What's everyone do for cylinder prep for fresh rings

Nothing in my Honda manual other than clean and inspect.

Anyone doing anything for what used to be called "deglazing", or is that obsolete ...... just like me 

If the cross hatch pattern is good most people just scrub it with a scotchbrite pad and wash with water.  If the cross hatch pattern is lite or there is a little scuffing I use a ball hone and mineral oil to freshen them up, then wash it well.  With the ball hone it needs just a few seconds and keep the hone moving back and forth.  Leaves a perfect pattern and is not difficult. 

Edited by willbilly

Just a 20 second hone with kerosene, never had a problem.

If the cross hatch pattern is good most people just scrub it with a scotchbrite pad and wash with water. If the cross hatch pattern is lite or there is a little scuffing I use a ball hone and mineral oil to freshen them up, then wash it well. With the ball hone it needs just a few seconds and keep the hone moving back and forth. Leaves a perfect pattern and is not difficult.

Ditto

I always inspect mine with a bore gage to make sure they arent egg shaped...then just like stated about either scotchbrite or hone them

scotchbrite pad in hone marks, then hot soapy water till a white paper towel or rag comes clean.

+1

On all the re-builds I did, I just take it to Honda of Sanford and pay the 20 bucks for the prep work. They woul clean any old gasket letf on the base and head portion, hone it and clean it really good. Worth it to me.

Wire wheel drill bit i had was perferct for my yz250 cylunder.. ran it thru a couple times and put a light coat of oil in it

Green Scotch brite pad and WD-40 followed by MEK or other solvent.

Tried the Scotch Brite - seemed frivolous. 10 seconds with lubed ball hone and it looks like new.

Thanks for all the input !

medium scuff pad (red i think is the scotch brite medium pad) wd40 and scrub the cross hatch. Rinse with hot soapy water dry and done.

Ball Hone, or the rigid. I've got both.