Issues fitting a FMF Gnarly pipe

Alright guys so at the beginning of the summer I picked up a FMF Gnarly pipe brand new for my 04 CR250R and two weeks ago I turned it into a pancake.  A friend of mine was selling used one that was in great condition with only a few small dents which I just picked up.  Here is where all my issue begin.  When I tried to mount the pipe up on the bike the first bend of the pipe interferes with the back side of the front fender.  I have to keep the bar turned hard left as it will begin to hit the pipe with the bars straight.  I would have to cut like 3-4" off the back side of the fender just to clear the pipe when turning the bars.  I am really confused as the pipe only has a few small dings in it and is otherwise the correct shape.  For that much interference I should see a large crease in the bend that stick out the left side of the bike but I do not.

I found the part number that is stamped on the mounting bracket and I called up FMF and they told me that the part number I read off was for a 03-04 CR250R.  My bike is a 04 CR250R.  I then thought maybe it was the aftermarket fender that is causing this.  I broke out the OEM one the PO gave me and compared it and it was exactly the same size and shape.  I don't currently have my pancaked gnarly as I just sent it out to FusionOne USA to be repaired but the only thing I can do is maybe see if my other gnarly is stamped with the exact same number.  I had no fit issues at all with the other gnarly pipe which is why I am so confused.  Has anybody else had troubles like this before?

Part #: 077-021041

1380471_299898016819847_2122723120_n.jpg

1377603_299898040153178_2045281922_n.jpg

734106_299898003486515_1156294461_n.jpg

i had issues like that with an fmf sst pipe on my 00 cr250. it looked and fit fine aside from the fact the first bend hits the front fender and melted it.

i just figured the bike was dropped in something a little more forgiving and it slightly tweaked the whole pipe.

i just ran it as is as it wasnt a huge deal for me.

these pictures arent quite the same as yours, but to me, it looks like the radius on your pipe at the first bend is much much tighter than these here. see how yours is almost circular while these have a flatter portion? i think the pipe you got is just bent a little.

edit: my fault, for whatever reason i thought you had a 2000/2001. i will try to find a 3rd gen cr

CRProgressMay08027.jpg

CRProgressMay08028.jpg

edit: here's on, looks the same as on the 2nd gen cr's

141_0510_12z+Honda_CR250+Right_Side_View

2004CR250R_n.jpg

Edited by mynewcr250

these pictures arent quite the same as yours, but to me, it looks like the radius on your pipe at the first bend is much much tighter than these here. see how yours is almost circular while these have a flatter portion? i think the pipe you got is just bent a little.

edit: my fault, for whatever reason i thought you had a 2000/2001. i will try to find a 3rd gen cr

CRProgressMay08027.jpg

CRProgressMay08028.jpg

edit: here's on, looks the same as on the 2nd gen cr's

141_0510_12z+Honda_CR250+Right_Side_View

2004CR250R_n.jpg

Thanks for posting those.  I see what you mean.  That is really unfortunate.  I bought the pipe because I was under the impression that it was only dented.  Now I have to send this one out to be repaired as well. :-(

i dont mean to sound like a cheap turd, but a fender costs $20 from rockymtnatv, a pipe repair costs $70+shipping and maybe even more. i would just cut the fender, run the pipe until i smash it and then replace the fender and the pipe, but i guess i sound like a cheap ass now lol

Yea I've seen this before, with bikes that have been jumped in the dunes and cased in the soft sand,

I could be wrong about your pipe....but the previous owner has possibly cased on a jump badly which has pushed the pipe upwards without leaving any obvious dents or creases that would indicate a problem to the buyer?

Just my opinion

• Like 1

i dont mean to sound like a cheap turd, but a fender costs $20 from rockymtnatv, a pipe repair costs $70+shipping and maybe even more. i would just cut the fender, run the pipe until i smash it and then replace the fender and the pipe, but i guess i sound like a cheap ass now lol

That's a good point.  I have the red OEM fender that came with the bike.  It's a little beat but I will only be running it when I am using this particular Gnarly pipe.  I paid $100 for it and as you mentioned a pipe repair costs $70 plus shipping which basically puts me at the price of a brand new Gnarly.  I am so disappointed that I paid as much as I did for the pipe thinking that it was not bent.  I bought it under the impression that it was not bent.  Story of my life...I get f'd on everything I do.

That's a good point.  I have the red OEM fender that came with the bike.  It's a little beat but I will only be running it when I am using this particular Gnarly pipe.  I paid $100 for it and as you mentioned a pipe repair costs $70 plus shipping which basically puts me at the price of a brand new Gnarly.  I am so disappointed that I paid as much as I did for the pipe thinking that it was not bent.  I bought it under the impression that it was not bent.  Story of my life...I get f'd on everything I do.

dont feel so bad, that sst that i bought was the same deal. visually it looked perfect, seemed that it matched the stock shape fine, and i think i paid about the same, maybe $120? it happens, just beat the hell out of it and get your money's worth ?

dont feel so bad, that sst that i bought was the same deal. visually it looked perfect, seemed that it matched the stock shape fine, and i think i paid about the same, maybe $120? it happens, just beat the hell out of it and get your money's worth ?

You've convinced me. I am just going to run it with a cut fender. It is a backup pipe after all. Thanks!