Sign in to follow this  

What is the "storage tank" in the air cleaner schematic?

A neighbor brought home a '99 XR70 the other day. It looked like a roach when he got it, but it's coming along pretty well. Anyways, one major issue is that it doesn't have an air box. I got on motosport to find out how much money it was going to take to aquire one, and I saw there is a hose that goes to a "storage tank". It's part 11 here. What in the world is that?

Edited by tripleup05

Part of the emissions equipment.... yea I know....

Look for a complete air box on ebay $30 to  $50

I'd spend the extra and get a complete one with that "storage tank", it'll run it's best with the stock airbox

Or get a uni and use part of the old filter to wrap around the vent hose.  20 bucks new and much better performance.  Just another idea.  However, if he just wanted to flip it then stock may be a better option.

Or get a uni and use part of the old filter to wrap around the vent hose.  20 bucks new and much better performance.  Just another idea.  However, if he just wanted to flip it then stock may be a better option.

There is no old filter. There is not filter, box, boot, or anything. There is no telling how long it has been sucking dust :jawdrop:

I should probably teach him how to check valves. I know if my '05 450R ran without an air filter, the valves would be eaten away before a tank of gas was burned!

same with my '05 250X.  gotta love the Honda valves on the big bikes.  if there is nothing there, then i would go with the UNI.  20 bucks off Ebay and you are good to go.  I would pull the carb and clean it as I am sure there will be dust on the intake side.  Heck, just pull the carb and give it a good scrubbing.

you still need to vent the crankcase breather.  It doesn't look the best, but i just took some foam, wrapped the end of the tube and secured it with a rubber band.  Then tucked it out of the way.

Go with the stock airbox.

Saw a kid headed to the startline one day and he just had to go thru the big puddle next to me.

Yep he got me and then his bike died. Little foam airfilter sopping wet. Yes he cried when his bike would not restart.

Tripleup,

I will assume you won't cry when your filter gets wet.  Get the foam filter and use commen sense around puddles.  Re jet accordingly and the bike will run much better for you.

LOL no, but I have been thrown to throw a wrench or two when things go wrong :devil:

Anyways, my neighbor sold the bike to some random dude a few weeks ago. With my help, he was planning on helping him get it running and looking like it just left the factory, and the next thing I know, I see some redneck without a t-shirt test riding it around our subdivision. Considering the dude's cut off jeans shorts, lack of a shirt, and overall derelict condition of his pickup he threw the bike into after handing over the cash, I doubt he cares that it doesn't have an air filter. With that said, if he paid the $350 for it that the ad requested, he is a moron.