Thinking of moving down to a newer 250f

So right now I have an 07 KX450F that is a retired race bike. I have very little money in it. It was owned and raced by a friend so I know the history. Im a woods rider, and I've been without a bike for a couple years. I got a chance to pick this thing up to trail ride when he moved to a new blue bike. After 2 rides I've been bitten by the bug again. I want to start doing regional hare scrambles here in the southeast. The bike saw 4 seasons doing just that. I am 5'10 170lbs and fairly quick in the woods for someone who hasn't competed in HS or Enduro. This bike is sprung and valved for someone almost 100lbs heavier than me. You can imagine how that feels. It has a lot of good mods already done and had a new top end put in before I bought it. Valves are in spec. No weird noises, pulls hard, etc. It has an aftermarket triple clamp, cut down bars, an 18" rear wheel, MRD exhaust, its jetted correctly, new stator etc.

It needs fork seals. If I keep this thing I will have to have the suspension redone. Other than that it is ready to go.

This is the first 450 I've owned and used in the woods. I know the 07 is among the lightest and most violent of the kx450's put out as far as power delivery. Between that and the clapped out forks with springs from a geo metro I feel like the bike is riding me in the gncc style trails and lets not talk about the super gnarly single track. He had a rekluse in it when he raced it. That might help some but I've never been a fan of the auto clutchs. I rode observed trials for a couple years and I can't wrap my head around the idea of feeling disconnected like that.

So I was thinking about selling this thing and getting a newer 250f. I shortly contemplated 2t's but 4t's suit my riding style better. I had an 06 WR250F for a year and loved it in the woods. I had much more fun because I could push the bike a lot harder. I did all of the free mods and it was no slouch sfter jetting and a pipe. I never had the suspension done though. This 450 feels like a battle tank in the tight stuff. It feels top heavy and does not inspire confidence. I know some of that is the suspension. Here is my dilemma. I want something lighter and more flickable with a more controllable power delivery to race.

Then I looked up the weights. :o

2007 kx450f is listed at 243lbs curb weight.

2014 kx250f is listed at 234lbs curb weight with less fuel.

Dimensions are basically the same. Having ridden trials I know 9lbs is a lot, but is it worth switching bikes over? I know somw of the added weight is from the FI which will help with the power delivery so it is a catch 22. The 2007 250f was just over 200lbs dry.

So TT, should I spend the money on a suspension refresh on the older modded 450 or pick up a new or lightly used 250f and mod it myself? I hate to dump money into the 450 suspension and still not feel comfortable on it. Since it matters I will make money if I sell the 450 so I wont be taking a bath on a swap.

I put this in the 450f section to try to get opinions from both sides.

I ride my 2013 250f exclusively in northeast hare scrambles. I had WER do the suspension and added a sizeable collection of woods parts. I've never wanted for power. stock engine, exhaust, etc. it's been very nice to ride, it doesn't scare me but it goes when I need it to. I don't think I'd have any interest in a 450 unless it had a huge flywheel to calm it down. I'm the same size as you are. let me know if you go this route and I'll get you suspension settings and spring rates that work well for a mid pack C rider. figure about 5 or 6 hundred dollars for suspension work. the stock stuff is like riding on a buck board.

Im 99% sure I will be faster on the 250f but the 450 is already here and all it needs is a suspension rebuild. Im struggling to commit that money and not be comfortable. I havent been on a newer fi 250f. How well do they turn in the tight stuff? Would it be a noticeable improvement? I rode sportsman and advanced classes in regional trials events so im not lacking in low speed ability. I can keep up with a mid pack gncc B rider until I get tired. Im not in riding shape at all.

I guess I need to level with myself on how serious I am about this. I'm the type that refuses to do anything competitive without taking it seriously and going all in.

mine turns very well, sometime too much so. I've got a scotts damper on and it helps me quite a bit. stock it wanted to push, softened up considerably for me and it turns nicely. I haven't ridden a recent 450, so I can't give you an honest comparison. I also only see B level GNCC riders when they lap me. :cool: I have no real regrets with it. it's easy to work on. I'd say it comes down to how much money you want to throw at it. it stalled easily until I put a rekluse in it, but that was as much my riding as it was the small flywheel. it wants to go all the time, it's not a really good partial throttle bike. it tends to be on or off, its just a little less pronounced than the bigger bikes are.

mine turns very well, sometime too much so. I've got a scotts damper on and it helps me quite a bit. stock it wanted to push, softened up considerably for me and it turns nicely. I haven't ridden a recent 450, so I can't give you an honest comparison. I also only see B level GNCC riders when they lap me. :cool: I have no real regrets with it. it's easy to work on. I'd say it comes down to how much money you want to throw at it. it stalled easily until I put a rekluse in it, but that was as much my riding as it was the small flywheel. it wants to go all the time, it's not a really good partial throttle bike. it tends to be on or off, its just a little less pronounced than the bigger bikes are.

That is good information. I think im going to get the 450 cleaned up and post it for sale. Someone will be getting a good bike.

Does the new 250 benefit from a new triple clamp in the woods like the 450? I know it made the one I have turn a hell of a lot better.

That is good information. I think im going to get the 450 cleaned up and post it for sale. Someone will be getting a good bike.

Does the new 250 benefit from a new triple clamp in the woods like the 450? I know it made the one I have turn a hell of a lot better.

I can't help you with that one.. the single biggest drawback to the 250 is the small tank. no one makes a bigger one yet that I'm aware of. I need gas after an hour or so. it's quick and I get a rest, but I'd really like a bigger tank and the 2012 doesn't fit.

Im sure someone will have one in the next year. It does have a very small tank. Hmm.

I think you'll be a lot faster and confortable/ confident on one of the newer fi 250f's! Just my opinion. I'm 5'11 about 145 lbs. I'm not a fan of riding the 450's thru the woods.

I went from racing a 08 450 to a 12 250, the 450 had a rekluse which made it work well in any terrain. I preferred it over my enduro 250 2t in tech stuff because of the rekluse.

The 250 turns better is much lighter on fuel, stops easier and easier to kick, won't surprise you on the power so you can ride it hard. Suspension is much better than the 450 .

Negatives are the valves, they don't last like the 450 does, you need to be in the correct gear to get good drive out corners where the 450 will pull any gear.

I really like riding my 12'250f in the woods, I race off road with it and some MX. I have ridden 450s and they are great tell it gets tight and technical.

IMS doesn't make a tank for 13 or 14 according to there site. but in a 2 hour race I have not burned out of fuel... and I don't fill to the rim either.  I keep wanting to buy there 2.9gal for my 12 but I still don't see a need... 1st time I run out of gas I will drive straight home and order one though...lol

Im 99% sure I will be faster on the 250f but the 450 is already here and all it needs is a suspension rebuild. Im struggling to commit that money and not be comfortable. I havent been on a newer fi 250f. How well do they turn in the tight stuff? Would it be a noticeable improvement? I rode sportsman and advanced classes in regional trials events so im not lacking in low speed ability. I can keep up with a mid pack gncc B rider until I get tired. Im not in riding shape at all.

I guess I need to level with myself on how serious I am about this. I'm the type that refuses to do anything competitive without taking it seriously and going all in.

Almost everyone but RV RD JS7.... is faster on a smaller bike im faster at my locally hare-scramble on my 2012 kx250f than my ktm 250 2 stoke but i enjoy the 2t more.

I know that u are talking about a 14 but my 12 is very good in the tighter stuff compared to my ol crf450r and i believe it would be a big improvement over the 450 in thigh tight trails