops. :p

Remember, it's only your design as long as the Judge says so.

• Like 1

so when you talked to Roczen at pala about his suspension and his complaints (on these very same forks...), you make a post on here and your blog about how WP sucks, heres the proof "even Roczen is having issues", but then when Searle takes the "superior" jap stuff off and puts on the very same WP forks and praises them to the point that he switches to them right before the mxon, its because they are "stolen" technology from the japs? so which is it? you didnt have a problem calling the cone valve forks junk after meeting Roczen....

Kenny's complaints are echoed throughout the world of 52mm WP Factory A kit forks. They are very difficult to setup right and are extremely sensitive to varying track conditions. So on a nice smooth track, Kenny would kill it and on a beat up track, the forks would kill Kenny's stamina. Same goes for Marvin and Ryan, the two of them suffered greatly with fatigue this past outdoor season. If it were Kenny's riding style, then the other two KTM riders wouldn't suffer... But it seems very clear that when the track is beat, all three of them suffer greatly, with Kenny being usually the least to suffer out of the group. I mean, he's literally ready to quit KTM because he's tired of the suspension issues. Thats not something you hear from a rider on a regular basis. 

In terms of Tommy Searle's case, Showa doesn't allow riders to use the older kits anymore, nor would anyone have them sitting around.  Sadly, the only other radially available "A" kit with conventional coil springs is the 52mm WP kit. When Tommy tested them, he liked them because thats what he's use to, he likes coil spring forks. So it was a no-brainer to make the switch and since a majority of the field run KTM's in Europe, there is plenty of support for the 52mm WP A kit forks and Trax shock. 

Tommy did good in the MXoN, that track was beat to shit and he survived well. 

you forgot to mention that the one off forks Kenny was using that day looked like a sort of KYB fork.. Plus suspension is subjective so it doesnt really matter if searle likes the WP and hates the showa its whatever works for him and Kudos to his team mgr for letting him toss Showa parts in favor for somthing else. Most of the time your stuck with a brand.. and I can promis you kenny would be running some fork of showa fork like he did at kawi..

. I mean, he's literally ready to quit KTM because he's tired of the suspension issues. Thats not something you hear from a rider on a regular basis. 

Do you really believe this stuff?

Btw:

It was a common european hard packed track...

• Like 1

It didn't look any rougher than some of the ama nationals ? Ac seems to cope with his wp stuff on every track , I think at the mxdn he could have gone faster if he wanted to

No wonder I loved my 83 CR480 so much:) !!

Ha, ha, ha, ha at someone stealing from the "Japs" who are the king of reverse engineering. :rolleyes:   Kinda like the 83 Honda CR480 that was a Maico clone or the Yamaha 750 that was a BSA/Triumph clone. There aren't a lot of original ideas out there in the motorcycle world of engineers.  Well, other than the Suzuki Full Floater of the early 80's.  But they lost the lawsuit to the American who designed it for them :banghead:  before they kicked him to the curb and made some minor changes and then called it their own.  Oops. :p

Remember, it's only your design as long as the Judge says so.

Kenny's complaints are echoed throughout the world of 52mm WP Factory A kit forks. They are very difficult to setup right and are extremely sensitive to varying track conditions. So on a nice smooth track, Kenny would kill it and on a beat up track, the forks would kill Kenny's stamina. Same goes for Marvin and Ryan, the two of them suffered greatly with fatigue this past outdoor season. If it were Kenny's riding style, then the other two KTM riders wouldn't suffer... But it seems very clear that when the track is beat, all three of them suffer greatly, with Kenny being usually the least to suffer out of the group. I mean, he's literally ready to quit KTM because he's tired of the suspension issues. Thats not something you hear from a rider on a regular basis. 

In terms of Tommy Searle's case, Showa doesn't allow riders to use the older kits anymore, nor would anyone have them sitting around.  Sadly, the only other radially available "A" kit with conventional coil springs is the 52mm WP kit. When Tommy tested them, he liked them because thats what he's use to, he likes coil spring forks. So it was a no-brainer to make the switch and since a majority of the field run KTM's in Europe, there is plenty of support for the 52mm WP A kit forks and Trax shock. 

i forgot about this thread until someone repped me.

how does showa stop someone from using a set of forks??? do you really belive they couldnt get a set of kit forks?

i also assume you interviewed Searle about why he picked the WP over any other fork right? he told you during that interview "i prefer the coil spring fork Tye, thats the only reason i picked the WP fork" ?

Edited by mynewcr250

Seems like I have to apologize to Tye.

Just got the information that a well known German tuner has been flown to the states to sort out kennys suspension.

• Like 1

Seems like I have to apologize to Tye. Just got the information that a well known German tuner has been flown to the states to sort out kennys suspension.

Sa'll good. Kenny spilled the beans about his frustration to me and I posted it on my blog because it was a very nice encounter. It wasn't really meant for "forum" consumption, but alas it wound up on here and like always, pulled apart by the barking dogs of thumper talk. ;)

Seems like a case of wrong tuner , not wrong suspension , caroli seems to cope with deep sand and extreme hard pack and goes fast and doesn't whine , roczen set the fastest lap of any bike on his poor suspension.

Well, I dont know whats the reason and I cant predict something.

All I know is that the tuner of kennys RMZ-time has been flown to the US for testing because he (kenny) isnt very satisfied with the current performance.

I just felt I have to "publish" that because of Tye's post and my and others reaction...

Edited by Vietze

Seems like a case of wrong tuner , not wrong suspension , caroli seems to cope with deep sand and extreme hard pack and goes fast and doesn't whine , roczen set the fastest lap of any bike on his poor suspension.

Exactly and Kenny did mention the components are built well, its just the tuners in America don't understand how Europeans ride.

Now that Kenny is with Alden Baker, I think he'll do a lot better. His issue isn't just his suspension, he has major stamina issues and admits it.

So much better or no better ?

tony test many on his wp , he say the solva was better. but ktm is wp.

also about tyre tony was loving michelin

and we was bought his tyre cheaper....damn

I think the wp stuff is over stiff in construction , I have some older lower lugs that require a old axle and wheel setup , I bet that alone would improve the feel